2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Have any of you ever watched a full game of Syears rgachev? Guy skates like Tyler Myers( not a compliment). Average offensive ability. Never really seen him give a full effort. Honestly, the last person I want to draft. If we stay at 8 my choice in order would be Nylander,Chychrun, Keller, then jolevi.

Yes I have 3.  He is a much better skater than Myers, more physical and his offensive skills compel you to take notice.  And he hits like a truck.  He wanders at times but has the skating ability to correct his errors.  His d is developing but there are no questions about his iq.  Chychrun seemed to take a split second longer to read the play.  While his skills are above average, he will not have that window at the next level.

This.

I have no idea how I'm ranking the guys around 8 anymore. So many interesting angles from all sides that I can't even venture to make a list. My main concern now is getting a young potential (or current) top 4 LHD in the system. Whether that's at #8 or someone like Fowler. It's all good to go BPA at 8 even if it's not a D, but then there has to be a trade. Can't go into next season with Gorges, McCabe and Colaiacovo as our LHD with Guhle as our best defensive prospect.

I disagree. I don't think it's blasphemous at all to trade a chance at a great D (and also a chance at only a pretty good one) for a young, established, good offensive defenceman that fits our needs. Don't agree that all 3 D, or the one we choose necessarily has a ceiling higher than Fowler. And the floor could be lower.

Agree with your posts on this matter.

As True pointed out, I believe we almost certainly would be able to sign him.

There are multiple combinations of things that could happen with this draft and trades around it that I think would be good outcomes. One of the few I would not be thrilled with is drafting a forward at 8, and failing to swing a trade for a Dman. Signing Chris Russell or Brian Campbell and hoping Guhle pans out to be a top pairing LHD, or waiting for another draft year to get that solid LHD prospect in the system, when D already take a fair bit of time to develop, would be a mistake, IMO.

whats your off-season Free agent game plan?  If you plan to pay Fowler in 2 years you can`t be signing anyone of significance this summer.

The way it looks to me I have 5 core (Vesey, Eichel, Risto, Reinhart and O`Reilly) players plus 1 bad contract (Moulson) in 2017/18 that will cost you at least $36 million.  If you add in Ennis and Bogo thats another $10 million.

add Stamkos or another $8m plus high end player for the top 6 -the available cap space is being eaten up quick.

Again, im not against adding Fowler but not for the 8th pick and you have to be prepared to see him walk in 2 years.

If you aren't against adding him, are you conceding it's possible to pay him?

The only way it's even an issue is if we sign Stamkos or a different forward who's going to command nearly as much money.

Because the aforementioned is unlikely, I wouldn't pass up on Fowler because of it.

I understand not wanting to trade the pick for him, perfectly valid. But arguing we wouldn't be able to pay him is flimsy. We HAVE to find a LHD to pay.

I thought I would be too originally, but interestingly enough I'm going to come out and say I predict he is our pick.

My guess:

1. TOR - Matthews

2. WIN - Laine

3. CBJ - Puljujarvi (Adam Devine)

4. EDM - Tkachuk

5. VAN - Dubois

6. CGY - Nylander

7. ARZ - Juolevi

8. BUF - SERGACHEV

9. MTL - Who Cares

Mine is similar - had Brown going to before the Sabres draft and Juolevi to Arizona. Now, after Goligoski, think Nylander to Arizona leaving Sabres with all 3 dmen on the board.

Im assuming they either sign Stamkos or add another large contract through trade. 

If you add up the numbers, the cap becomes a real problem quickly.

Core 5 players plus Moulson $36

Ennis and Bogo                     $10

If you attribute $10m to UFA`s over the next two summers - now you have $56mill and only 9 or 10 guys signed. 

McCabe is going to earn some money this summer, Pysyk (if he isn`t traded) next summer.

Fashing, Bailey, Baptiste all come up that summer (17/18). 

You would hope that in 2017/18 Guhle or the guy you draft at 8 is ready to step into Fowlers role. 

Again, Id be happy to trade for Fowler, I have Pysyk, Girgensons or some later picks plus maybe a prospect but I think you are wayyyy overpaying by giving up the 8th pick for Fowler.

We sti

Edited by Crusader1969

For what it's worth, Button is currently doing his live mock draft on TSN, and has the Sabres picking Sergachev at 8. Says he has future Norris potential.

I am officially on the Sergachev Bandwagon. Not because of this, but just because of how things are unfolding, and because of the pure talent the guy would bring. Sergachev - Ristolainen could be a dynamite pair for years to come.

For what it's worth, Button is currently doing his live mock draft on TSN, and has the Sabres picking Sergachev at 8. Says he has future Norris potential.

I am officially on the Sergachev Bandwagon. Not because of this, but just because of how things are unfolding, and because of the pure talent the guy would bring. Sergachev - Ristolainen could be a dynamite pair for years to come.

Craig Button, eh? I'm out! :p

Im assuming they either sign Stamkos or add another large contract through trade.

Ennis and Bogo $10

If you attribute $10m to UFA`s over the next two summers - now you have $56mill and only 9 or 10 guys signed.

McCabe is going to earn some money this summer, Pysyk (if he isn`t traded) next summer.

You would hope that in 2017/18 Guhle or the guy you draft at 8 is ready to step into Fowlers role.

Again, Id be happy to trade for Fowler, I have Pysyk, Girgensons or some later picks plus maybe a prospect but I think you are wayyyy overpaying by giving up the 8th pick for Fowler.

We sti

And if we trade for him, we would be able to pay him. If we can't afford to pay for a good LHD, we are in a world of hurt.

Craig Button, eh? I'm out! :p

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, right? :D

Edited by Thorny

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, right? :D

If Sergachev is the pick, let us hope Button is as right about him as he was wrong about Ristolainen.

If Mikhail Sergachev was named Michael Simmons instead, he would undoubtedly be the 1st defender taken.

I've personally waffled on all 3 defenders so at this stage, I'll just say, I trust Murray and Royce

Until we take McAvoy! :p

If Sergachev is the pick, let us hope Button is as right about him as he was wrong about Ristolainen.

Until we take McAvoy! :p

I just don't care very much about what Button thinks. Beyond Murray and his scouting staff, there are lots of scouts touting Sergachev's talents.

I know, I just haven't seen a cheap shot at Button I didn't like :D

It's true. He says such odd things sometimes.

Every once in a while he'll say something intriguing, like comparing Sam Reinhart to Larionov. That was interesting,

But there's a lot more of the other stuff.

It's true. He says such odd things sometimes.

Every once in a while he'll say something intriguing, like comparing Sam Reinhart to Larionov. That was interesting,

But there's a lot more of the other stuff.

What I like about Button is, because of exactly this, you can be pretty confident what he says really are his own opinions based on his scouting. He clearly does more than peruse consensus and slightly alter a couple of things. I respect it, even if I disagree frequently.

What I like about Button is, because of exactly this, you can be pretty confident what he says really are his own opinions based on his scouting. He clearly does more than peruse consensus and slightly alter a couple of things. I respect it, even if I disagree frequently.

Same. He also flip flops a lot. I think he's had all 3 D going to the Sabres in different recent mock drafts of his.

Ennis and Bogo                     $10

We sti

Your also shedding salary along the way though. Ennis likely, Gio, Georges and others. If they want Stamkos and Fowler I believe they can make it work.

Your also shedding salary along the way though. Ennis likely, Gio, Georges and others. If they want Stamkos and Fowler I believe they can make it work.

Bottom line is that he isn't worth the 8th pick. I'll be happy if they can get him but the deal would include Girgensons or Pysyk as the centre piece

Bottom line is that he isn't worth the 8th pick. I'll be happy if they can get him but the deal would include Girgensons or Pysyk as the centre piece

Well then there's no deal to be had there. Now where do you go?

Bob McKenzie is reporting that there is a small possibility that the Jets do not take Laine 2nd Overall

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie  19m

I'm reasonably confident TOR will take Auston Matthews at No. 1. I'm not nearly as confident WPG will automatically take Patrik Laine at 2.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie  20m

I am not saying WPG won't take Laine but I am saying, IMO, Jesse Puljujarvi may be a legit consideration at No. 2 for the Jets.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie  19m

Jets, as is their style, haven't tipped hand but several teams told me to not rule out notion of Puljujarvi going 2nd overall to WPG.

If you sign Stamkos you will have 7 guys for $48 mill. Bogo and Ennis are gone c Fowler will cost you $6milliom.

So $54 million for 8 guys - you are probably spending $5 mill on goalies.

McCabe should cost you $3.5.

I've got 6 forwards , 3 d and 2 goalies coming in at$62.5 million

Bailey and Fasching will also be up for contracts $3 mill each?

$68 million and 13 guys signed. You better hope the cap is up to $80. Which will allow you to spend $1mill for everyone else.

I've shredded bogo, Girgensons, foligno, Pysyk, ennis. Larrson. And let go of Kane.

Sabres line up

vesey Eichel reinhart

Stamkos o'reilly Fasching

ELC ELC Bailey

League min for 4th line

Fowler Risto

McCabe ELC

League min 3rd pair d

Please let me know if I have something wrong

Well then there's no deal to be had there. Now where do you go?

Sign Campbell for 2 years find another cap team needing to unload.

Don't sign Stamkos

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.