Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

They are in as good or better shape then 20 other franchises. Unless the NFL completely loses you, you will be back.

I wouldn't agree with the first sentence.  On the 2nd, I hope so, but the NFL is pretty much unwatchable between the officiating, the commercials, and the Bills.

Without knowing specifically who is saying what, I'd bet heavily that they're simply referring to the NFL's traditional ranking by yards allowed. While I'm sure there's some correlation between that ranking and the actual quality of the defense,  I think it's wholly inferior to DVOA and there's no real reason to reference it. I'd understand if DVOA was only accessible via subscription, but it's not, it's free.

Even by traditional ranking, Pettine's defense was still 10th. 

That's probably the ranking I was hearing, I always knew they were good and were a few minor tweaks away from being great, which we saw for a brief (Darius and Hughes contract) year :P

Unless our GM pulls his head outta his @$$ and doesn't rely on Tyrod like he did on manual (which is a fireable offense on its own) idk if we will address the most glaring NFL need or if we'll stick to patchwork drafting of linemen, linebackers and such.

I just don't see next year as being better at all, this year's schedule was vanilla, and next year it gets tough. Let's see if we can break. 500 against better opponents

Unless our GM pulls his head outta his @$$ and doesn't rely on Tyrod like he did on manual (which is a fireable offense on its own) idk if we will address the most glaring NFL need or if we'll stick to patchwork drafting of linemen, linebackers and such.

I just don't see next year as being better at all, this year's schedule was vanilla, and next year it gets tough. Let's see if we can break. 500 against better opponents

I really, really don't think Tyrod was the problem. If you would have told me Tyrod's stat line, and our offensive numbers in general at the start of the year, I would have told you we'd be 10-3 right now, or 9-4 

I really, really don't think Tyrod was the problem. If you would have told me Tyrod's stat line, and our offensive numbers in general at the start of the year, I would have told you we'd be 10-3 right now, or 9-4 

I mostly agree. What I will say about Tyrod this year is I really wish he had been more consistent--it seemed like in our losses he'd play really well for either the 1st or 2nd half, but was garbage for the other half. Hell, even some of our wins were like that (Tennessee, for instance).

That doesn't meant I wouldn't prefer to get better, but I do think Tyrod is a guy you can win some games with, even if you don't often win because of him.

There's always "I don't think X was THE problem." There's almost never THE problem. There are many. I don't think Tyrod is A problem, but I'm also no convinced he's a solution. All I'm interested in at this point is solutions.

Because of that I think they need to address the position ASAP and Tyrod will be a part of that, at least immediately. Until you're sure you keep working at the position.

I still think we either need more offense from him, (including better decision making on when to run and 3rd and short) as well as passing TD's total, OR him to stay as consistent and mistake free with the defense taking a giant leap back to form, this is the thing to watch for next season along with the penalties.

But what to do with the draft, I still think we need to take a QB

There's always "I don't think X was THE problem." There's almost never THE problem. There are many. I don't think Tyrod is A problem, but I'm also no convinced he's a solution. All I'm interested in at this point is solutions.

Because of that I think they need to address the position ASAP and Tyrod will be a part of that, at least immediately. Until you're sure you keep working at the position.

Exactly where I'm at and more importantly exactly where Whaley is at.

Exactly where I'm at and more importantly exactly where Whaley is at.

What qb's are projected to go around the 3rd round? I don't think the Bills should use a first round pick on a qb unless one projected to go top 10 manages to fall to Buffalo's pick. But that's not going to happen. W/ Whaley committed to Taylor, I have no problem w/ that, Bills should go with what's best on the board. Buffalo has holes to fill. 

Edited by Thanes16

Came across this from MMQB:

This is the final installment of our three-part series on the NFL’s “Corridor of Woe”—Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo, proud franchises suffering through decades of hard times. In each city we looked at a pivotal element of team success—owner, coach, quarterback—to see what has gone wrong and what needs to change if these teams are to find the path to a Super Bowl.

The article is titled "Is Tyrod Taylor the Guy?"

Love how we're part of the "Corridor of Woe".  Fun times.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/16/tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills-nfl-rex-ryan-doug-whaley-jim-kelly

I guess a lot of it is true, for the Bills and 20 other teams. To say that the playoffs are so far off is ridiculous. Two or three calls reversed and this team is leading the wild card race in spite of all these perceived shortcomings. I understand the frustration built by the last 16 years but if a new guy came in, somehow found a way to draft Andrew Luck and then proceeded to go 6-10, 9-7, 8-8 we would all be talking how a tweak here and there and they are Suprr Bowl contenders.

Instead, 16 years has created a legion of whiner line callers.

Oh, and the Jets have the lowest strength of victory, by far, of any of the playoff contenders.

Precisely, but there have been other seasons in this drought where you can say the same about a few calls. We should expect to keep getting the short end of the stick on those calls until they start winning consistently.  In other words, I think the Bills have to be better than a playoff team just to get to the playoffs at this point. Same with Detroit and Cleveland.  They're going to need to be dominant like the early 90's teams..just to get in.

I agree with the first paragraph.  The rest not so much, I know I'm in the minority but I feel the Bills are beyond the help that any coach, players or football czar will remedy on their own.  

The Bucky article touched on the "unlikabills" theme as well.  With the team these days you get the sense from the players that if they win "great" and if they lose "oh well"  My brother somehow has kept his season tickets throughout this whole mess, and I believe it was after the Giants game this year that we talked on the phone.  He said he sat in his seat and watched multiple players on the Bills walk off the field joking around and laughing it up.  The Bills need more guys that hate to lose.  

Came across this from MMQB:

This is the final installment of our three-part series on the NFL’s “Corridor of Woe”—Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo, proud franchises suffering through decades of hard times. In each city we looked at a pivotal element of team success—owner, coach, quarterback—to see what has gone wrong and what needs to change if these teams are to find the path to a Super Bowl.

The article is titled "Is Tyrod Taylor the Guy?"

Love how we're part of the "Corridor of Woe".  Fun times.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/16/tyrod-taylor-buffalo-bills-nfl-rex-ryan-doug-whaley-jim-kelly

I know how their history looks, but I don't think Detroit should be included in the same list as those two teams right now.  They've at least made the playoffs a handful of times in recent years.  They're at least one rung above both Buffalo and Cleveland on the ladder of suck.

And I don't know why this came to mind this morning, but I think it is a great example of why the Buffalo Bills are the Buffalo Bills.  Over his career, Drew Bledsoe lost his starting job to three different QBs...

Well, if he's not a solution, maybe he's a suspension. We'll have to see what precipitates.

Unfortunately for all of you, I'm here all week.

I watched the Four Falls of Buffalo last night. It was great. So many memories came flooding back. The faces. Polian's son on the sideline. The sports dude on Channel 7 with the salt and pepper hair and mustache and the great beak. Not sure of his name. I don't think he was around long. A young Carucci. And the Christopher Hitchens lookalike who was with Marv when they were coming down the steps of the plane at one of the Super Bowls, and also in the background on the stage at the rally after SB 25. No idea who that guy is, but I instantly remembered his face.

what makes this yr slightly different from the last 16 is that we really do have talent to be 10-6. Lets get the HC ,ST coach and DC straightened out(replaced with good coaches) plus a yr of improvement from TT and this team could be 10-6 or 11-5 next yr.

Do I think tpegs will make the changes?? not sure

I know how their history looks, but I don't think Detroit should be included in the same list as those two teams right now.  They've at least made the playoffs a handful of times in recent years.  They're at least one rung above both Buffalo and Cleveland on the ladder of suck.

And I don't know why this came to mind this morning, but I think it is a great example of why the Buffalo Bills are the Buffalo Bills.  Over his career, Drew Bledsoe lost his starting job to three different QBs...

It's close, the Lions have made it to the playoffs twice in the last 15 seasons, going 0-2.  Of course when Detroit made it last year they lost by getting screwed by poor officiating.  Imagine Buffalo finally gets back to the playoffs and loses in that fashion or Music City miracle redux?  The city would implode.

The Lions playoff record since their last playoff win in 1992:  0-6.

The Bills playoff record since their last playoff win in 1995:  0-3.

Maybe a rung above in overall suck, but the misery index is higher with zero playoff success over a longer period.  Cleveland I think takes the cake in suckitude and misery though.  An 0-1 playoff record (2002) since their last playoff win in 1994 and for three seasons in there they had no team at all.

That 2 out of 15 years is also 2 out of 5 years.  That alone blows the other two out of the water.  I still can't shake the fact that we have an entire generation of fans now who haven't seen a playoff game.  Sports is such a "what have you done for me lately" business, so I'd very gladly take recent Lions years over ours.  That and they've got a bit more to fall back on than we do.  I know this was specifically football, but I have a hard time separating the rest from it.

That 2 out of 15 years is also 2 out of 5 years. That alone blows the other two out of the water. I still can't shake the fact that we have an entire generation of fans now who haven't seen a playoff game. Sports is such a "what have you done for me lately" business, so I'd very gladly take recent Lions years over ours. That and they've got a bit more to fall back on than we do. I know this was specifically football, but I have a hard time separating the rest from it.

Yeah I suppose you're right in terms of recency, but overall the Lions are nearly as sorry as we are for the past two decades. For a big chunk of Bills fans just making the playoffs will be like winning the Super Bowl at this point I guess. I'd suspect most bills fans around my age are "meh" with simply just making it.

Yeah I suppose you're right in terms of recency, but overall the Lions are nearly as sorry as we are for the past two decades. For a big chunk of Bills fans just making the playoffs will be like winning the Super Bowl at this point I guess. I'd suspect most bills fans around my age are "meh" with simply just making it.

It has to start somewhere.  We're probably just spoiled (not the right word) by the fact that every single time we made the playoffs over that 10 or so year span, we were also a superbowl contender.  They become associated with each other.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.