2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Laine and Pulju are kicking butt today.

Laine ended up with 2 goals yesterday.

Here is what he did this morning

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/sm-liiga/art-2000001155416.html

and literally just had an OMG moment right now - 1 minute left he ties the game with an unbelievable shot.

Edited by Crusader1969

Point of order, by the 1990 draft Scotty Bowman had been out of the organEYEzation for 3 years.  That draft was a Gerry Meehan affair.

Winnipeg swapped picks with us as part of the Hawerchuck trade.  We selected May first, Tkachuk went later. 

OK, three guys tell me my memory sucks now.

I want one of the Finns or Tkachuk. Hoping we land in the top 5 as it would only be fitting.

Can only get 1-3 or 7-9. Here is the info.

Beginning in 2016, the Draft Lottery will be utilized to assign the top three drafting slots in the NHL Draft, an expansion over previous years when the Draft Lottery was used to determine the winner of the first overall selection only.

Three draws will be held: the 1st Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery draw will determine the club selecting third overall.

As a result of this change, the team earning the fewest points during the regular season will no longer be guaranteed, at worst, the second overall pick. That club could fall as low as fourth overall.

Can only get 1-3 or 7-9. Here is the info.Beginning in 2016, the Draft Lottery will be utilized to assign the top three drafting slots in the NHL Draft, an expansion over previous years when the Draft Lottery was used to determine the winner of the first overall selection only.

Three draws will be held: the 1st Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery draw will determine the Club selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery draw will determine the club selecting third overall.

As a result of this change, the team earning the fewest points during the regular season will no longer be guaranteed, at worst, the second overall pick. That club could fall as low as fourth overall.

Actually, if teams w/ worse lottery odds than the Sabres win it, the Sabres could also still draft in 10-12 even though it's extremely unlikely.

Hopefully the Sabres won't draft 9th then

Taking McLeod or Dubois would be great too. There are at least 10 guys that's be great for the Sabres to add and, if the Sabres beat the odds and drop all the way to 11th, there's Keller, Bean, and McAvoy.

This link has an awesome spreadsheet every team's chances at the lottery, including ours for picks 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 10, and 11: http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/pick_odds

Sabres

1st: 6.0%

2nd: 6.4%

3rd: 6.8%

8th: 39.2%

9th: 34.8%

10th: 6.6%

11th: 0.3%

So, 74% chance we're drafting 8th or 9th.  Also, as much as we need a defenseman, I think BPA is the move here.

Edited by Robviously

I really REALLY wanted the Sabres to draft in the top 5 this year.  I beleive, long term, it would be best if they had 3 super-young superstar potential forwards.  However....

There was really going to be no way this team was going to finish last....and I'm holding onto what Tim Murray said in an interview on the radio a few weeks ago....he said that There is a clear #1, then a drop to #2 and #3...then after that he thinks the next big drop is after 11 or 12.  If that is true, then as long as they are before that next drop, they should get a good player.

Yea, judging by what Murray said and what seems to be the consensus around draft circles, as long as we're top-10 I ultimately don't care much if it's 8, 9, or 10. Of course I want to be as high as possible so Murray gets to take his pick rather than whatever is left in that tier, but whatever. 

Now, if the .3% hits and we drop to 11, I will allow "because Buffalo" complaints :lol:

We drafted Risto 8th, so I'm okay with this. Plus, I'm with dudacek, I still think this place explodes on April 30th

Maybe...or maybe 716 explodes. Or some other local establishment. I've been thinking of trying to set up either a Sabrespace draft lottery get together or draft get together. I figure the lottery might be more practical since I'm assuming more than a few are going to go to the draft, plus there should be playoff hockey on afterwards. But I'm open to suggestions.

Without a change to the order... this is what I could see happening.

Matthews - Tor

Laine - Edm

Puljujarvi - Van

Tkachuk - Cbus

Chyrchrun - Cgy

Nylander - Wnp

Dubois - Phx

Sergachev/Juolevi - Buf

McDavid-Laine would be stupid good. And would allow them to trade Hall, who would easily get the best return out of the players they wind up trading.

McDavid-Laine would be stupid good. And would allow them to trade Hall, who would easily get the best return out of the players they wind up trading.

PK Subban is heading west

Maybe...or maybe 716 explodes. Or some other local establishment. I've been thinking of trying to set up either a Sabrespace draft lottery get together or draft get together. I figure the lottery might be more practical since I'm assuming more than a few are going to go to the draft, plus there should be playoff hockey on afterwards. But I'm open to suggestions.

I wanted to get a game where we all go this year, like how they do over at TBD.' I think I'm going to the draft, not sure what I'm doing for the lottery

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.