Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

So, I'm watching this Oilers game,...

Do you have to wear a home jersey in order to get into the arena?

I want this noted forever.  Not because I'm against swampy here.  That city (small) is nuts and I think they all have the same shirts.  

Yes, but why Large Elderly American Saddle Bred?

Let me get this straight. 

It took you 2x times to see that the stick was lodged in both skates but instantly you looked to see the URL of the video?

You see what others do not see, and ask questions others do not ask. You are what makes this forum so much fun. Well done.

Winless Leafs vs winless Bluejackets right now. God I hope Columbus wins :devil:

Columbus is a mess. I know we beat them but....

Edited by Woods-Racer

I want this noted forever.  Not because I'm against swampy here.  That city (small) is nuts and I think they all have the same shirts.  

I know it was there home opener, but it was almost creepy. It had to be some kinda jersey give-away or something, I mean,… it had to be, right?

Columbus will be fine! (When it's too late)  I did this analysis in the game thread, but I think it's worth re-posting here.

Living in Columbus and having friends that are Jackets fans, I pay attention to them casually.

OK, tell me if this sounds eerily similar to something we lived through in the not-so-distant past.

2012-2013: Finished tied for 8th in Western Conference with Minnesota but lost the tiebreaker and missed the playoffs.  Started out 5-12-3.  Finished 24-17-7.

2013-2014: Finished 7th in Eastern Conference and lost to Pittsburgh in first round of playoffs.  Started out 10-14-3.  Finished 43-32-7.

2014-2015: Finished 11th in Eastern Conference.  Started out 6-15-2.  Finished 42-35-5.

2015-2016: So far have started 0-5.

The Blue Jackets have taken the old Sabres' "heroic run to 8th" strategy and have heroically run with it.  These slow starts have killed them and even though by the end of the season they are one of the better teams in the league, they buried themselves in a huge hole that they usually can not get out of.  And even if they do barely squeak in they get eliminated by a top seed.

They give up so many points at the beginning of every year and it just kills them in March and April.  My supervisor who is a huge fan just shakes his head over this.  I just tell him "I've been there":  No man's land in the draft and no man's land for the playoffs.

That's the kind of thing that tried to say a lot but means little.  The bite is centered on what Broward County gets if the Panthers leave.  For a whole $86 million in money it doesn't sound like much. I would think the NHL could afford to move the Panthers.

It's a joke really. That kind of attendance is an absolute joke. I feel for any player who has to play there, other than the weather of course.

That's the kind of thing that tried to say a lot but means little.  The bite is centered on what Broward County gets if the Panthers leave.  For a whole $86 million in money it doesn't sound like much. I would think the NHL could afford to move the Panthers.

It's a joke really. That kind of attendance is an absolute joke. I feel for any player who has to play there, other than the weather of course.

I agree, to a point. Two things that need to be considered. Take the bottom 7-8 teams in attendance and most of them have ticket discounts days before a game that isn't selling well. When the new onwer came in he said that was going to end because he said it wasn't fair to fans that paid full price to be sitting next to somebody that paid half as much. When you're a non-playoff team, that will make a considerable impact on the attendance numbers. Also, the Panthers have had pretty good attendance in the past when they had good teams. 2011-12 when they won the division and even the following year when they unloaded all the guys that got them there, the attendance was middle of the pack. All while the typical low attendance teams were still near the bottom.

This is supposed to be the year the Panthers break through from their long rebuild. I want to wait and see how the attendance turns out by the end of the year before deciding whether or not the Panthers should stay or not. Viola also owns Sunrise Sports and Entertainment group, if he leaves he takes all the arena events with him which leaves the county with an empty arena.

The Florida Panthers need to figure out a way to integrate themselves into the culture.  How that is accomplished I am unsure but charity work, youth leagues, street hockey, partner with looking breweries etc... they have to find a way to become part of that community.