Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

When the appeal process began two of ESPN's "legal analysts" said that the court judges will just laugh at Tom Brady if he does file an appeal there. I believe one joked that the only way anything different happens is if the Judge graduated from Michican and is a Pats fan.

Thinking about it I just can't see a way the court system does anything. I imagine they'll just aim to settle. What would he be arguing? That he was punished for something he didn't do? That happens in many jobs. That he was unfairly treated compared to others? Meh. I think the NFL would've had to suspended/punished him multiple times and established a pattern of unfair treatment for that to stand. That they didn't honor the lord almighty who is married to the Goddess of Uggs herself? Well, he has a shot there.

Note: I'm hoping somebody here who understands the court system more will be able to elaborate as to why Brady might have a shot in an appeal to the courts. I don't suspect it'll even get there if Brady is willing to take the lessened suspension the NFL will inevitably hand down.

Edited by Hoss

The path to overturning an arb award in a court is, in theory, an arduous one. The actual standard eludes me at present, but it's in the nature of manifest disregard of the law and acting in excess of his powers. That's tough sledding.

Then again, if the Judge is inclined to side with you, s/he'll find a way.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'm gonna start my own "EJ WILL BE FINE" campaign

Despite EJ Manuel posting the 4th best passer rating ever in NFL history for a rookie playing 3 games in weeks 1-3, and despite EJ Manuel excelling on 1st down unlike most rookie quarterbacks the NFL has seen, another rookie stepped in to break up the party.  Rookie head coach Doug Marrone stripped Manuel of his ability to pass on the early downs after 3 games.  And just like that, after 3 weeks, Marrone seemed to direct an offense which would ultimately render impotent Manuel's best chance for NFL success.

Very good article here, I encourage anyone who doubts EJ or Marone's idiocy to check it out

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/how-a-rookie-head-coach-derailed-a-rookie-quarterback-then-vanished-with-4-million-071515

I'm gonna start my own "EJ WILL BE FINE" campaign

Very good article here, I encourage anyone who doubts EJ or Marone's idiocy to check it out

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/how-a-rookie-head-coach-derailed-a-rookie-quarterback-then-vanished-with-4-million-071515

Great article! Amazing stats.  I also liked the end where the author stated that he's not saying Manuel should be handed a starting job, but that he's just stating the facts that Marrone apparently hindered EJ's growth. 

The fact that EJ Manuel went 7 starts from week 4 onward and attempted a TOTAL of just NINE 1st quarter, 1st down passes is ridiculous.  As such, with the run game not producing (3.2 ypc) on these continual first down runs, it put EJ Manuel in a bad predicament:  3rd and long and not in any type of rhythm.  Those are two things that should be avoided at all costs for rookie quarterbacks, but seemingly, Doug Marrone welcomed them.

This was always my biggest problem with Marrone.  He had no idea how to get an offense in rhythm whatsoever.  Play calling is an incomprehensible foreign language to him.  It always made me angry when people said that EJ failed despite the fact that Marrone was sheltering him.  Marrone was never sheltering EJ, he was throwing him to the wolves because *shrug* whatevs.

Despite EJ Manuel posting the 4th best passer rating ever in NFL history for a rookie playing 3 games in weeks 1-3..............

.......while wearing red or black underwear, less than 3 days facial hair growth when the temperature is between 46° and 72°.

Seriously, how do you even come up with a stat like that?

Edited by JJFIVEOH

.......while wearing red or black underwear, less than 3 days facial hair growth when the temperature is between 46° and 72°.

We should program a bot for JJ to have a response like this whenever anybody uses specific stats in a statistical analysis.  At least in this case, the specific stat was actually pretty ridiculous.

Edited by qwksndmonster

A rookie starting his team's first three games isn't stretching for a stat...

No, but it's pretty worthless, especially under the circumstances of how EJ got those starts (Kolb's brain being scrambled).

I'm as big of a doubt as there is with EJ, but I don't think this stat is ridiculous or worthless in the context of the article. He succeeded in a scenario and then suddenly those opportunities were stripped away.

It's not being used to say he's better or worse than others, but it is being used to show a possible reason for his failures: the coach who makes those decisions to lessen the opportunities in which he was succeeding early.

select passer_rating where player_season_number=1 and game_number<4 and game_number>0;

As long as the data is in a database, getting it out isn't that hard. There should be a sort and average in there, but my SQL knowledge is very basic.

select passer_rating where player_season_number=1 and game_number<4 and game_number>0;

As long as the data is in a database, getting it out isn't that hard. There should be a sort and average in there, but my SQL knowledge is very basic.

JJ only believes in entire career stats.  Don't waste the effort.

I'm as big of a doubt as there is with EJ, but I don't think this stat is ridiculous or worthless in the context of the article. He succeeded in a scenario and then suddenly those opportunities were stripped away.

It's not being used to say he's better or worse than others, but it is being used to show a possible reason for his failures: the coach who makes those decisions to lessen the opportunities in which he was succeeding early.

I read it differently, that he was trying to make a stronger point. I read it as some evidence that he was really good to start with, and something like that based on such a miniscule sample, while ignoring historical context, irked me. But I was probably just reading too much into it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.