2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Dubois is a natural center from what I understand so unless they play to convert him or Draisaitl to wing this seems odd. Might get Vancouver to trade up with them though. Vancouver supposedly is taking Dubois. 

I see him as a Pavelski type, where he can play center and right wing.  There is a lot to like.  If he fell to 8, which seems unlikely, that'd be a great selection as well.  

Dubois play center and left-wing, so I believe if Edmonton wants to play him on wing they could certainly do so without much trouble. 

Tkachuk is going to Edmonton - 80 percent confident.

Though I did call the Oilers to make the playoffs last year - so any prediction should be taken with grain of salt.

He'd mark an improvement, with Caggiula as a different type of forward that they've gone towards from recently.  I know they drafted Bear, Jones, and a few others and guys like Davidson, Klefbom (if he can stay healthy) showed improvement....they're still the worst defensive structured team in the NHL.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

My best guess is the Oilers draft Tkachuk and trade 1 or two skill forwards for fill in their D.

Maybe Bogosian or Pysyk could come into play?

True, but if they're trading for Bogosian.....I'm hoping to angle in that pick. :D

My best guess is the Oilers draft Tkachuk and trade 1 or two skill forwards for fill in their D.

Maybe Bogosian or Pysyk could come into play?

Former Oil King captain Mark Pysyk for Eberle (and possibly some other pieces on each side) is one of the many rumor floating around out there in twatter.

IIRC, Risto, Bogo, and Pysyk are all right-side defensemen. We can spare Pysyk. We need a left-side defenseman.

Former Oil King captain Mark Pysyk for Eberle (and possibly some other pieces on each side) is one of the many rumor floating around out there in twatter.

IIRC, Risto, Bogo, and Pysyk are all right-side defensemen. We can spare Pysyk. We need a left-side defenseman.

At least one. But i'd be comfortable adding just one if he can play on the top pair, with McCabe and Gorges as the 2-3. 

At least one. But i'd be comfortable adding just one if he can play on the top pair, with McCabe and Gorges as the 2-3. 

I still say we need two at the bare minimum.  Gorges' play will improve being moved down in the pairings, but I still question if he's not too slow.  

I still say we need two at the bare minimum.  Gorges' play will improve being moved down in the pairings, but I still question if he's not too slow.  

Gorges is slow, but to get into the playoffs next year he'll suffice. Not to mention he is a vet and has played in the playoffs before so he's likely rather useful.

So what happens if we get 2 LHD's. Do we just dump Gorges or McCabe for scraps before the season starts? Put them on waivers? 

So what happens if we get 2 LHD's. Do we just dump Gorges or McCabe for scraps before the season starts? Put them on waivers? 

I wouldn't scrap McCabe, he played admirably in his first full year of regular minutes.  You probably could find someone to take Gorges.  If Ben Lovejoy can be traded and a guy like Engelland can make upwards of 3, you can find a taker in a weak market.  

Dreger: CBJ continues to listen to interest in #3 pick, however, sources say CBJ would like to attach a contract, (Hartnell) for cap space...1/2

...CBJ still has to extend Seth Jones which will be costly. Also approaching offer sheet time and Jones could be prime target.

I would definitely be willing to bring on Hartnell if it significantly lightens the cost otherwise. And I do think Hartnell could be a good player to have despite his brutal contract.

I wouldn't scrap McCabe, he played admirably in his first full year of regular minutes.  You probably could find someone to take Gorges.  If Ben Lovejoy can be traded and a guy like Engelland can make upwards of 3, you can find a taker in a weak market.  

So we dump Gorges for scraps and put McCabe on the 3rd pair and expose him to the expansion draft at the end of the season? Seems like a waste of assets to me. I'd rather pick up one upgrade at LHD and slot Gorges on the second pair and McCabe on the 3rd pair then protect McCabe and expose Gorges to Vegas going into the final year of his deal.

Dreger: CBJ continues to listen to interest in #3 pick, however, sources say CBJ would like to attach a contract, (Hartnell) for cap space...1/2

...CBJ still has to extend Seth Jones which will be costly. Also approaching offer sheet time and Jones could be prime target.

I would definitely be willing to bring on Hartnell if it significantly lightens the cost otherwise. And I do think Hartnell could be a good player to have despite his brutal contract.

Hartnell will come in and is usually good for 55 points.  He was stellar for them last year.  Easily was their best forward all season not named Jenner.  He could easily be sent elsewhere.  He's definitely a very "Joel Ward" type of physical presence.  Though Ward may be better. 

Couldn't we just buy him out or dump him in the expansion draft always?

Couldn't we just buy him out or dump him in the expansion draft always?

I doubt we'd buy him out. I imagine he'd definitely be exposed to the expansion draft but you don't "dump" somebody in the expansion draft because there's no guarantee he's taken.

Are we sure Jake McCabe is expansion draft eligible?

Yes. He's an RFA now so he is no longer on his ELC and he's played the required number of pro seasons. AHL counts. I would assume the European leagues count too but not Juniors and obviously NCAA players haven't signed their ELC's yet.

Then you protect Ramus, Bogo, and McCabe. Seems simple enough. The only way that changes is if we trade for a Vatanen/Fowler and in that instance you have an entire year to evaluate McCabe and Bogosian and decide if you will protect one of them.  If we come out of the expansion draft having lost Bogosian who will be turning 27 before the start of that season, meh s#!t happens.  I personally think we lose a forward because we will have to expose at least 1 decent young forward. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.