2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Looks like barring a lottery win, the earliest the Sabres can draft is 7th and if the early game scores continue to hold they'll be in 22nd by the end of the night (9th seed in lottery).

Correct! We will finish anywhere between 7th and 12th. We currently sit at 9th, ahead of Arizona and Montreal while behind Colorado and NJ and Ottawa.

Don't get me wrong, I think OEL is a major talent bordering on superstar. I'm saying my conversation starts with him in any talks for Matthews, who is a unique value to the 'Yotes. 

And I would prefer an LHD that can come in and start on the top pair immediately. Highly doubtful we get that guy in the draft. 

GO SABRES!!!

But I wouldn't expect their first rounder coming back if you get OEL or vice versa.

Guys to keep an eye on if Sabres drop out of top 10 would be:

Jake Bean as a LHD with huge puck moving skills.

Julien Gauthier who 6'4 225lbs - made the Cdn World Junior Team as a draft eligible. scored 41 goals in 54 games this season

Kieffer Bellows - Son of Brian bellows, 6'0 sniper from the USNDP

Guy I've seen a bunch of times and really like but he is a bit of a wild card because of a couple of suspensions - Max Jones from the London Knights. 6'3 power forward. Who put up decent point totals playing on the 2nd line and without a lot of PP time.

Still have hope that one of the Big 3 Dmen fall because teams are looking to add forwards and in particular Centers.

His father somehow went 19th.

5 slots after we took Brad May - Winnipeg actually used our pick <facepalm>

That was also the year we took Viktor Gordiuk instead of Petr Bondra <double facepalm>

and Brian McCarthy instead of Sergei Zubov <triple facepalm>

Daddy Tkachuk was drafted before May if my memory hasn't failed. We swapped picks to move back because Scotty had May rated equally to Tkachuk.

Daddy Tkachuk was drafted before May if my memory hasn't failed. We swapped picks to move back because Scotty had May rated equally to Tkachuk.

Nope. Sabres moved up because they wanted to make sure they got the local kid. Jets were fine w/ that.

Still stinks that they sent Duck's best friend (Arniel) back to Winnipeg in the deal.

Man arm chair NHL draft analysis has really turned into "I've heard of that guy so he must be good". I can't believe people waste one second of their life looking into players drafted outside the top ten. It's a roll of the dice if these kids ever play in the league, yet we are pontificating if they will be available in later rounds.

Man arm chair NHL draft analysis has really turned into "I've heard of that guy so he must be good". I can't believe people waste one second of their life looking into players drafted outside the top ten. It's a roll of the dice if these kids ever play in the league, yet we are pontificating if they will be available in later rounds.

Idk if it is that extreme. You got a 50/50 shot in the first round and considering how good scouting is becoming that may trend upwards.  Besides it is fun for some people.

50/50?? where do you get that from? Here are the real numbers.

o. 10

Average Rating: 4.43

Best: Nikolai Antropov, Radek Dvorak, Jocelyn Thibault

Worst: Boris Valabik, Mikhail Yakupov

Ranked 7 or better: 5.0%

Ranked 5 or worse: 65.0%

At least 100 NHL games (or extremely likely): 85.0%

No. 11

Average Rating: 4.95

Best: Jarome Iginla, Anze Kopitar, Jeff Carter

Worst: Kyle Beach, Lauri Tukonen, Jeff Heerema, David Cooper

Ranked 7 or better: 33.3%

Ranked 5 or worse: 47.6%

At least 100 NHL games (or extremely likely): 66.7%

No. 12

Average Rating: 5.17

Best: Marian Hossa, Dan Hamhuis, Ryan McDonagh

Worst: Teemu Riihijarvi, Hugh Jessiman, A.J. Thelen

Ranked 7 or better: 42.9%

Ranked 5 or worse: 47.6%

At least 100 NHL games (or extremely likely): 71.4%

No. 13

Average Rating: 5.05

Best: Ales Hemsky, Alexander Semin

Worst: Michael Henrich, Marek Zagrapan, Michael Stewart, Colten Teubert

Ranked 7 or better: 38.1%

Ranked 5 or worse: 42.9%

At least 100 NHL games (or extremely likely): 66.7%

No. 14

Average Rating: 5.29

Best: Brent Seabrook, Sergei Gonchar, Kevin Shattenkirk

Worst: Sasha Pokulok, Michel Riesen, Patrick DesRochers

Ranked 7 or better: 38.1%

Ranked 5 or worse: 33.3%

At least 100 NHL games (or extremely likely): 85.7%

ISS Rankings

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2016/04/prweb13317744.htm

Bean is rising fast as Crusader mentioned

I'm really hoping for a top 10 pick.  Have not read any hype for anyone ranked past 10. 

Buffalo currently sits in draft slot 9 prior to the lottery with 79 points and 2 games to go. 

Teams that we can still pass:

Ottawa 81 points 2 games to play

NJ 82 points 2 games to play

Colorado 82 points 2 games to play

If we win out and those three lose out we could still end 12th pre-lottery.  I know I didn't want to cheer for losses but even one more loss (even in OT) and the worst draft spot we can be is 10th pre-lottery.  I think the drop off is right at about 10 this season and the difference between picking 12th vs 10th is far greater than picking 10th vs 6th or 7th.

Every player drafted from 10 to 21 in 2012 is currently on an NHL roster - some making major contributions 

no matter where the Sabres draft - this player should be an important piece in 2 to 3 years.

That's about right, they've done junior, they've done a year or two in the AHL, and they're getting their shot. If you can say the same thing in 2018, that'll be something. Mike Wilson (the first name I looked up) played 58 and 77 games for the Sabres in the 3rd and 4th years after he was drafted, so he'd have fallen into the criteria. That being said, he apparently played 336 NHL games so he's one of the "made it" guys.

That's about right, they've done junior, they've done a year or two in the AHL, and they're getting their shot. If you can say the same thing in 2018, that'll be something. Mike Wilson (the first name I looked up) played 58 and 77 games for the Sabres in the 3rd and 4th years after he was drafted, so he'd have fallen into the criteria. That being said, he apparently played 336 NHL games so he's one of the "made it" guys.

I guess that's where the scouts "make their money".  

Actually, 5 of the guys drafted from 10-20 in 2012 already have 200 games in the NHL. The best of the lot - Filip Forsberg is at 150 and is sure to be a long time top tier NHL player.

I think the jury is out on only 2 of those 11 players. The rest are long term NHL players. 

Mike Wilson? the Sabres player from the 90s? not sure what he has to do with the 2012 draft.

Craig Button interview regarding Jake Bean:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/button-jake-bean-likely-top-10-pick-1.463570

I guess that's where the scouts "make their money".  

Actually, 5 of the guys drafted from 10-20 in 2012 already have 200 games in the NHL. The best of the lot - Filip Forsberg is at 150 and is sure to be a long time top tier NHL player.

I think the jury is out on only 2 of those 11 players. The rest are long term NHL players. 

Mike Wilson? the Sabres player from the 90s? not sure what he has to do with the 2012 draft.

Craig Button interview regarding Jake Bean:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/button-jake-bean-likely-top-10-pick-1.463570

I brought up Mike Wilson as an example that, if we were talking about this in 1997, he'd be on your list of players that were drafted 11-20 4 years prior and playing in the NHL. My point was that some of those guys are at the "make or break" stage where this may be one of few seasons they play in the NHL before they wash out.

I brought up Mike Wilson as an example that, if we were talking about this in 1997, he'd be on your list of players that were drafted 11-20 4 years prior and playing in the NHL. My point was that some of those guys are at the "make or break" stage where this may be one of few seasons they play in the NHL before they wash out.

Ill give you that point but I would also think that scouting in 2016 is way different and much more of an exact science than drafting back in 1993.

Plus I would say that the 2016 is considered to be a good draft at the top first 12 picks or so. I really don't remember how the 1993 draft was thought of.

Team Canada for upcoming Under 18 Tournament:

http://www.tsn.ca/chychrun-among-draft-prospects-at-u18-camp-1.466409

Team Russia is taking its under 17 team due to doping of the Under 18 team. However, the CHL Russians are going including Sergi.

The picture of Chychrun on tsn looks like he's a grizzled verteran of 10 years and not on the under 18 team.

Edited by Tondas

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.