All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

If you are a GM....you are sandwiched between Shanahan and Babcock, with everyone about to second guess you. 

That makes it hard to make a roster. 

Shanahan and Babcock argue over direction and the lackey in the middle keeps it all together.

Talk about a tough job.

It's pretty clear at this point that Toronto was exactly where Babcock wanted to be.  All these comments about Buffalo thinking they had a deal in place back that up.

Then isn't is also true that Babcock leveraged his Buffalo deal as well? No matter how you slice it, if he convinced the Sabres he had agreed (and these recent reports suggest the Sabres were under that impression) then this is just poor form by Babcock all the way around. It's just not an above-board way of doing business. 

GO SABRES!!!

Would you like to make a friendly charity wager that if the Sabres don't hire Dan Bylsma as coach.....I say the Leafs will have more points in the standings than the Sabres for the next 2 years?

I mean...more points next year......more points in '16-'17........

Here's where the rubber meets the road. I never said Babcock was a bad coach....I was just looking at the person. If the Sabres hire Bylsma, I want no part of the wager. Anyone else....Toronto is the better option and I am in. If the Sabres hired Torts....I'd take the hit just to win the Cup next year. :)

Serious proposition.......

Can't wait to bet against Buffalo, eh?  Let's see who Buffalo hires.  

I'm not saying it won't work out in Toronto, I just don't see how they organize it. But in the short term, Toronto is farther away from success than Buffalo. 

I'm as excited about the Sabres future as anyone but name someone other then Moulson and McCormick that had a choice and came here. The Sabres continue to get the second tier college free agents, European free agents and now coaching free agents. Winning may change that but for right now, it is the truth.

Gorges who in so doing gave TO the Big FU

I'm not saying it won't work out in Toronto, I just don't see how they organize it. But in the short term, Toronto is farther away from success than Buffalo. 

Yeah.  Toronto is years behind Buffalo in the rebuilding process.   It will probably take at least 3 years for Toronto to get to where Buffalo is now.  At least 3.  And don't forget, Buffalo is still a couple years removed from post-season competitiveness.   So Toronto is looking at 5 years+, if all goes well.   It's going to be tough for a coach with a winning record, accustomed to success, like Babcock, to going to managing 2 or 3 tank years ala Buffalo. 

Yeah.  Toronto is years behind Buffalo in the rebuilding process.   It will probably take at least 3 years for Toronto to get to where Buffalo is now.  At least 3.  And don't forget, Buffalo is still a couple years removed from post-season competitiveness.   So Toronto is looking at 5 years+, if all goes well.   It's going to be tough for a coach with a winning record, accustomed to success, like Babcock, to going to managing 2 or 3 tank years ala Buffalo. 

Makes you wonder what Shanahan has planned for Kessel and Phaneuf this offseason. I imagine Babcock feels safe with the plan for them as it was probably a big question for him

There is not an ounce of animosity in my post. And thanks for your support, but jeez Dwight, sometimes you are hard to follow. 

GO SABRES!!!

I understand. If I was understood I'd probably be married to some broad and posting on a slow pitch softball board.....

You can be hot and cold....which I appreciate, because it shows that someone is using their senses and not their greed. The honest fans are the theromstat of my soul.

And someone could have just :rolleyes: .......and still be an honest fan. That's the point.

I'm saying it probably won't work for the Loafs (80% certain) but IF there is an active coach w/ enough cachet to get Phaneuf & Kessel to NOT be primadonnas it would have to be either Babcock or Quenneville. IF those 2 buy into the system, it could work out for them and sooner than we're expecting.

Would you like to make a friendly charity wager that if the Sabres don't hire Dan Bylsma as coach.....I say the Leafs will have more points in the standings than the Sabres for the next 2 years?

I mean...more points next year......more points in '16-'17........

Here's where the rubber meets the road. I never said Babcock was a bad coach....I was just looking at the person. If the Sabres hire Bylsma, I want no part of the wager. Anyone else....Toronto is the better option and I am in. If the Sabres hired Torts....I'd take the hit just to win the Cup next year. :)

Serious proposition.......

If Babcock spreads himself too thin with other player personnel issues (think Bowman when he came here), and he can't immediately turn around the lockerroom attitude from last year (and it was bad), I don't give him much of a chance with that roster in the short term. I think they'll actually finish worse than last year. 

Let me mull it over. 

GO SABRES!!!

Except the reports are that Babcock notified the Sabres at 11:35 a.m. or something that they were out.

Not sure what that has to do with reneging on a deal he reportedly reached in principle with the Sabres yesterday. 

GO SABRES!!!

It's pretty clear at this point that Toronto was exactly where Babcock wanted to be.  All these comments about Buffalo thinking they had a deal in place back that up.

Think ya nailed it!

Me too.  I think as long as the $$ was roughly equivalent, he (and/or his family) wanted Toronto. 

I understand. If I was understood I'd probably be married to some broad and posting on a slow pitch softball board.....

You can be hot and cold....which I appreciate, because it shows that someone is using their senses and not their greed. The honest fans are the theromstat of my soul.

And someone could have just :rolleyes: .......and still be an honest fan. That's the point.

Good stuff, here. 

"Thermostat of my soul." Nice. I need to use that in the future. 

GO SABRES!!!

I'm saying it probably won't work for the Loafs (80% certain) but IF there is an active coach w/ enough cachet to get Phaneuf & Kessel to NOT be primadonnas it would have to be either Babcock or Quenneville. IF those 2 buy into the system, it could work out for them and sooner than we're expecting.

Wilson and Carlyle pretty much called both players un-coachable. 

We will see. 

No...

They hire Bylsma....and I am getting season tickets.

Anyone else and no-go....but the bet would be on if you want.

I think the Sabres are poised for a giant springboard improvement under the right conditions.

Wilson and Carlyle pretty much called both players un-coachable. 

We will see.

Which is why I figure it's a much greater probability of failure, but IF somebody could do it, wouldn't this be the guy to pull it off? Playing Joisey's advocate here.

Dreger:

Sources say Mike Babcock has been hired by the Maple Leafs. Mammoth 8 yr contract believed to be around $50 million.

A masterclass in negotiating by Team Babcock! He visits Buffalo with an owner willing to spend big knowing that he never intends to sign with them. He dangles for a few days to stir up a bidding war between Buffalo and possible suitors. A desperate Toronto takes the bait and outbids the Sabres for his services. Team Babcock just USED the Sabres brilliantly. At some point the Sabres smelled a rat and pulled their offer when they realized that they had been used as a tool to lever more money from Toronto. Great strategy. My guess is his wife and kids said NFW we're going to Buffalo!!!

A masterclass in negotiating by Team Babcock! He visits Buffalo with an owner willing to spend big knowing that he never intends to sign with them. He dangles for a few days to stir up a bidding war between Buffalo and possible suitors. A desperate Toronto takes the bait and outbids the Sabres for his services. Team Babcock just USED the Sabres brilliantly. At some point the Sabres smelled a rat and pulled their offer when they realized that they had been used as a tool to lever more money from Toronto. Great strategy. My guess is his wife and kids said NFW we're going to Buffalo!!!

When was the offer pulled? Again, the reporting is that Babcock notified them he was out.

Maybe they said "You want to uproot us when we could easily stay here?  Fine, but if Toronto is offering the same $$ as Buffalo, it's gotta be Toronto."

I would expect the Leafs are abandoning any outright tank plans in favour of building a good team for today, with or without Kessel and Phaneuf.

Can't imagine Babcock signing on for a couple teardown seasons.

Only thing I can figure is they are going after Stamkos next summer.

I just can't see TBL letting him get to FA, though

Edited by BRAWNDO

When was the offer pulled? Again, the reporting is that Babcock notified them he was out.

Ah, gotcha now. I misunderstood the previous context, so disregard my question. 

I think it's still not good form if Babcock gave the Sabres the strong impression that he agreed to the deal in principle and then backed out once Toronto was reported to be back in the picture. I mean Toronto wasn't even mentioned yesterday in the midst of all the "it's down to Detroit and Buffalo" reports. 

Anyway, I'm over it. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.