Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Josina Anderson of ESPN says Collins is NOT the father of the child who was killed along with Collins' ex-girlfriend.

Breaking: I've been notified by representatives of OT La'el Collins that his paternity test results were negative. Specifically, Collins is not the father of Brittney Mills' child and Collins passed A polygraph test administered by an independent investigator in connection with Mills' case.

Edited by Hoss

Damn.  That is an unfortunate turn of events for him.  Lose a GF to murder.  Loose your rep.  Loose millions of dollars.  None of which will be fully recoverable.

Definitely an unfortunate event, but he can turn it into a good situation if he's smart. He won't get the millions that come with being a first rounder, but he might have a better shot at a rich second contract now. Being able to choose the situation could be HUGE. I think most big busts are more due to situation and fit than lack of talent, so if he can make sure a team is a good fit for him and gives him an opportunity he sets himself up well to get paid on the second contract. He'll have more pressure on himself to get it done, but he certainly has the raw talent.

If I'm him I look for a situation where I'm starting immediately on a good team in a low-pressure spot. Likely somewhere with a good offensive line already. That may not be Buffalo, but they might give him the best shot to prove himself immediately. Fits Roman's scheme very well.

Run-first offense will help him develop his pass-blocking skills before he's forced to do it as much as certain teams will expect right away.

Edited by Hoss

@FO_ScottKacsmar: 2014 Highest rate of Uncatchable Targets

1. Cecil Shorts 37.3%

2. Sammy Watkins 34.4%

3. A.Hawkins 32.1%

4. VJax 31.0%

5. Mike Wallace 30.4

@FO_ScottKacsmar: Lowest rate of Uncatchable targets, 2014 WR

1. Jarvis Landry 15.2%

2. Odell Beckham Jr. 16.2%

3. Roddy White 16.8%

Good info. Thanks.

There will be no bidding war. There's a max the UDFAs can be offered in the NFL and he'll get that from any team that's legitimately interested.

According to this Sportrac article it's $435,000: https://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-veteran-discounts/

This Sun Sentinal article has it a bit higher at 3 years, $1.58M http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-lael-collins-0506-20150505-story.html

(The 8th pick is projected to get nearly $13M in total value by comparison).

Also good info. Thanks.

If he's capped at $450K per year in his first deal, he should sign a one-year deal. Does anyone know if he can do that and then be an uncapped UFA? (Probably not -- he's probably RFA but perhaps uncapped.)

While I know about the rookie wage scale, there must be something in the rules about gifts and what not. You can't just offer the a mansion, boat and plane right?

And you'd think a stats doosh like Schopp would have found this and recognized it earlier. Sammy is the real deal, they just need someone to get him the rock. I think when all said and done, Sammy is Julio Jones and Beckham is Desean Jackson. Both great players just different.

Schopp is a SDINO--stats douche in name only. 

While I know about the rookie wage scale, there must be something in the rules about gifts and what not. You can't just offer the a mansion, boat and plane right?

And you'd think a stats doosh like Schopp would have found this and recognized it earlier. Sammy is the real deal, they just need someone to get him the rock. I think when all said and done, Sammy is Julio Jones and Beckham is Desean Jackson. Both great players just different.

What do the stats really say?

Why was the target uncatchable? Was it because the QB didn't get it there, or the WR wasn't where he should have been.

I watched Robert Woods have a meltdown on the field in the San Diego game because Watkins had no clue what was going on. He grabbed Watkins by the neck and moved him on one play, and jumped up and down in a tantrum after another and started yelling at him when he ran the wrong route. People booed EJ after one throw and I actually felt bad for him because it looked like Watkins had no clue.

I mentioned this before. It doesn't mean Watkins is bad, or can't or didn't improve.....it means that stats in a nutshell are BS unless you see what the deal is.

Glad you chimed in with yet another extremely unfunny joke that's in poor taste...................................................

It's not a joke.

Maybe when you interview next year's rookie class at their symposium, you can ask if Collins was used as a case study as to why you keep a low profile when you are about to make mad coin.......

What do the stats really say?

Why was the target uncatchable? Was it because the QB didn't get it there, or the WR wasn't where he should have been.

I watched Robert Woods have a meltdown on the field in the San Diego game because Watkins had no clue what was going on. He grabbed Watkins by the neck and moved him on one play, and jumped up and down in a tantrum after another and started yelling at him when he ran the wrong route. People booed EJ after one throw and I actually felt bad for him because it looked like Watkins had no clue.

I mentioned this before. It doesn't mean Watkins is bad, or can't or didn't improve.....it means that stats in a nutshell are BS unless you see what the deal is.

That's a very good point, but when I look at the list and think about the QBs, I have a hard time believing those uncatchable numbers were due to bad/incorrect route running. The QBs associated with that bottom group: Blake Bortles, EJ Manuel & Kyle Orton, Bryan Hoyer & Johnny Manziel, Josh McCown & Mike Glennon, Ryan Tannehill. The only thing that sticks out is Tannehill had a receiver in both the top and the bottom grouping...my interpretation is that Wallace had more uncatchable targets because Tannehill has poor accuracy on deep throws which are Wallace's bread and butter route, whereas Landry works the short-intermediate routes where Tannehill is very good.

It's not a joke.

Maybe when you interview next year's rookie class at their symposium, you can ask if Collins was used as a case study as to why you keep a low profile when you are about to make mad coin.......

The kid wasn't his.

That's a very good point, but when I look at the list and think about the QBs, I have a hard time believing those uncatchable numbers were due to bad/incorrect route running. The QBs associated with that bottom group: Blake Bortles, EJ Manuel & Kyle Orton, Bryan Hoyer & Johnny Manziel, Josh McCown & Mike Glennon, Ryan Tannehill. The only thing that sticks out is Tannehill had a receiver in both the top and the bottom grouping...my interpretation is that Wallace had more uncatchable targets because Tannehill has poor accuracy on deep throws which are Wallace's bread and butter route, whereas Landry works the short-intermediate routes where Tannehill is very good.

Good stuff.

Also good info. Thanks.

If he's capped at $450K per year in his first deal, he should sign a one-year deal. Does anyone know if he can do that and then be an uncapped UFA? (Probably not -- he's probably RFA but perhaps uncapped.)

He is locked into a three-year deal, but he can, unlike drafted players, get a new deal after three whereas drafted players have to wait four years. That's where he might be able to make up his money. If he turns into a top-half starter at his position then he'll make it up pretty quickly.

It's not a joke.

What are they supposed to tell them? Don't date any women as there is a chance that another man will impregnate them after you leave them and then they could be murdered which will cause your draft stock to plummet when the police want your insight into the person she was?

You're lost here. He wasn't the father. He was never named a suspect and has been completely cleared. He did nothing wrong. He got by the system when the system wasn't even targeting him.

He is locked into a three-year deal, but he can, unlike drafted players, get a new deal after three whereas drafted players have to wait four years. That's where he might be able to make up his money. If he turns into a top-half starter at his position then he'll make it up pretty quickly.

What are they supposed to tell them? Don't date any women as there is a chance that another man will impregnate them after you leave them and then they could be murdered which will cause your draft stock to plummet when the police want your insight into the person she was?

You're lost here. He wasn't the father. He was never named a suspect and has been completely cleared. He did nothing wrong. He got ###### by the system when the system wasn't even targeting him.

Was he really a top 10 prospect?

Even if the agent said he wouldn't sign after the 3rd.....these teams do enough research and have enough info when to make a risk/reward decision. You may not take him at 9....but 99 is a no-brainer if you think the kid is a good kid.

Case 1: Jason Pominville's ex-girlfriend is 8 months pregnant in the timeframe he dated her and is murdered.

Case 2: Derek Roy's ex girlfriend is 8 months pregnant in the timeframe he dated her and is murdered.

They are both projected to be drafted in the #8-12 range. They are both wanted for questioning but not named suspects.

Who gets drafted higher?

The NFL is going to shoot themselves in the foot and remove the best player from their showcase game to open the season? NFW. Maybe a fine at worst.

They are in a vice to be sure.  Their handling of other cheating issues and their domestic violence issues will keep them on the hot seat.  

The NFL is going to shoot themselves in the foot and remove the best player from their showcase game to open the season? NFW. Maybe a fine at worst.

I think it might actually draw even more eyes to that game if he is suspended.  But let's not kid ourselves.  The league is such a cash cow and people are going to watch regardless of what happens with Brady.  Didn't ratings actually go up after all the issues of last summer?

The smartest move for the NFL would be to revoke their championship. They've already made the money off of it so they don't suffer anything financially. And it creates drama which increases viewership. The league comes out ahead no matter what.

I'd like to say there's no way the league avoids dinging Brady for a couple of games, at a minimum. But it's the NFL. They do what they want, and answer to no one. Well, no one other than maybe Congress. And I don't think this issue will rise to that level.

I also saw Simmons Tweet a predictable dismissal of the Wells Report -- something like, the report should've just referenced Brady's stat line from the Super Bowl (where the balls were, presumably, fully inflated and Brady went 37/50 325/4). It chafes me that smart people can act so ignorant: The point is not whether Brady succeeded because he cheated -- he almost certainly didn't need to cheat in order to excel. The point is that he cheated. And then lied through his teeth about it.

As for the lying, I said at the time he gave that weird press conference: That bit about "no one is dying -- this isn't ISIS . . ." was, to me, the clearest tell that he was obscuring the truth. That is just a classic ploy of someone who's being untruthful -- I hear that sort of thing from my kids from time to time: "No I didn't do it. And, geez oh man, what you're accusing me of is not that big a deal anyway."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.