Professional Womens Hockey (Coming to Buffalo)

That Aud Smell

I'm not sure where they'll get the money to pay the players.

I'm guessing the Salaries are going to very VERY reasonable.  Maybe a couple hundred dollars a game to close to $1000 for the best players?  Figure more of a salary structure like the Indoor Lacrosse league (Bandits) started out with.....less like the WNBA.  It won't be a full time career for the girls, but just something where they can see where it goes in the future.  $15,000 per player, split up amont how many games?  20?  It'll be interesting.

4 teams is a bit low.....but you dont want too many or have them spread apart too much.  Maybe, Maybe if it works out....a second 4 team division.....Detroit....Minneapolis....Chicago...St. Louis??

Edited by mjd1001

I'm guessing the Salaries are going to very VERY reasonable.  Maybe a couple hundred dollars a game to close to $1000 for the best players?  Figure more of a salary structure like the Indoor Lacrosse league (Bandits) started out with.....less like the WNBA.  It won't be a full time career for the girls, but just something where they can see where it goes in the future.  $15,000 per player, split up amont how many games?  20?  It'll be interesting.

4 teams is a bit low.....but you dont want too many or have them spread apart too much.  Maybe, Maybe if it works out....a second 4 team division.....Detroit....Minneapolis....Chicago...St. Louis??

The article mentions a salary cap of $270000 per team, so that averages $15k per player. The best players could probably make a go of it as a full-time gig ($35k?), but that means others are going to be working for beer money.

Is checking not a skill? I'm asking.

It is, but I don't think excluding it hurts the game that much. The women still battle hard. I don't know if I'm biased or something, but I've never found women's hockey unentertaining in its current format. In fact I prefer it, because it allows more skilled but small players to be successful when they don't have to worry about the girl who is my size trying to kill them. 

Unfortunately, 99% of casual fans won't know that and will think it a misogynistic term, on par with the "Peaches" and "Belles" in the All American Girls Professional Baseball League.

To be honest, I did a double take when I saw the name, and I wouldn't exactly consider myself a casual hockey fan. Aud's explanation makes sense though, I just look at it that way naturally.

The one thing I wonder about is the draft of Juniors. It works in the CHL/NHL since there's enough money to make it worthwhile for the players, but I'd be hard-pressed to move to another city for what (in their own words) is a part-time job. What if you have a job offer in Boston for your field but Buffalo drafts you? Does the team get compensated somehow if you won't play?

That is a bit surprising. When the MILL was starting out they'd primarily have players play for their "local" teams when possible. Of course the league owned all the teams, so it was easier to pull that off. But having players play local when possible and then draft players from MN, MI, Canada, and elsewhere is how I'd've expected they'd do it.

FWIW, I'm given to understand that "beaut" is a term that is used without regard to gender in the hockey world.

"You see that sick saucer pass that Gordo sent me? Guy's a real beaut, eh."

Fixed it for ya. ;)

That is a bit surprising. When the MILL was starting out they'd primarily have players play for their "local" teams when possible. Of course the league owned all the teams, so it was easier to pull that off. But having players play local when possible and then draft players from MN, MI, Canada, and elsewhere is how I'd've expected they'd do it.

Fixed it for ya. ;)

Image deleted.

Watching the game in its purest form doesn't appeal eh? No enjoyment gleaned from watching a pure skill format?

I don't enjoy watching players gliding around like an all star game exhibition when a simple check could eliminate many of the scoring chances.

It takes more skill to score when you're getting checked throughout the game then it is when you know you can't be hit.

When I coached U18 boys hockey we played a couple games against a team from Canada who insisted we play no check. It was boring and the our kids hated it.

This isn't the 1950s; women should want to be allowed to play by the same rules as the men.

Why? Because of a grrl thang?

A bit. As for how these players play for part time paychecks, it's similar to the Major Lacrosse League in the beginning. Those players did it for beer money. They get paid more now but it still isn't full time money. But the time to do it is when you're young. Postpone joining the 9-5 rat race a few years to play hockey. I'd have done it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Results of yesterday's draft are below.  Teams will fill their rosters with free agents.

1. Alex Carpenter, F, Boston College (RIVETERS)
  2. Hannah Brandt, F, Minnesota (WHALE)
  3. Kendall Coyne, F, Northeastern (PRIDE)
  4. Courtney Burke, D, Wisconsin (BEAUTS)
  5. Haley Skarupa, F, Boston College (RIVETERS)
  6. Michelle Picard, D, Harvard College (WHALE)
  7. Emerance Maschmeyer, G, Harvard College (PRIDE)
  8. Sarah Lefort, F, Boston University (BEAUTS)
  9. Erin Ambrose, D, Clarkson University (RIVETERS)
  10. Milica McMillen, D, Minnesota (WHALE)
  11. Lexi Bender, D, Boston College (PRIDE)
  12. Amanda Leveille, G, Minnesota (BEAUTS)
  13. Dana Trivigno, F, Boston College (RIVETERS)
  14. Maryanne Menefee, F, Minnesota (WHALE)
  15. Miye D'Oench, F, Harvard College (PRIDE)
  16. Emily Janiga, F, Mercyhurst (BEAUTS)
  17. Kimberly Newell, G, Princeton (RIVETERS)
  18. Cassandra Poudrier, D, Cornell (WHALE)
  19. Shannon MacAuley, F, Clarkson University (PRIDE)
  20. Jenna Dingeldein, F, Mercyhurst (BEAUTS)

Results of yesterday's draft are below. Teams will fill their rosters with free agents.

• Alex Carpenter, F, Boston College (RIVETERS)
  • Hannah Brandt, F, Minnesota (WHALE)
  • Kendall Coyne, F, Northeastern (PRIDE)
  • Courtney Burke, D, Wisconsin (BEAUTS)
  • Haley Skarupa, F, Boston College (RIVETERS)
  • Michelle Picard, D, Harvard College (WHALE)
  • Emerance Maschmeyer, G, Harvard College (PRIDE)
  • Sarah Lefort, F, Boston University (BEAUTS)
  • Erin Ambrose, D, Clarkson University (RIVETERS)
  • Milica McMillen, D, Minnesota (WHALE)
  • Lexi Bender, D, Boston College (PRIDE)
  • Amanda Leveille, G, Minnesota (BEAUTS)
  • Dana Trivigno, F, Boston College (RIVETERS)
  • Maryanne Menefee, F, Minnesota (WHALE)
  • Miye D'Oench, F, Harvard College (PRIDE)
  • Emily Janiga, F, Mercyhurst (BEAUTS)
  • Kimberly Newell, G, Princeton (RIVETERS)
  • Cassandra Poudrier, D, Cornell (WHALE)
  • Shannon MacAuley, F, Clarkson University (PRIDE)
  • Jenna Dingeldein, F, Mercyhurst (BEAUTS)

The draft order was determined by lottery with Beauts drafting fourth in every round. The order should have been changed with each successive round having another team draft first. For example the second round should have been BUF, BOS, CT then NY.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.