2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

And you can vouch for his character how?

Canadian kids grow up dreaming of playing junior hockey, stanley cups, etc... What did Matthews grow up dreaming about in the desert? Does he have the same passion for the game as those kids? Why skip finishing HS and move to Europe for a paycheck instead of studying and going to college here at home?

Maybe he has legitmate answers to those questions. However, those are not questions that needed to be asked of Eichel or McDavid, which is why I rate them much better prospects than Matthews. He reminds of a Joe Murphy or Jimmy Carson, big physical specimen at a young age who could score, had some good years but didn't reach the lofty expectations of a high draft pick.

Maybe he thought playing pro hockey in Europe would make him a better player. You don't like him because he's an American kid from Arizona.

Also you falsely claiming he quit HS in every post still makes it a false statement.

Did McDavid finish hs though? Says a lot about his character if he didn't. He just wanted that nhl paycheck

Edited by LGR4GM

Honestly, if I was as good at any sport, especially hockey and knew it, if I had confidence I would probably do the same thing. He could risk a lot by going to Europe and facing competition that drops his stock. I went to medical school and though I have a "good job" it certainly isn't amazing, and if I could go and play hockey, I would drop my shot at med school 100% of the time to pursue a career in a sport that I love. How many football players have an "education" half those gangsters missed class and got pushed thru on a general studies degree from fraudulent institutions, does that make them better because of the diploma?

I have no gears to grind with Matthew's decision, and I hope we have a shot at him.

Edited by Wyldnwoody44

Maybe he thought playing pro hockey in Europe would make him a better player. You don't like him because he's an American kid from Arizona.

Also you falsely claiming he quit HS in every post still makes it a false statement.

Did McDavid finish hs though? Says a lot about his character if he didn't. He just wanted that nhl paycheck

Where did I say I don't like him?   I said several times I think he's a good kid, I have nothing against him.     You're hyperbolizing my arguements to make it sound like I have a vendetta against him.   

..and I specifically quoted an article that said he choose not to complete the academic requirements to attend college last fall.    That's not a false accusation, it's the truth. 

McDavid graduated High School in Erie where he played junior hockey, just like any normal kid.   Obviously you need proof, so here... http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/03/22/juggling-hockey-and-school-connor-mcdavid-plays-it-cool.html

"..said McDavid. “Education is something that’s important to myself and my family. The main goal right now is school work after hockey, and graduating with good marks. It’s going to be a stressful time, but at the same time it will be very exciting.”"

...that speaks volumes about McDavid's character.    He doesn't think he should be given the easy path in life just because he's good at hockey.    He value his education, as should all high school age kids.  

Edited by pi2000

Interesting matchup in Finnish play-offs as Karpat battles Tappara.

Puljujarvi assists on Karpats lone goal. Laine held of scoresheet but team wins game one 3-1.

Laine was held off the score sheet because he's a degenerate who failed to finish his schooling. I can only assume.

.....And not the cool kind of degenerate, like the heartbreak kid, Shawn Michaels.

Corey Pronman on Twitter: "Sergachev-2016 is a ridiculously good skater for a 6-foot-3 player. Glides over the ice."

Laine was held off the score sheet because he's a degenerate who failed to finish his schooling. I can only assume.

.....And not the cool kind of degenerate, like the heartbreak kid, Shawn Michaels.

I thought it was x-pac who was the uncool one in degeneration-x

Corey Pronman on Twitter: "Sergachev-2016 is a ridiculously good skater for a 6-foot-3 player. Glides over the ice."

I thought it was x-pac who was the uncool one in degeneration-x

If we take a dman, Sergachev would be my first choice. Kid is going to be a stud.

Is anyone anywhere questioning Matthews' character? I mean other than our resident cynic?

GO SABRES!!!

Character, eh don't really know the kid... seems like a hockey rat, whatever... I do question his vision the few times I have seen him play.  Still think he is not quite where Eichel and McDavid were at last year... Needs to mature a little in his game.  Not any big things, but little things like including his teammates and physicality in the corners, shot selection at times.  Can't exactly pinpoint it because the kid has talent, but is he really above the two Finns?

Edit: Just pokin the BEAR!

Edited by North Buffalo

Here's the write up from Elite Prospects, a n d he's Finnish so bonus he will play internationally with Risto as well.

A competitive spark-plug, Olli Juolevi is a complete, all-around defenceman that can hem the opposition in their own end or make things difficult for the opposition at home; either way, he puts the pressure on and lays it on thick. A strong and balanced skater, he can rush the puck through the neutral zone with ease or backcheck with haste. Uses his size to his advantage, but knows his physical limits and plays within them. Instead of playing overly physical, he makes his presence felt by exhibiting his high-end playmaking ability and puck possession play. All-in-all, a well-rounded blueliner who thrives under pressure and can be trusted in all situations. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)

Very sturdily built D-man that leans into his hits, competes hard, and possesses elite-level vision and hockey sense. Looks stronger game-by-game and adapts very quickly to his surroundings and situations. Scouts liken Olli Juolevi to Olli Maatta of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Both are fluid skaters and have deep-rooted understandings of their position. Both have tremendous skill and talent, and both will go far in their careers. [EP] - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=196391#sthash.URHDkx7c.dpuf

But is he GMTMs 1st choice? I'm intrigued by a Joulevi Risto pairing myself.

That's the key, who does Murray want? I'm hoping that at least 2 are there when it's the Sabres pick. If they draft 9th, they may just have to settle with whomever is left.

I still like Sergi cause of the physical aspect of his game. Match him with Risto and you have a top pair as intimidating as any in the league. Plus both can skate well (elite when you consider their size) and both bring offence too.

Though the Sabres may value Juolevi's smarts and ability to get the puck up to the forwards more than anything else

I think its pretty safe to say that the Sabres top pick in 2016 back to juniors, unless a miracle happens in the lottery.

Gorges will hold down their spot for another season. You are probably looking at the 18/19 season before they make a real impact with the team.

Could you imagine if we hit 80 points and a miracle happened?!  :wub:

I think its pretty safe to say that the Sabres top pick in 2016 back to juniors, unless a miracle happens in the lottery.

Gorges will hold down their spot for another season. You are probably looking at the 18/19 season before they make a real impact with the team.

Trade the pick for immediate D help.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.