Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

This is pretty naive. Just because he hasn't been arrested doesn't mean he didn't do it. Anyone know if the child was his?

But why should some teams handicap themselves and operate at a higher moral level than others? Police said he's not a suspect, he is cooperating. What do you want nfl teams to do, investigate him during a police investigation of a double murder? Other teams are trying to sign him, the bills shouldn't lot so so because he might be guilty. If he is, then you cut him.

If the bills play wait and see, and the Dolphins sign him, and turns out guilty, I'm not going to wag my finger at the Dolphins, and I'm not going to praise the bills.

So many players get signed with criminal question marks, I don't want my team not doing so we can can praise them after the fact

if your ex got murdered, you would 100 percent be questioned. No doubt. That's all that happened. I don't think you should be punished for that, I believe innocent until proven guilty. Especially for someone who would 100 percent be questioned for a crime, and for someone not ruled as a suspect. Again, just based on that, if the bills sign him as others are trying to do, please explain why anyone could blame them or why I am naive. Might be wrong, but I don't think naive lol.

Edit: I'm just grumpy because this is the time of year where the bills can do no right for so many people. If we don't spend money but the Dolphins do, then we had a bad off season and Dolphins didn't. If we spend money, we are overspending (we get players like clay, harvin, McCoy and they got mike Wallace and ellerby). If Dolphins trade up to get dip Jordan, it's praised. If we trade up for Watkins, it's a terrible trade. No matter who we draft, even though none of us know, they were a reach and better players at needed positions were available. 3 years ago we drafted Aaron Williams. People hated the pick as we didn't need DB with McGee and Florence, or safeties with whither and Byrd I believe. And can't miss DE prospects like Reed and someone else were available along with mallet. The pick was crucified, and the value pick was mallet or one of the DE. Fact is no one knows anything, but they know the bills reached or what the better pick was. I don't know if anyone's noticed, but the bills have drafted really well lately. Collins is the most sought after UDFA of all time, the bills are one of the teams being aggressive. All we know is he got questioned for a crime anyone would have been, and he is cooperating with police. And now if we sign him I'm going to have to read about the bills signing a thug or how we should have waited.

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

As one of my resident Criminal Justice experts, at what point do police actually 'name [someone] a suspect'? Wouldn't they not want to do that until they're ready to charge them in case they flee?

I expect that if they brought him in for questioning and let him leave that they didn't get any answers from him that would have set off any bells. They'd have arrested him on suspicion at that questioning session.

Also seeing as how he's already lawyered up I assume he's smart enough to know that running won't get him far. He's probably not a flight risk. And really there's nothing they can do unless they do charge him. He's a free man until that time.

I'm assuming that is Rodak's wording.  What does he mean by unsanctioned?

I think he means:  "I don't know what 'unsanctioned' means, but it sounds kind of ominous and attention-getting, so I'm going to throw it into this sentence."

(I have generally liked Rodak's work -- just thought that usage was silly.)

This courting of Collins thing comes off as unseemly, but, then again, all big business is that way from time to time.

FWIW, there's a report (from TMZ Sports!) that he has an airtight alibi of being in NOLA when the shooting occurred in Baton Rouge.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/05/05/lael-collins-alibi-in-double-murder-case/

Even if true, that alibi does not foreclose the possibility of his involvement, but it does make it far less likely.

I sure hope he didn't blow his advance from his agent on a hit man.

And I sure hope he was completely uninvolved, he signs with the Bills and he's good.

But why should some teams handicap themselves and operate at a higher moral level than others? Police said he's not a suspect, he is cooperating. What do you want nfl teams to do, investigate him during a police investigation of a double murder? Other teams are trying to sign him, the bills shouldn't lot so so because he might be guilty. If he is, then you cut him.

If the bills play wait and see, and the Dolphins sign him, and turns out guilty, I'm not going to wag my finger at the Dolphins, and I'm not going to praise the bills.

So many players get signed with criminal question marks, I don't want my team not doing so we can can praise them after the fact

if your ex got murdered, you would 100 percent be questioned. No doubt. That's all that happened. I don't think you should be punished for that, I believe innocent until proven guilty. Especially for someone who would 100 percent be questioned for a crime, and for someone not ruled as a suspect. Again, just based on that, if the bills sign him as others are trying to do, please explain why anyone could blame them or why I am naive. Might be wrong, but I don't think naive lol.

Edit: I'm just grumpy because this is the time of year where the bills can do no right for so many people. If we don't spend but the Dolphins do, then we had a bad off season and Dolphins didn't. If Dolphins trade up to get dip Jordan, it's praised. If we trade up for Watkins, it's a terrible trade. No matter who we draft, even though none of us know, they were a reach and better players at needed positions were available. 3 years ago we drafted Aaron Williams. People hated the pick as we didn't need DB with McGee and Florence, or safeties with whither and Byrd I believe. And can't miss DE prospects like Reed and someone else were available along with mallet. The pick was crucified, and the value pick was mallet or one of the DE. Fact is no one knows anything, but they know the bills reached or what the better pick was. I don't know if anyone's noticed, but the bills have drafted really well lately. Collins is the most sought after UDFA of all time, the bills are one of the teams being aggressive. All we know is he got questioned for a crime anyone would have been, and he is cooperating with police. And now if we sign him I'm going to have to read about the bills signing a thug or how we should have waited.

Perhaps that is because for many, many years, the Bills actually have done poorly this time of year -- and perhaps that is because for many years they were run by a bunch of bargain-bin losers.

Again he got questioned for the murder of someone he had relations with. If a girl anyone here dated got murdered, you would 100 percent get questioned. I hope if something like that would happen to me, the court of public opinion wouldn't find anyone talking to me in an employment setting troubling...nor blame the employer for hiring me if it turns out I did it.....or actually want no one to hire me and punish me even though all Iv done is get questioned.

Sheesh

Nfreeman - at a point it's just ridiculous. Iv seen so many articles about Darby having character concerns, when he's done nothing. The draft is an absolute crapshoot, so posters claiming someone is nothing but depth but x and y were better players at positions if needs is incredible to me. We know nothing about these players but where they are on a mock draft.

Bills inactive in free agency - losers and cheap.

Bills active in free agency and sign actually GOOD proven players - poorly ran team trying to build through FA

I expect that if they brought him in for questioning and let him leave that they didn't get any answers from him that would have set off any bells. They'd have arrested him on suspicion at that questioning session.

Also seeing as how he's already lawyered up I assume he's smart enough to know that running won't get him far. He's probably not a flight risk. And really there's nothing they can do unless they do charge him. He's a free man until that time.

That makes sense, but still, I can't really think of a lot of times where the police come out and are like "these three people are our suspects" unless they're already on the lam. Why give up that information until you have to?

That makes sense, but still, I can't really think of a lot of times where the police come out and are like "these three people are our suspects" unless they're already on the lam. Why give up that information until you have to?

But why assume otherwise and punish someone for it?

I hope everyone realizes by his ex getting murdered and him getting questioned, he has already been punished millions of dollars for something he may not have done. Let that sink in. Now let it sink in that some people still don't want nfl teams to sign him to a low risk contract and continue to punish him.

It's a double murder, should he continue to be punished until someone is convicted in years?

I think he means:  "I don't know what 'unsanctioned' means, but it sounds kind of ominous and attention-getting, so I'm going to throw it into this sentence."

(I have generally liked Rodak's work -- just thought that usage was silly.)

Yeah, it's definitely a loaded word.  The media trying their hardest to make Collins look like he is poison right now, that much is for sure.  Maybe he is, but we need to let the whole thing play out first.

Again he got questioned for the murder of someone he had relations with. If a girl anyone here dated got murdered, you would 100 percent get questioned. 

This is a fair point. Old boyfriends (or whatever) are always at the top of the list for police-contact following a homicide like this.

Apparently A.Williams, Watkins,Gray,and Woods got into some fisticuffs with each other at a Buffalo bar Saturday night.

Link? Even if it's just some dude's Tweet.

They wouldn't tell us he's a suspect unless they've already arrested him. Or at least unless they've notified his lawyer that they intend to arrest him and the lawyer leaks it.

I would expect that someone who has already lawyered up and submitted to voluntary questioning also knows that running doesn't get you anything. So he would probably follow his lawyers instructions should it come to that.

Again though, I think they'd have arrested him already if they had any suspicion.

Nfreeman - at a point it's just ridiculous. Iv seen so many articles about Darby having character concerns, when he's done nothing. The draft is an absolute crapshoot, so posters claiming someone is nothing but depth but x and y were better players at positions if needs is incredible to me. We know nothing about these players but where they are on a mock draft.

Bills inactive in free agency - losers and cheap.

Bills active in free agency and sign actually GOOD proven players - poorly ran team trying to build through FA

I completely agree with the bolded.  I appreciate that people enjoy the draft and want to discuss the merits of individual players, but I have a hard time taking fan evaluations seriously.

The character issues are a separate matter, though, and the running back does sound like a dirtbag.

My real point was that the Bills have not earned the benefit of the doubt based on the way they've conducted themselves for the last 15 freaking years.  I think TP should've fired Brandon, Whaley, Overdorf and the rest of the front office. 

They're my hometown team, I'm a STH and I want them to succeed as much as anyone does, but I need to see some results before I have any faith in management to make the right decisions.

Apparently A.Williams, Watkins,Gray,and Woods got into some fisticuffs with each other at a Buffalo bar Saturday night.

Ugh -- I can see the headlines now:  "Watkins out 10 weeks with broken wrist."

As is well-stated above, any husband, boyfriend or ex is going to be questioned in a case like this. It's called due diligence.

The media attention and the fact he wasn't drafted has really pushed speculation, but I think it has more to do with the timing of the murder than any specific hidden reason to think Collins was involved. That meant NFL people didn't have time to do their own investigations prior to investing millions in this kid. I'm glad the Bills are talking to him. Again, due diligence.

Edited by dudacek

But why assume otherwise and punish someone for it?

I hope everyone realizes by his ex getting murdered and him getting questioned, he has already been punished millions of dollars for something he may not have done. Let that sink in. Now let it sink in that some people still don't want nfl teams to sign him to a low risk contract and continue to punish him.

It's a double murder, should he continue to be punished until someone is convicted in years?

Oh I'm not saying they should punish him. I'd be fine with the Bills signing him with an out clause in there somewhere in case he gets charged or something. I just figure the whole "the cops are saying he's not even a suspect!" might be assuming a lot. There could be a "yet" at the end of that sentence; its not like they've named ANY suspects.

Sign him and start him until something else happens; I wouldn't blame them at all.

Edited by sabills

Sign the bastard and cut him if he's guilty. This team needs a guard and if I had to make a bet (from the little I have heard), I would say no connection. There is so much wrong with professional football these days that nothing really phases me anymore. This team needs a stud road grading guard in the worst way so why not take the risk. Like there is one team out there that has less than 10 players without a rap-sheet....it's brutal. 

Chuck Pollock at the Olean Times Herald is probably the dean of Bills writers. He's pretty level headed. When he writes something like this, it gets my attention.

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/article_23148eca-f20f-11e4-8b96-9b806d8d9c16.html

It can be argued that neither incident was particularly indicting of Darby.

Ya think? 

GO BILLS!!!

So what did Darby do?

Near as I can tell, he was assigned Winston as a roommate and got in a car with PJ Williams. From that, we can infer that he is of dubious character. I'll bet he wears a hoodie, too. 

GO BILLS!!!

Link? Even if it's just some dude's Tweet.

It's something I found over at TBD; somebody claims to be close to the situation (certainly debatable, but other posters seem to respect him), but as for solid evidence it's clear they were there (twitter pictures), and Woods had some tweet about Buffalo bar drama before he deleted it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.