2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Not a draft expert, but what do you guys think of the Finnish d-man, Olli Juolevi?

A competitive spark-plug, Olli Juolevi is a complete, all-around defenceman that can hem the opposition in their own end or make things difficult for the opposition at home; either way, he puts the pressure on and lays it on thick. A strong and balanced skater, he can rush the puck through the neutral zone with ease or backcheck with haste. Uses his size to his advantage, but knows his physical limits and plays within them. Instead of playing overly physical, he makes his presence felt by exhibiting his high-end playmaking ability and puck possession play. All-in-all, a well-rounded blueliner who thrives under pressure and can be trusted in all situations. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016) - See more at:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=196391#sthash.DO5uzvUQ.dpuf

Not a draft expert, but what do you guys think of the Finnish d-man, Olli Juolevi?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=196391#sthash.DO5uzvUQ.dpuf

Enamoured with him. He's now my most desired player in the draft. Fits our biggest need.

Agreed. Consensus seems to be he will be the second Dman picked and will go around the 7-9 range

Agreed. Consensus seems to be he will be the second Dman picked and will go around the 7-9 range

`

I don't think there is a consensus on the 3 dmen. It is possible that both Sergi and Juolevi are both drafted before Chychrun.

I'd still like all 3 to be on the board when Murray picks so he has his choice but I doubt that will happen. case in point - Bob McKenzie tweeted recently that Juolevi may be consensus 4th overall pick.

I believe Pi is the only one that questions Matthews' intangibles. He has this weird thing against Matthews going to Europe. Dudacek and Neo seem to prefer Samson to Matthews, which isn't necessarily demeaning Matthews, and I don't really believe intangibles exist, which is why I make fun of Toews on here a lot. I just am not as high on his abilities as some people out there are. A decent chunk of hfboards posters and journalists out there would have Matthews at 2 over Eichel if he was drafted last year, and I don't see it. I'm a homer about a lot of things, but I truly believe Matthews is a level below Jack, at least. I think he'll be a good first line player, but if we end up with pick 1 I'm interested in shopping it.

Let me put it this way...   who would you rather have in a game 7?    

A kid from the north east who grew up in a hockey hotbed, played for his local school and went to a national championship game.

Or a kid from the desert who didn't finish high school and bolted to Europe for a paycheck.

Let me put it this way...   who would you rather have in a game 7?   

Whichever one is better.

A kid from the north east who grew up in a hockey hotbed, played for his local school and went to a national championship game.

Or a kid from the desert who didn't finish high school and bolted to Europe for a paycheck.

Yea Matthews really seems like he cares nothing for schooling or family like you have tossed out time and time again. Your post is garbage honestly, complete garbage.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13979392/nhl-family-support-key-top-prospect-auston-matthews

"When the sometimes-torturous negotiations that ultimately allowed super-prospect Auston Matthews to join the Zurich Lions of the Swiss Elite League were completed, it was decided that Ema and Auston's big sister Alexandria, who is studying at Arizona State University but took a semester off ostensibly to help her younger brother keep up his studies, would join Auston in Switzerland."

The burden of proof now falls to you. Prove that Auston Matthews left home for Switzerland and is hs drop out.

https://www.nhl.com/news/matthews-navigating-swiss-life-with-assist-from-mom/c-788863

"Ema and Alex, who is in Switzerland as a visitor, attend every home game at Hallenstadion. They have also experienced a few road games since no game is longer than a 40-minute drive. When Auston isn't playing hockey, he's on his computer taking classes online at the University of Nebraska, spending a few hours each day in the evening.

"Alex helps tutor Auston with some of his classes he takes online," Ema Matthews said. "She didn't take the entire semester off, so she has some college classes she's taking online as well. When she's not tied up with Auston, she'll help me around the house.""

Edited by LGR4GM

Let me put it this way... who would you rather have in a game 7?

The better hockey player between the two. Using any other measure is wrong.

Last time the draft was in Buffalo, you just showed up. Are they different now?

You need tickets, according to the FN'C even website. Prices not listed yet

Well, I don't agree with pi on this, but there are definitely other measures than skill. Probably not what you meant though

he's on his computer taking classes online

nuff' said

Kinda like Ovechkin is a better player than Toews?   I'd take Toews in a game 7 over just about anybody.

You need tickets, according to the FN'C even website. Prices not listed yet

Well, I don't agree with pi on this, but there are definitely other measures than skill. Probably not what you meant though

I mean more than skill, yeah. Alex Semin is more skilled than Ryan Callahan, but I'd take Callahan on my team in a game seven over Semin easily. I just mean, if there are two players, and one is better overall than the other, no I'm not comparing what they did in their pre-draft year. I'm taking the player that is better at hockey because that will increase my chance of winning game seven.

nuff' said

Kinda like Ovechkin is a better player than Toews?   I'd take Toews in a game 7 over just about anybody.

Nuff said? He could easily be just chilling and playing hockey and making money, but he's going out of his way to take classes online for hours every night? That proves your point how?

Well that can be debated. Toews clearly has a better all-around game, even if Ovi is the best scorer we've seen in a long time. I don't know offhand who's the better player overall, but I'd take whichever I conclude to be, yeah. Toews isn't as good as Kopitar or Bergeron, so I'd take either of them over him. Kane's better too, I'd take Kane over Toews. I'd take Toews over Backes. Whoever is better at hockey.

I mean more than skill, yeah. Alex Semin is more skilled than Ryan Callahan, but I'd take Callahan on my team in a game seven over Semin easily. I just mean, if there are two players, and one is better overall than the other, no I'm not comparing what they did in their pre-draft year. I'm taking the player that is better at hockey because that will increase my chance of winning game seven.

Nuff said? He could easily be just chilling and playing hockey and making money, but he's going out of his way to take classes online for hours every night? That proves your point how?

Well that can be debated. Toews clearly has a better all-around game, even if Ovi is the best scorer we've seen in a long time. I don't know offhand who's the better player overall, but I'd take whichever I conclude to be, yeah. Toews isn't as good as Kopitar or Bergeron, so I'd take either of them over him. Kane's better too, I'd take Kane over Toews. I'd take Toews over Backes. Whoever is better at hockey.

In a playoff game 7 I take the guy with heart + skill over just better overall skill.    Matthews disappeared in the medal rounds at the WJC this past year.    Is that a sign of thing to come?   Maybe.    It's certainly not a good sign.    Is he passionate about hockey?  Maybe he thinks he is (for a kid from the desert southwest), but is he willing to do whatever it takes to elevate his game to the next level come playoff time?     We don't those answers yet, but his background raises those questions.... there's no denying that.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25262727/auston-matthews-top-nhl-draft-prospect-signs-pro-deal-in-switzerland  

"First off, Matthews would have had to accelerate his schooling to attend a U.S. college hockey program. "

Many young players are on an accelerated academic program so they can attend college.   Matthews took the easy road.... which to me shows a lack of character.    It shows me that he prefers the path of least resistance, which is not what I want out of a guy I'm drafting #1 overall.      It also serves as a warning sign that he's likely to pack it in once he earns his big contract.

Edited by pi2000

In a playoff game 7 I take the guy with heart + skill over just better overall skill.    Matthews disappeared in the medal rounds at the WJC this past year.    Is that a sign of thing to come?   Maybe.    It's certainly not a good sign.    Is he passionate about hockey?  Maybe he thinks he is (for a kid from the desert southwest), but is he willing to do whatever it takes to elevate his game to the next level come playoff time?     We don't those answers yet, but his background raises those questions.... there's no denying that.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25262727/auston-matthews-top-nhl-draft-prospect-signs-pro-deal-in-switzerland  

"First off, Matthews would have had to accelerate his schooling to attend a U.S. college hockey program. "

Many young players are on an accelerated academic program so they can attend college.   Matthews took the easy road.... which to me shows a lack of character.    It shows me that he prefers the path of least resistance, which is not what I want out of a guy I'm drafting #1 overall.      It also serves as a warning sign that he's likely to pack it in once he earns his big contract.

Most young players go the Canadian Junior route but you are going to bag on Matthews saying moving to a new country to further his hockey skills was lazy?  Did you even look at the links I put up? You're ridiculous.I literally posted an article that says the following ""She (his sister) didn't take the entire semester off, so she has some college classes she's taking online as well." As well would indicate to me that his sister is taking college courses as well as her brother, Austin Matthews. Or Austin Matthews is taking classes from the University of North Dakota online without finishing HS... cuz reasons? Either ND has a program for kids to finish HS, which means he values that education or he already finished HS and is taking some college courses.  Your grudge is ridiculous.

Edited by LGR4GM

Most young players go the Canadian Junior route but you are going to bag on Matthews saying moving to a new country to further his hockey skills was lazy?  Did you even look at the links I put up? You're ridiculous.I literally posted an article that says the following ""She (his sister) didn't take the entire semester off, so she has some college classes she's taking online as well." As well would indicate to me that his sister is taking college courses as well as her brother, Austin Matthews. Or Austin Matthews is taking classes from the University of North Dakota online without finishing HS... cuz reasons? Either ND has a program for kids to finish HS, which means he values that education or he already finished HS and is taking some college courses.  Your grudge is ridiculous.

His sister has nothing to do with this, and frankly I don't care what he's doing in Europe to further his education.   He could be taking graduate classes at Oxford for all I care, but that still doesn't erase the fact he choose the easier path.   If he values education as much as you say, then why didn't he accelerate his HS studies so he could go to college state-side?  Going to Europe to earn a paycheck and taking online courses isn't the same as attending a university on campus, especially at an upstanding university where there's more to the college experience than just going to class and playing sports.    

His decision to jump straight to pro-hockey in Europe tells me what his values are.... money?  opportunity?   Maybe he doesn't value those things as highly as I think he does, but fair or not, his decisions to this point have raised those questions.    I'm not saying he's a bad kid, just that IMO he's not the total package, not a guy you want to build your franchise around.    I just don't see super stardom in his future.     Add his character questions to the fact the he's already likely very near his peak physical maturity (he already has his "man" body), and I don't see much upside to what he's currently showing us.    

His sister has nothing to do with this, and frankly I don't care what he's doing in Europe to further his education. He could be taking graduate classes at Oxford for all I care, but that still doesn't erase the fact he choose the easier path. If he values education as much as you say, then why didn't he accelerate his HS studies so he could go to college state-side? Going to Europe to earn a paycheck and taking online courses isn't the same as attending a university on campus, especially at an upstanding university where there's more to the college experience than just going to class and playing sports.

His decision to jump straight to pro-hockey in Europe tells me what his values are.... money? opportunity? Maybe he doesn't value those things as highly as I think he does, but fair or not, his decisions to this point have raised those questions. I'm not saying he's a bad kid, just that IMO he's not the total package, not a guy you want to build your franchise around. I just don't see super stardom in his future. Add his character questions to the fact the he's already likely very near his peak physical maturity (he already has his "man" body), and I don't see much upside to what he's currently showing us.

You fail at reading comprehension hence why you don't understand the sister quote.

Pick physical maturity and peak mental maturity aren't the same. Watch him play sometimes, he's elite. Your scouting of him isn't even in the ballpark. It's like saying jack is a 50pts forward at best because he's physically mature.

How many Canadian junior kids go to college? None, so I guess they all take the easy path according to your blind hated. That's what you have, blind hatred. Did he spurn your college or something? Your argument has been proven un true and now you are desperately have changed tacks to say relocating to Europe to play 1 year of pro hockey was easy.

This is my last response to you. Either you're a troll or you have a vendetta or both but your posts on this are straight up bs.

Edited by LGR4GM

You fail at reading comprehension hence why you don't understand the sister quote.

How many Canadian junior kids go to college? None, so I guess they all take the easy path according to your blind hated. That's what you have, blind hatred. Did he spurn your college or something? Your argument has been proven un true and now you are desperately have changed tacks to say relocating to Europe to play 1 year of pro hockey was easy.

This is my last response to you. Either you're a troll or you have a vendetta or both but your posts on this are straight up bs.

And you can vouch for his character how?   

Canadian kids grow up dreaming of playing junior hockey, stanley cups, etc...   What did Matthews grow up dreaming about in the desert?   Does he have the same passion for the game as those kids?   Why skip finishing HS and move to Europe for a paycheck instead of studying and going to college here at home?     

Maybe he has legitmate answers to those questions.  However, those are not questions that needed to be asked of Eichel or McDavid, which is why I rate them much better prospects than Matthews.       He reminds of a Joe Murphy or Jimmy Carson, big physical specimen at a young age who could score,   had some good years but didn't reach the lofty expectations of a high draft pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.