2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Murray rocking the beard.  Might have to redo my Magic Card of Destiny for him.  Senor Zero ###### Given has elevated to a higher plane of being.

He is still a dweeb but like the beard he is growing on me. Hoping he uses his picks to get what the Sabres needs. Still looks like the kid you punched in the face in grade school.

He is still a dweeb but like the beard he is growing on me. Hoping he uses his picks to get what the Sabres needs. Still looks like the kid you punched in the face in grade school.

How dare you insult the man, the myth the Syth lord.  Darth Murray shall slight you by trading 8 of 11 picks!  Just kidding, he is a dweeb, and his quote of being a tool, to not use Eichel as a tool was classic!

Edited by TheCerebral1

That's optimistic, I will hope on Vesey for sure. I would love Shattenkirk, but for the price Fowler is going to cost, I just don't like his game that much. He is more of a second pair guy, and not the partner for Rasmus.

While I agree that Fowler is more of a top-4 than pure top pair...Risto's partner is currently a 3rd pair. Fowler is a monumental upgrade even if he's not perfect.

How dare you insult the man, the myth the Syth lord.  Darth Murray shall slight you by trading 8 of 11 picks!  Just kidding, he is a dweeb, and his quote of being a tool, to not use Eichel as a tool was classic!

Yup Dork statement all the way but gotta love it, he is who he is.

While I agree that Fowler is more of a top-4 than pure top pair...Risto's partner is currently a 3rd pair. Fowler is a monumental upgrade even if he's not perfect.

I agree, but the asking price seems unrealistic. Bleh.  I'd rather find someone else. He's a legit top four left handed defensemen.

Every name I come up with I'd clearly prefer to Fowler is in the pipe dream category. Just don't think there's many realistic alternatives out there.

I just cannot fathom giving up a top 10 pick for a guy who funneled out of the top 10.  Now that's not a clear indicator, when I watch him, I see holes in his game.  I just don't think it makes any sense.  If its more of a pieces deal with Girgensons, absolutely I will.  Furthermore, I'd rather sign Soupy and draft Sergachev, Chychrun or Juolevi than give up the pick.

Edited by TheCerebral1

I'll prefer to be a glass half full guy, why live in the tortured past?

We'll Trade up to #4 for Tkachuk

Vesey will sign 7/1

Stamkos will sign 7/1

We'll trade for Fowler and/or Shattenkirk

So are you going to lose you when none of that happens?

Because I won't. I just sit back and nod comfortably.

Edited by inkman

I just cannot fathom giving up a top 10 pick for a guy who funneled out of the top 10. Now that's not a clear indicator, when I watch him, I see holes in his game. I just don't think it makes any sense. If its more of a pieces deal with Girgensons, absolutely I will. Furthermore, I'd rather sign Soupy and draft Sergachev, Chychrun or Juolevi than give up the pick.

Me too, but I think he ends up on a proven contender. It just makes more sense from his perspective unless the money is way off.

Also, nice of you to list Chychrun 2nd, I knew you'd come around! :p

I'm so impressed with the D in this class.  Bean, Fabbro and McAvoy are all ultra talented.  Sneaking back up into the mid part of the first round, which is unlikely for one of them and drafting Nylander would be a home run.  I could go as far to say getting Fabbro and Nylander would be a home run.  But more so on McAvoy...even as a RHD, he does so much that would be a home run in the future. 

Me too, but I think he ends up on a proven contender. It just makes more sense from his perspective unless the money is way off.

Also, nice of you to list Chychrun 2nd, I knew you'd come around! :P

He's still my guy True, but I'm warming up to most of the D in this class.  I like McAvoy, Bean, Chychrun, Juolevi, Fabbro, Sergachev, Dineen, Niemaleinen, Fox, Mete.  There are a ton of guys to like for various reasons.  

So are you going to lose you ###### when none of that happens?
Because I won't. I just sit back and nod comfortably.

I doubt #4 is happening, I just ignored that part.  The best would be signing Vesey, getting Sergachev/Juolevi and making a move for someone like Fowler/Despres in the right deal.  Not including another offensive piece in free agency if it fit: See Okposo.

_______-Ristolainen

Despres-Bogosian

McCabe-Pysyk/Nelson

Extra: Gorges

Edited by TheCerebral1

So after a lot of thought, here's my wish list at 8, taking into account who has some non-trivial possibility of being there. Though none of the group would make me angry, I have a clear preference for the top three.

Nylander

Juolevi

Keller

Sergachev

Chychrun

Jost

Do not want Brown, Bean, McLeod, or McAvoy.

Only if you can get him at a reasonable price.  Anything involving #8 isn't a reasonable price for him.  I think we can draft Serg at #8 (although I love Keller) and he may be able to play this year

I just cannot fathom giving up a top 10 pick for a guy who funneled out of the top 10.  Now that's not a clear indicator, when I watch him, I see holes in his game.  I just don't think it makes any sense.  If its more of a pieces deal with Girgensons, absolutely I will.  Furthermore, I'd rather sign Soupy and draft Sergachev, Chychrun or Juolevi than give up the pick.

I like this scenario a lot.

Ya. I could see a deal for Fowler being something like, say: #8, Girgensons, and a 3rd, for Fowler and a 4th. Where it stings a little bit. Usually that's how trades seem to go down.

But trading someone like Reinhart for Fowler would be blasphemous.

Trading the 8th pick for Fowler would also be blasphemous. You can`t trade a top end D prospect, that has potential to be a high end top pair Dman for the next decade, for a good (not great) player with only 2 years left on his deal is CRAZY!!!  

I don`t mind adding Fowler but I`d be offering Girgensons, a lower draft pick and maybe a decent prospect. Yes you may have to be patient for the 8th pick to develop but his floor should be turning into Fowler, his ceiling is much much higher.

I'll prefer to be a glass half full guy, why live in the tortured past?

We'll Trade up to #4 for Tkachuk

Vesey will sign 7/1

Stamkos will sign 7/1

We'll trade for Fowler and/or Shattenkirk

why do you need Tkachuk if you have Vesey and Stamkos? IF they can pull off Vesey, alone, they should go D in First round.

Trading the 8th pick for Fowler would also be blasphemous. You can`t trade a top end D prospect, that has potential to be a high end top pair Dman for the next decade, for a good (not great) player with only 2 years left on his deal is CRAZY!!!  

I don`t mind adding Fowler but I`d be offering Girgensons, a lower draft pick and maybe a decent prospect. Yes you may have to be patient for the 8th pick to develop but his floor should be turning into Fowler, his ceiling is much much higher.

You're a lot higher on the D prospects than I am. These guys are not Ekblad, Hanifin, and Provorov. I'd be THRILLED if we took a defenseman and he winds up as good as Fowler is now, in four years. 

why do you need Tkachuk if you have Vesey and Stamkos? IF they can pull off Vesey, alone, they should go D in First round.

BPA. Position be damned.

BPA is likely to be a Dman. 

You're a lot higher on the D prospects than I am. These guys are not Ekblad, Hanifin, and Provorov. I'd be THRILLED if we took a defenseman and he winds up as good as Fowler is now, in four years. 

That`s good cause you will need him in 4 years since Fowler is a UFA in 2 and likely Sabres won`t have the $$ to re-sign him.

That`s good cause you will need him in 4 years since Fowler is a UFA in 2 and likely Sabres won`t have the $$ to re-sign him.

The only way we don't have the money to re-sign Fowler is if he's much, much better than you think he is. The whole "he's not very good but we can afford him" isn't particularly logical.

How much $$ do you think he'll get? If we can't afford a good, but not great, defenseman, then how can we ever sign these guys who have top pairing ceilings and Cam Fowler floors* when they develop, especially since by then Jack and Sam and Risto will be on their big contracts, where that won't necessarily be the case when Fowler is up?

*Their floors are busting, like every other prospect, by the way

Fowler is not exceptional in any sense of the word.   He's an adequate offensive D.  I consider him the offensive d version of Gudbranson.  Shrugs, he's not that special.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.