All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

Only thing I can figure is they are going after Stamkos next summer.

I just can't see TBL letting him get to FA, though

No way he leaves there. He'll get his money and an opportunity to win there; plus he's their captain and face of the franchise. He'll stay.

Not saying you think he'll leave, just that it'd be beyond moronic for the Laughs to anchor their hopes to Stamkos 

Maybe they said "You want to uproot us when we could easily stay here?  Fine, but if Toronto is offering the same $$ as Buffalo, it's gotta be Toronto."

A minor point: the kids are all adults. Well, they're at least 18, anyway.

How the hell are they going to go about doing that?

Kessel, Phaneuf and JVR are talented guys. Maybe Babcock thinks he can up coach them or trade them for parts that aren't futures.

Find a first-line centre (Strome, Nylander), add a few key FA role players to transform the culture, while a rebuilt scouting/development department uncovers a few gems.

Didn't say it was likely to succeed, but it might be the plan. No one said Babcock has a small ego.

Edited by dudacek

I would expect the Leafs are abandoning any outright tank plans in favour of building a good team for today, with or without Kessel and Phaneuf.

Can't imagine Babcock signing on for a couple teardown seasons.

If that's the path Toronto ends up taking, then I confidently predict this is going to be one awesome free agent bust. I'm serious. That team is not equipped for a quick retooling.

Maybe they said "You want to uproot us when we could easily stay here?  Fine, but if Toronto is offering the same $$ as Buffalo, it's gotta be Toronto."

It's not the same money.  Not when Canadian taxes are considered.  Not even close.  

Also, the Toronto Star has same money, but different term:  "According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, the Leafs landed Babcock with an eight-year, $50 million deal.

I think it comes down to roster control.

TIM GRAHAM ON TWITTER:

Sabres livid for way Babcock handled past few days. Sabres so confident he was coming that they were prepared for Monday news conference.

We don't know the full story, yet.

We may never know the full story.

But it certainly sounds like Babcock played us like the proverbial fiddle. 

It's not the same money.  Not when Canadian taxes are considered.  Not even close.  

Also, the Toronto Star has same money, but different term:  "According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, the Leafs landed Babcock with an eight-year, $50 million deal.

I think it comes down to roster control.

Well, you are right about the taxes -- although the difference is, distressingly, increasingly marginal -- but that quote indicates that Toronto's offer was better than the Sabres' offer -- which bolsters the theory that if the $$ was roughly equivalent, Babcock was inclined towards Toronto.

TIM GRAHAM ON TWITTER:

Sabres livid for way Babcock handled past few days. Sabres so confident he was coming that they were prepared for Monday news conference.

I would imagine the Wings aren't too happy with him either.

Should bring an added edge to the division next year.

I take back what I said when I first heard that Babs was going to Toronto, he's not the total badass I thought he was.  

I thought it was more about him creating a challenge for himself and winning another cup and becoming a sports legend.  Maybe he thinks that's all possible with Toronto, but it certainly seems like much more a $$ and status move, and becoming some weird amalgamation of HC/GM 

New Tweet from Shawn Stepner, WKBW:

League source tells me #Sabres thought they had deal in principle w/ Babcock 2 days ago around same term/dollars as Leafs. Maybe even 9 yrs.

This tweet was supported by another tweet from John Vogl confirming same.

Well, you are right about the taxes -- although the difference is, distressingly, increasingly marginal -- but that quote indicates that Toronto's offer was better than the Sabres' offer -- which bolsters the theory that if the $$ was roughly equivalent, Babcock was inclined towards Toronto.

Oh, I agree w/ the conclusion.  But the reason, to me, is likely roster control.  Nothing else really makes much sense.

TIM GRAHAM ON TWITTER:

As I said in my previous post, Babcock just used the Sabres! He jerked them around to get a better deal elsewhere. It is not complicated. He played the Pegulas and Murray for fools!!!!

New Tweet from Shawn Stepner, WKBW:

League source tells me #Sabres thought they had deal in principle w/ Babcock 2 days ago around same term/dollars as Leafs. Maybe even 9 yrs.

This tweet was supported by another tweet from John Vogl confirming same.

The tweet is a little old but yes Stepner has been saying basically the same thing for a couple hours now and Vogl confirmed he heard the same thing.  I have a suspicion Buffalo won't be overly quiet about it as in they will leak the details to the press. 

When was the offer pulled? Again, the reporting is that Babcock notified them he was out.

Thats the sense i get. Sabres thought the deal was done Monday evening. They went to sleep last night thinking they had a done deal. It seems to me that Babcock got the most out of Buffalo, knowing we were desperate, and then before signing the dotted line, went to Toronto and said if you can match this, im in.

I truly believe he punk'd us. Plain and simple.

I don't think this is the end of the world. The show must go on and time for GMTM to show his worth and conduct a real coaching search. For his sake, i hope he's been sniffing around during this period so he's not just starting from beginning.

I don't know if Babcock wanted to go to Toronto all along or what...

But it seems fairly clear the Sabres offered him the moon and thought we had a deal.

Babcock used the offer to get the same or more from Toronto.

As LGR4GM posted above, this could make for some extra fun during the Leaf games in Buffalo.

If only the building wasn't half filled with Leaf fans on such occasions.

It is really an interesting move. The question is, what the hell is Shanahan doing? He's fired a coach, hired and fired a coach, fired a GM, now hired a coach without a GM? 

Did he really hire a coach to be superior to a GM? If so, I really like this as a Sabres fan, because that organization from Scouting, roster, to farm and Office are a mess. 

Babcock is a great coach, no doubt. But this is really a serious rebuild for him.

What kind of GM comes in and how does this work with Babcock? 

Good luck Toronto. You've just made Leafs visits that much more interesting. 

great post

Thats the sense i get. Sabres thought the deal was done Monday evening. They went to sleep last night thinking they had a done deal. It seems to me that Babcock got the most out of Buffalo, knowing we were desperate, and then before signing the dotted line, went to Toronto and said if you can match this, im in.

I truly believe he punk'd us. Plain and simple.

I don't think this is the end of the world. The show must go on and time for GMTM to show his worth and conduct a real coaching search. For his sake, i hope he's been sniffing around during this period so he's not just starting from beginning.

I agree with your points all around.

I blame TM and Pegula!!!! Sabres suck, they always finish last. LOL!!! TM is going to be chased out for this.

Toronto is a better team!!!!!!!!

This could almost create even more of a mess up in TO.  There is going to be a power imbalance there between Babcock and whoever the new GM is.

That franchise is a long way away from being healthy.

Less competition for us!

If Babcock spreads himself too thin with other player personnel issues (think Bowman when he came here), and he can't immediately turn around the lockerroom attitude from last year (and it was bad), I don't give him much of a chance with that roster in the short term. I think they'll actually finish worse than last year. 

Let me mull it over. 

GO SABRES!!!

Not sure what that has to do with reneging on a deal he reportedly reached in principle with the Sabres yesterday.

GO SABRES!!!

who reported this? I never read anywhere the deal was agreed to in principle, only that Buffalo came with a second offer after the weekend.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.