Professional Womens Hockey (Coming to Buffalo)

That Aud Smell

The draft order was determined by lottery with Beauts drafting fourth in every round. The order should have been changed with each successive round having another team draft first. For example the second round should have been BUF, BOS, CT then NY.

Sarah Lefort will be FINE.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo I decided to whip up a few designs- the NWHL was holding a design contest for their uniforms - http://nwhl.co/design-contest/

So here's the four I threw together. Room for improvement, but I just wanted to have some fun. The logos- well, I'd redo a few of them haha 

The contest ends Friday- If I've got time, I've got some other ideas I'd like to try out including away variations and more with the buffalo one- I'd love to add some deep red (throwback to the goat) or the royal blue. 

I figured even if they don't pick any of mine, maybe someone will be impressed enough to look at my site and.... wishful thinking. 

ZRs74r9.jpg

Black and yellow have always been my fav colors. Too bad Boston sucks. 

pEt5j7c.jpg

incorporated some of the sabre's swoop- tried to avoid penguin and jailbird. 

5zhEGmX.jpg

See the harpoon/anchor on the sleeve? Yeah, maybe it's a bit morbid but... 

WIaowTv.jpg

Ugh. It is tough to design star spangled and not go either union jack or rocket pop. 

Sooo I decided to whip up a few designs- the NWHL was holding a design contest for their uniforms - http://nwhl.co/design-contest/

So here's the four I threw together. Room for improvement, but I just wanted to have some fun. The logos- well, I'd redo a few of them haha 

The contest ends Friday- If I've got time, I've got some other ideas I'd like to try out including away variations and more with the buffalo one- I'd love to add some deep red (throwback to the goat) or the royal blue. 

I figured even if they don't pick any of mine, maybe someone will be impressed enough to look at my site and.... wishful thinking. 

5zhEGmX.jpg

See the harpoon/anchor on the sleeve? Yeah, maybe it's a bit morbid but... 

Seems a little busy in my opinion, the other 3 have a sleek design. 

Are the Beauts' colors, in fact, b&w?

The Pride design is the one I like best out of the 4. I like the obvi Bruins tie-in.

Yes, unfortunately. 

Ugh. It is tough to design star spangled and not go either union jack or rocket pop. 

Those look awesome, Jo. I love that gold on the Boston one.

I did some of these, too, just for kicks. They aren't in Josie's stratosphere, but I love uniforms.

Beauts:

OOELaAl.png

My least favorite of the three I've done. Tried to incorporate the edge of the sword in to some spots, not sure it turned out great. Its ok, but I'm also sad with the black and white. I think on ice it just doesn't pop out at all. Oh well.

New York Riveters:

S4x54vE.png

Much better. Kinda did a similar thing to Josie with the riveted look, but went a little crazy, and a little more literal with it. Looking at it now I wish I had made the home socks or shorts red instead of blue. Oh well.

Connecticut Whale:

o3kYuLl.png

This ones a little silly, but I like it. Front and back is a whale's tail popping out of the water, and stuck with the water motif for the legs. I'm apparently a very literal person.

I haven't done one for Boston, and I probably won't get to it before its "due". Now I can't get Jo's look out my head now anyways, so its probably just as well before I just copy it, haha.

Beuts, meh.  Be like the Buffalo Renegade or something, don't make your team name a word for beauty, seems cliche.  

Yeah, I don't think anyone is a big fan of the mascot choice for Buffalo. It seemed half-assed. But that's what we're stuck with so I'll support em. 

Beuts, meh.  Be like the Buffalo Renegade or something, don't make your team name a word for beauty, seems cliche.  

Yeah, I don't think anyone is a big fan of the mascot choice for Buffalo. It seemed half-assed. But that's what we're stuck with so I'll support em. 

Initially, I didn't like it, and didn't get it.

The team took to Twitter in late March to explain the name. While the "blue collar" thing gets an eye-roll (talk about a cliche'), I've since come around to it. (We discussed it upthread as well.)

Beaut: One of the greatest compliments somebody can be given in hockey.

12 retweets34 favorites

Beaut: It's somebody who is blue collar and willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Beaut: isn't necessarily a man or woman, it's a way of life. Deeply embedded in Hockey culture & represents anybody/anything that is amazing

FWIW, I'm given to understand that "beaut" is a term that is used without regard to gender in the hockey world.

"You see that sick saucer pass that Gordo sent me? Guy's a real beaut, eh."

Fixed it for ya. ;)

Edited by That Aud Smell

Initially, I didn't like it, and didn't get it.

The team took to Twitter in late March to explain the name. While the "blue collar" thing gets an eye-roll (talk about a cliche'), I've since come around to it. (We discussed it upthread as well.)

Beaut: One of the greatest compliments somebody can be given in hockey.

12 retweets34 favorites

Beaut: It's somebody who is blue collar and willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Beaut: isn't necessarily a man or woman, it's a way of life. Deeply embedded in Hockey culture & represents anybody/anything that is amazing

My problem with their explanation is it elevates something that is essentially slang. I think there's a ton of other options that are much more prestigious. But we'll get used to it. Especially if they're good.  :thumbsup:

Those tweets are pure BS.

065fabc0f49eb2d32610b8982bb44378.500x225

I agree. They picked Beauts because it is a Women's team. 

Of course the fact that they're ladies factored into the decision. If a women's league wants to leverage that girl angle, take control of it, and re-purpose it to get some exposure, then I'm all for it.

And I don't know that the boys have standing to sniff at their choice to do that. Unless, of course, you're, like, more of a feminist than anyone in that league is. Which is possible, I suppose (?). Or not. 

Smell, maybe I should explain why I said they are BS.  Those tweets come across as complete ramblings.  They're just making stuff up.  You basically hinted at that with your blue collar comments.  They picked a bad name and now they're spinning their tires trying to explain it.

Smell, maybe I should explain why I said they are BS.  Those tweets come across as complete ramblings.  They're just making stuff up.  You basically hinted at that with your blue collar comments.  They picked a bad name and now they're spinning their tires trying to explain it.

Hmm. I disagree. They may've chosen poorly -- too much of an inside joke for the general public -- but I think they intentionally chose the name with an idea of it being a play on words of sorts.

I still don't like the name.

I'm not a huge fan, either - but I give them credit for taking a risk with it.

RIT Hockey standout Erin Zach signed with Buffalo today. 

http://nwhl.co/skeats-and-zach-sign-after-toronto-camp/

Forward Erin Zach played for the RIT Tigers until she graduated in 2014. Over her collegiate career, Zach scored 74 points (30g, 44a) in 121 games, including five shorthanded goals, enough to place her at fifth all-time in RIT's record book. Zach was a member of the Tigers team that won the 2014 College Hockey America (CHA) Championship versus Mercyhurst in second overtime.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.