All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

I don't doubt this for a second, especially in light of Wawrow's scoop yesterday. The Sabres wouldn't have leaked that otherwise. And I'm convinced more than ever that once Pegula learned that Toronto had re-entered the picture, he wasn't gonna be played and he pulled the offer. I think that reflects well on him, too. It's all well and good that Babcock found the job of his dreams and his family is OK with it, etc, but I don't think this reflects well on him at all. If he doesn't produce in Toronto, he may well have signed his last coaching contract for a long time. 

GO SABRES!!!

I would love to find out Pegula actually pulled the offer.

Terry's a big boy in the business world. He's probably done some version of what Babcock may have done. What did Babcock do wrong? I'm hearing words like "shady" from Bulldog. Is it really shady?

eh no.  It's but it's business. 

Terry's a big boy in the business world. He's probably done some version of what Babcock may have done. What did Babcock do wrong? I'm hearing words like "shady" from Bulldog. Is it really shady?

Now you sound like someone that started as an anti-tanker and then switched.

Wrong is wrong.  If Babcock did stiff the Sabres then the Leafs will get what they deserve.

I don't think so at all. I'm really disappointed he didn't choose to come here, but these attacks on his character for playing two bidders against one another are insane. He didn't do anything wrong.

It's impossible to answer this question without knowing what Babcock said to the Sabres. 

It's impossible to answer this question without knowing what Babcock said to the Sabres. 

Some of the tweets coming out are interesting though.

It does sound like they were played on some level.  We don't know now of course.

If the Sabres got hosed, they will likely leak the story to their journalist of choice.  The guy who has pissed them off the least lately I assume.

We may catch a whiff of what happened here soon.

I think it's probably an interesting story.

I'm imagining all the old white guys that run our front office being "livid"

Makes you scared to go into that office doesn't it!

Picture them all running around with angry eyes and sharp pencils just waiting to get their vengeance.

I be more scared lined up against Jerry Sullivan on a football field.

Good on him.  There is one thing that is a definite after this..

Babcock isn't a golden boy.  No matter what he played the game and he came out on top.  In so doing he backtracked on his winning team comments, and more.  Whatever, let him go.  He's nice to have, but he wasn't going to solve all the problems by himself.

There are others... there will always be others.

Beyond what he might have said — OK, guys, sounds good, I'll let you know for sure tomorrow — what could he have done that would be so wrong? Take the Sabres' deal to the Leafs? That seems like standard operating procedure in a negotiation.

Sabres were planning on holding a news conference this past Monday because deal was in place.......man they have got to be VERY pissed off right now. Toronto is going to be bullseye #1 for TM and Pegula.

I'm getting hung up on the wording. How could a deal have been "in place"?

Beyond what he might have said — OK, guys, sounds good, I'll let you know for sure tomorrow — what could he have done that would be so wrong? Take the Sabres' deal to the Leafs? That seems like standard operating procedure in a negotiation.

I'm getting hung up on the wording. How could a deal have been "in place"?

But "beyond what he said" assumes away the issue.  If he said words to the effect of "Thanks guys.  We have a deal.  I'll let the Red Wings and Maple Leafs know and I'll be here at noon for the presser." -- then what he did was break a commitment, and I would call that shady.

OTOH, if he said "Thanks guys.  That is a great offer.  Let me sleep on it and talk it over with the family, and I'll call you in the morning." -- then he didn't break a commitment, and I would not call it shady.

Who knows?  We sure as heck don't, so I'm not inclined to cast aspersions on anyone.

ZFG, meet ZFG. Get yer big boy pants on.

I said if he stiffed the Sabres.

If he told the Sabres that we have a deal you schedule the presser, even if he hadn't *officially* signed it yet, and then backed out it is more than shady.  It's wrong.

I don't want to come across as preaching here, but it's just wrong.

I hope not. If we're on Toronto's level and not smashing them each game I'll be very disappointed.

I'm planning on being disappointed. If people were setting numbers on how many more wins Babs would have been worth next year for the Sabres, Why wouldn't those numbers be the same for the Leafs? And it's not like they have no talent up there. They just stopped playing.

I don't think so at all. I'm really disappointed he didn't choose to come here, but these attacks on his character for playing two bidders against one another are insane. He didn't do anything wrong.

Happens to us often when we try to hire someone.  Sometimes we get the hire, and sometimes we don't.  Sometimes it comes down to money, and sometimes it comes down to something else.

It really is just business.

Happens to us often when we try to hire someone. Sometimes we get the hire, and sometimes we don't. Sometimes it comes down to money, and sometimes it comes down to something else.

It really is just business.

True but, using "being played" as motivation or revenge is often part of business too. It will be interesting to see what TPegs might have in store for the leaves because of this perceived slight. Revenge and gotcha is certainly part of politics... Edited by North Buffalo

True but, using "being played" as motivation or revenge is often part of business too. It will be interesting to see what TPegs might have in store for the leaves because of this perceived slight.

Winning Multiple Stanley Cups would be just fine to ease the bitterness of this debacle.

Winning Multiple Stanley Cups would be just fine to ease the bitterness of this debacle.

Yes, but until then i am sure there plenty of are creative irritants that can occur. Sophmoric sure, I am thinking a long lines of Animal House... Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.