All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

hamilton just tweeted that one of the issues being negotiated is babcock's power over certain personnel matters.

:unsure:

oh, and hey:  WE LOVE YA, JOHN! 

stop by and insomnia-engage Ghost any time.

Just as long as we don't have to listen to him on WGR. Just brutal.

hamilton just tweeted that one of the issues being negotiated is babcock's power over certain personnel matters.

:unsure:

oh, and hey:  WE LOVE YA, JOHN! 

stop by and insomnia-engage Ghost any time.

I'm sure he would tell us the Sabres didn't want this story out there.

Just as long as we don't have to listen to him on WGR. Just brutal.

I don't know that I've heard him there, to be honest.

I actually feel sort of badly for people in the various media outlets -- they're all expected to be multi-platformed in a way that a lot of them didn't plan for and may not be particularly well-suited for. I am thinking mostly of how the writers at the Buffalo News are now expected to make those weird video reports, most of which are tough to watch.

What does this mean?

He's said he's picked the Sabres as long as they can get a deal done?

He's taking buffalo's offer back to Detroit to see if they will match?

He's agreed to a deal and they are hammering out the fine print?

I NEED TO KNOW!

What does this mean?

He's said he's picked the Sabres as long as they can get a deal done?

He's taking buffalo's offer back to Detroit to see if they will match?

He's agreed to a deal and they are hammering out the fine print?

I NEED TO KNOW!

This one.  He's in the truck.

(Said the overconfident message board guy.)

Okay, what could Babcock legitimately want, knowing his experience as a "winning" NHL coach, with regards to player personnel that would be SUCH a big deal in negotiations? 

Why wouldn't you WANT to trust your big name, Stanley Cup winning coach with some roster flexibility?  Murray isn't a power-hungry dingbat, right?  Did I miss catching on to that part of his personality somewhere?

Okay, what could Babcock legitimately want, knowing his experience as a "winning" NHL coach, with regards to player personnel that would be SUCH a big deal in negotiations? 

Why wouldn't you WANT to trust your big name, Stanley Cup winning coach with some roster flexibility?  Murray isn't a power-hungry dingbat, right?  Did I miss catching on to that part of his personality somewhere?

Imagine if Babcock walks away. Holy cow, Murray would be done in this town. If not with Pegula. GMTM, welcome to #ZFG. You are low man on this totem pole now, pal.

Imagine if Babcock walks away. Holy cow, Murray would be done in this town. If not with Pegula. GMTM, welcome to #ZFG. You are low man on this totem pole now, pal.

I'm having a very difficult time believing this narrative, is all.  It doesn't make a lick of sense that roster flexibility would be an issue between Murray and Babcock.

I'm having a very difficult time believing this narrative, is all. It doesn't make a lick of sense that roster flexibility would be an issue between Murray and Babcock.

Agree completely.

I feel like I missed something: do most teams in the NHL not have GMs and coaches or can only one survive in each organization?

Agree completely.

I feel like I missed something: do most teams in the NHL not have GMs and coaches or can only one survive in each organization?

This narrative took root somewhere several weeks ago and it has boggled my mind since. 

It's almost like one of the WGR or Buffalo News guys put out the idea at some point, only to have a conversational pivot point to keep up a dialogue.

Hopefully he packed a goalie.  ;)

I am highly confident that GMTM and Irbe will deliver good-to-very-good NHL goaltending next year.

I'm having a very difficult time believing this narrative, is all.  It doesn't make a lick of sense that roster flexibility would be an issue between Murray and Babcock.

Who says it's a big issue?  All we know is that it's being discussed.

Uh, the ability to waste a 1st round pick on an Eastern Bloc forward w/ no possibility of ever coming to the Sabres? :unsure:

Or does this belong in Dwight's Putin thread. ;)

SOME significant input into the roster is fine and should be expected. Having more say than the GM would be a problem. It should be his (MB's) call who is in Ra-cha-cha and who is in Buffalo but the 50 under contract should be TM's call. He (MB) should be able to say, 'I can't work w/ so&so, get rid of the bum.' He should also be able to say 'we need a ____, can you get 1 at a reasonable price?' But the details of who comes in HAS to be the GM's call. I expect there will be a fine line in setting parameters that work for all, especially if he does get $6MM/yr.

It's probably a case of both Babcock and Murray knowing what they want and making sure they craft the language such that each knows exactly what their rolls are and where the overlap is. It's a very smart move to iron all that out before signing to set up a sound framework for future cooperation between GMTM and HCMB.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.