Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Hey kids! It's time for qwksndmonster's contradiction observation of the uncertain time unit.

Words cannot describe how bad that contract is.

In this part of the post, some guy says a thing about how words cannot describe a thing...

Kesler has already declined and that carries him through his 32-38 seasons, with a full NMC until he's 37.

then he uses words to describe that thing

That's all, folks!  See us next time on: The Eastern Conference Finals in the Dream Stanley Cup Run thread! (ha!)

Hey kids! It's time for qwksndmonster's contradiction observation of the uncertain time unit.

In this part of the post, some guy says a thing about how words cannot describe a thing...

That's all, folks!  See us next time on: The Eastern Conference Finals in the Dream Stanley Cup Run thread! (ha!)

This may or may not be relevant, but I read your location as "Asshat by the Shadow" :p

That's a lot of money for a team will a tough road ahead. They have not drafted well, their minor league team is not stocked with prospects. For the last decade they have shipped off high round draft picks for players that they thought would give them deep playoff runs.

In a year or two their going to have no Malkin, an at best average defense, questionable goaltending, an aging Crosby and an over paid primo Doña. Their headed for hockey purgatory of finishing just in/out of the last playoff spot, or a self induced tank in my opinion.

who's to say he was characterizing the words that followed as ably descriptive? perhaps he was engaging in an admittedly futile exercise as a means of demonstrating the impossibility of the task.

asshat.

That's a lot of money for a team will a tough road ahead. They have not drafted well, their minor league team is not stocked with prospects. For the last decade they have shipped off high round draft picks for players that they thought would give them deep playoff runs.

In a year or two their going to have no Malkin, an at best average defense, questionable goaltending, an aging Crosby and an over paid primo Doña. Their headed for hockey purgatory of finishing just in/out of the last playoff spot, or a self induced tank in my opinion.

lets hope so :w00t:

In 5 years i can see them blow it all up and buy out Kessel.

Edited by Heimdall

Words cannot describe how bad that contract is. Kesler has already declined and that carries him through his 32-38 seasons, with a full NMC until he's 37.

Agreed. I get the 'win now' mentality they have, but the money and NMC will come back to haunt them.

No owner ever, I my knowledge, has bought a team because they were in a position to win, or vice-versa. 

Fun fact, that price for the Penguins? $700-$800 million? Costs more than it took to fly by Pluto ($720 million)

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/07/15/reality-check-trip-to-pluto-costs-less-than-vikings-stadium/

Edited by WildCard

Agreed. I get the 'win now' mentality they have, but the money and NMC will come back to haunt them.

No owner ever, I my knowledge, has bought a team because they were in a position to win, or vice-versa. 

Fun fact, that price for the Penguins? $700-$800 million? Costs more than it took to fly by Pluto ($720 million)

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/07/15/reality-check-trip-to-pluto-costs-less-than-vikings-stadium/

It's not winning, it's profits. When selling a business you use past performance to predict future earnings. The Penguins have done well with profits, but stocked poorly for future winning. A new owner is going to look and see what has been done to ensure future winning both on the ice and financially.

Then Sabres sold relatively "cheap" because there was little past performance to sell of off and what previous history was a valuable did not make for a good sell. The Penguins are in the complete opposite position, great profitable history, but not a very good forecast for the future.

It's an MSRP of 800 million when using the "look at what we've done in the past". Potential buyers are not going to paint such a rosy picture.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Here ya go TrueBlue, the "3 Greatest Myths About the NHL Today"

1) +/- is useful

2) Faceoffs are important

3) Players peak at 27-30 

http://thehockeywriters.com/3-myths-about-the-nhl-that-wont-go-away/

1st and 3rd I agree with, the second I still feel is being under appreciated for how it can affect the flow of a game. If you win every faceoff in your own zone, there's a good chance no offense will come from that time. 

Here ya go TrueBlue, the "3 Greatest Myths About the NHL Today"

1) +/- is useful

2) Faceoffs are important

3) Players peak at 27-30 

http://thehockeywriters.com/3-myths-about-the-nhl-that-wont-go-away/

I think he just exploded.

RIP, TrueBlue.

Was it as good for you as it was for me?

1st and 3rd I agree with, the second I still feel is being under appreciated for how it can affect the flow of a game. If you win every faceoff in your own zone, there's a good chance no offense will come from that time. 

Find me a team that wins anywhere close to every faceoff in their own zone. 

Edit: I should add that your argument isn't even true. Good teams produce plenty of offense even while losing draws in the offensive zone.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Find me a team that wins anywhere close to every faceoff in their own zone.

Edit: I should add that your argument isn't even true. Good teams produce plenty of offense even while losing draws in the offensive zone.

It was a hypothetical; but I certainly feel it's overlooking faceoff importance. Are all of them important, no, but to say only a couple a game are important is a tad extreme

So I got my All-Star game ticket package offer from the Predators.  2 tickets to the weekend All-Star events in my normal seats... for the low, low price of $653.00.  Ouch.  For that price they should come with a free reach-around.

$653 to see a bunch of guys not try.  What a deal!

So I got my All-Star game ticket package offer from the Predators.  2 tickets to the weekend All-Star events in my normal seats... for the low, low price of $653.00.  Ouch.  For that price they should come with a free reach-around.

So you can come and go to all the events for that one price?

It's not winning, it's profits. When selling a business you use past performance to predict future earnings. The Penguins have done well with profits, but stocked poorly for future winning. A new owner is going to look and see what has been done to ensure future winning both on the ice and financially.Then Sabres sold relatively "cheap" because there was little past performance to sell of off and what previous history was a valuable did not make for a good sell. The Penguins are in the complete opposite position, great profitable history, but not a very good forecast for the future.It's an MSRP of 800 million when using the "look at what we've done in the past". Potential buyers are not going to paint such a rosy picture.

the team has been profitable when they had lemieux/jagr and crosby/malkin. Otherwise I believe they have been in position for bankruptcy multiple times in their history. They are going to get close to $700-800 mil because they have crosby and malkin right now who are profitable players (jerseys and other merchandise plus appearances and sponsors). The Sabres sold for much less cause they didnt have the big name marketable guys when sold and because the market is not looked at as a big profitable market. Sure they sell out with some of the lower to mid level priced tickets, but it's a blue collar area that isn't going to be able to spend huge for what they get cheap now.

Leafs and rangers could have no marketable talent and strip the team bare of nhl talent and prospects and they would still sell for an extremely high amount just because of the market