2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Trading #8 for Fowler is like getting #8 for Bogo - not similar in style, but similiarly 3/4 dmen not top 2.  Risto was a #8, would you trade him for #8?  Fowler is worth a Girgs and a 3rd, or something along those lines, not #8

Agree.

Correct.   However, Lindholm is worth #8, and more.

Fowler has a very cap friendly deal, Lindholm is an RFA and Vatanen just got his RFA deal.   I don't see how the Ducks can keep both Lindholm and Vatanen.

Lindholm would be worth 8, but would probably take little sugar on top to get it done.   ANA has only 6 picks in this years draft, BUF could easily throw in a few extra picks to move the needle.

One issue with Lindholm, which I haven't seen anywhere, is that his agent is Claude Lemiuex who of course is the father of former Sabres prospect Brendan. I'm not sure if he played a part in Brendan wanting to not play here and the Sabres look like are a better team when we had Brendan but think it's worth mentioning. 

I would absolutely do 8 for Fowler and a piece. I have suggested 8 for Fowler and the Ducks' first dor a while. I imagine we'd have to counter with another piece (like Baptiste or another mid-round pick).

I can't say for sure I would or wouldn't do this. For me it depends on the alternatives for sprucing up the D. Trading #8 is still my last resort, though very much on the table.

One issue with Lindholm, which I haven't seen anywhere, is that his agent is Claude Lemiuex who of course is the father of former Sabres prospect Brendan. I'm not sure if he played a part in Brendan wanting to not play here and the Sabres look like are a better team when we had Brendan but think it's worth mentioning. 

This is a nice little nugget. Still, Lindolm remains the pie in the sky ideal acquisition.

I can't say for sure I would or wouldn't do this. For me it depends on the alternatives for sprucing up the D. Trading #8 is still my last resort, though very much on the table.

This is a nice little nugget. Still, Lindolm remains the pie in the sky ideal acquisition.

I think if were trading for a Fowler type D then 8 will be part of it. I agree that Lindholm will not be part of it but I would prefer that option. Might just require a bigger deal a guy who has to clear physical in Ennis maybe.

Interesting sidebars to today's presser for the analytics crowd.

Murray said the Sabres calculate the chances of getting a Vesey- level player with a 3rd rounder is about seven percent.

Chances of and NHLer is between 10 and 30 depending on how you define NHLer.

It's not surprising to hear, but still, I thought it was good to get actual evidence that they do their own statistical analysis of draft picks to add valuation to their trades.

More directly he mentioned running their draft list through red flags caught at the combine through testing, and through their analytics guys to get a final list.

Just for fun, on hfboards the Ducks fans generally dislike the packages that include 8th overall. They want Samson for Fowler. Certainly not Zemgus straight up or 8OA for Fowler +. Now obviously it might not work out that way in the world of the GMs, and I would never give up Reinhart, but if we do get Fowler it'll probably sting a lot of people, and make a lot of them angry (he's my guy so I likely won't be pissed) 

Just for fun, on hfboards the Ducks fans generally dislike the packages that include 8th overall. They want Samson for Fowler. Certainly not Zemgus straight up or 8OA for Fowler +. Now obviously it might not work out that way in the world of the GMs, and I would never give up Reinhart, but if we do get Fowler it'll probably sting a lot of people, and make a lot of them angry (he's my guy so I likely won't be pissed) 

I'm not saying I would torch Tim Murray's car if this happened...but I'm also not saying I wouldn't. :devil:

followed by a job opening in buffalo :p

I think every team's fan base has a skewed perspective of the value of their player - too extreme one way or another.

And it's amazing how many players are untouchable saviours as rookies or a year or two before showing whether they are good enough for the show, and then become almost valueless after proving themselves decent NHLers.

See Ennis, Tyler, and Foligno, Marcus for example.

Edited by dudacek

Im confident. Murray is no dummy and wouldn't have traded a 3rd rounder if he had absolutely no clue if there was interest from the Vesey camp.

They have to be very careful of what they say publicly but there is no way, in my mind, that there wasn't a conversation between Eichel and Vesey and it has be relayed back to Murray.  Hopefully I am not wrong cause it will suck for this guy to snub the Sabres to go pay for the Leafs. Especially if Stamkos is offered $12M to play with Sabres and signs for Leafs for $10 or so.

This has a cold and familiar ring to it.

It's really just the other side of the coin. If the trade doesn't feel like a gut punch, you aren't giving enough.

Ya. I could see a deal for Fowler being something like, say: #8, Girgensons, and a 3rd, for Fowler and a 4th. Where it stings a little bit. Usually that's how trades seem to go down.

But trading someone like Reinhart for Fowler would be blasphemous.

Im confident. Murray is no dummy and wouldn't have traded a 3rd rounder if he had absolutely no clue if there was interest from the Vesey camp.

They have to be very careful of what they say publicly but there is no way, in my mind, that there wasn't a conversation between Eichel and Vesey and it has be relayed back to Murray.  Hopefully I am not wrong cause it will suck for this guy to snub the Sabres to go pay for the Leafs. Especially if Stamkos is offered $12M to play with Sabres and signs for Leafs for $10 or so.

This has a cold and familiar ring to it.

And that is why I strongly support a post by Inkman the other day. This is Buffalo. I won't believe until I see it. 

And that is why I strongly support a post by Inkman the other day. This is Buffalo. I won't believe until I see it. 

I'll prefer to be a glass half full guy, why live in the tortured past?

We'll Trade up to #4 for Tkachuk

Vesey will sign 7/1

Stamkos will sign 7/1

We'll trade for Fowler and/or Shattenkirk

"I think there are guys through the top 10 who could play right away, depending on what teams need or want" Murray on when players will be ready for the NHL. He also mentioned that college bound guys are probably out for jumping straight to the NHL because they will go at least to their first year of college which he indicated didn't bother him.

I'll prefer to be a glass half full guy, why live in the tortured past?

We'll Trade up to #4 for Tkachuk

Vesey will sign 7/1

Stamkos will sign 7/1

We'll trade for Fowler and/or Shattenkirk

That's optimistic, I will hope on Vesey for sure.  I would love Shattenkirk, but for the price Fowler is going to cost, I just don't like his game that much.  He is more of a second pair guy, and not the partner for Rasmus.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.