Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

Stars acquire Patrick Sharp and Steven Johns from Blackhawks in exchange for Ryan Garbutt and Trevor Daley

That only saves them $1.8M. Daley gives them a good defender, though. Garbutt will help some. I don't think they can fit Oduya in without another move. Bickell next?

Dallas is retaining 50 percent of Garbutt's salary.

Edited by Hoss

Chicago gets their cap space and their Oduya replacement.

Dallas adds to their boatload of firepower and probably has another move lined up to replace Daley.

Like this for the Hawks. Could like it for Dallas if the other shoe drops to replace Daley.

Will probably break the logjam stopping the Franson/Ehrhoff/Oduya signings.

Edited by dudacek

And I thought Bowman was going to get the 1st rounder, prospect and top 6 forward on an entry level contract that he was asking for.

He might have if he wasn't too busy eating Cheerios out of his second cup.  :rolleyes:

Stars acquire Patrick Sharp and Steven Johns from Blackhawks in exchange for Ryan Garbutt and Trevor Daley

I'd say that's a pretty bad trade for the Hawks, but Sharp's value couldn't possibly be lower--age, contract, coming off a bad season, and every team knows they have to dump salary. Meanwhile, Dallas should be a playoff team if one of their two vet goalies can be non-terrible.

I don't really get this move for Dallas. They were the highest scoring team in the league last year, and they just went out and added more firepower. Granted Niemi should definitely stabilize their goal-tending, but that defense is still poor. 

I'd say that's a pretty bad trade for the Hawks, but Sharp's value couldn't possibly be lower--age, contract, coming off a bad season, and every team knows they have to dump salary. Meanwhile, Dallas should be a playoff team if one of their two vet goalies can be non-terrible.

Hawks only save 1 mill i read somwhere, don't think they can sign Oduya still.

I don't really get this move for Dallas. They were the highest scoring team in the league last year, and they just went out and added more firepower. Granted Niemi should definitely stabilize their goal-tending, but that defense is still poor.

With Nishkinen coming back this season they will basically have added another 100 player points this off season for nothing. They're going for fire wagon hockey. It will be interesting to see how it goes. They're definitely not following the traditional path though

John Scott to Az....Lucic, Scott, McGrattan and Prust all in the Pacific division.  

That's a lot of people for Lucic to duck.

I'm seeing a few Dallas fans across the Internet who think that their defense improved by getting rid of Daley--addition by subtraction type of thing.

The Sharp trade is a horrible trade for the Stars. Giving up assets and paying $5 mil a year for a declining player like Sharp is not the way to continue building on what they have started there in Dallas. I have to guess that they were desperate to make some kind of move and Sharp was all that was left. Sharp days of being considered "fire power" are behind him. Likely a 15-20 goal scorer going forward, the days of hitting 30 are gone. 

Sharp's skills are declining but a rebound will probably happen this year because he'll be relied upon in the top 6 and play PP with Seguin, Benn and Spezza.

I wouldn't say the Stars are rebuilding by taking on aging players like Sharp and Niemi. They seem to be wanting to match up now, but their D is not top notch.

That's a lot of people for Lucic to duck.

I'm seeing a few Dallas fans across the Internet who think that their defense improved by getting rid of Daley--addition by subtraction type of thing.

This is becoming one of my pet peeves — the defence man who is universally bashed by a fanbase for being forced to play above his skill set. Guy got 16 goals for frick sakes.

Daley is a good NHL defencemen. He's not a top-pairing guy, but since Dallas doesn't have any of those he's forced to play heavy minutes against elite players.

Playing behind Keith and Seabrook he will be loved. 

Just like Oduya will be a "disappointment' if he has to pick up Daley's minutes in Dallas.

This is becoming one of my pet peeves — the defence man who is universally bashed by a fanbase for being forced to play above his skill set. Guy got 16 goals for frick sakes.

Daley is a good NHL defencemen. He's not a top-pairing guy, but since Dallas doesn't have any of those he's forced to play heavy minutes against elite players.

Just like Oduya will be a "disappointment' if he has to pick up Daley's minutes in Dallas.

That may well be a fair observation.  I know little to nothing about the guy.

I can't say I've ever paid attention to Daley's play and ability, but in general I think you're on to something here. This is the same kind of thing that has happened with fan perception of Phaneuf--we laugh and make fun of him because he looks terrible when forced to play #1 tough minutes because Toronto doesn't have anyone else to do it. But put him in a 2/3 role where he gets easier minutes and can bomb away on the power play and I bet his value would skyrocket. We saw it first-hand here with Derek Roy getting a lot of fan angst essentially because he was a #2 being forced to play the #1 center role, and Ehrhoff being given tough minutes because there was nobody else to do it, and so on.

Noah Hanifin signed his entry-level deal with the Canes. Marner is the last of the unsigned top-five. Hanifin signing has surprised some who thought he would go back to college.

So does that mean he starts October with the big boys?