Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Hypo since no one is agreeing with Hoss. Is a 50 year old man who flirts with and gets a 16 year old girl to come to his house a predator? I think so because it's taken advantage of a situation to manipulate someone to be used to achieve your a goal. In that example the victim is young and naive and the man has the age advantage.

Now add 5 years to the girls age, and millions of dollars to the man. Still a form of manipulation and same phenonenon going on imo. I don't think a 21 year old girl enamored with a millionaire celebrity is any less naive than the 16 year old girl, nor is McCoy any less aware what he is doing.

That would be my argument at least. A predator is not necessarily require to be on the offensive or getting someone who is trying to get away.

You changed the dynamics of the perceived hunt. You have an experienced hunter vs. young prey. The party seems to be of similar aged people, the experienced vs. naïve is not an argument that can be used. Edited by Woods-Racer

No. It doesn't. I'm the one saying it. I know what I mean. I don't mean rapist.

Basically it comes down to a difference of opinion and a different meaning of the word predatory in this case.

So if he's not raping anyone then what is the problem? 

Basically it comes down to a difference of opinion and a different meaning of the word predatory in this case.

C'mon Hoss, you can't have it both ways. Either he is using his position to take advantage of these women in a predatory, and therefore harmful manner, or he's just throwing a party and would like to have fun. Predatory has one meaning Edited by WildCard

That and the confidentiality agreement. It's basically saying "some really messed up ###### is going to happen that night."

I'd guess the confidentiality agreement is saying "you can't take photos in here and sell them to TMZ."

Definitions of words aren't matters of opinion.

What exactly do you mean when you say "predatory?"

So if he's not raping anyone then what is the problem?

This has been almost universally viewed as disgusting and/or creepy. I'm not some rogue agent trying to convince anybody of anything. Most are already convinced of it.

Just about everybody is at least a little uneasy about this. I think that advertising an event to get attractive women who you know will be easy and will targets is predatory and shady.

If you don't that's okay. That's your opinion. This is mine.

This has been almost universally viewed as disgusting and/or creepy. I'm not some rogue agent trying to convince anybody of anything. Most are already convinced of it.

Just about everybody is at least a little uneasy about this. I think that advertising an event to get attractive women who you know will be easy and will targets is predatory and shady.

If you don't that's okay. That's your opinion. This is mine.

I don't think you understand the word predatory. 

I don't think you understand the word predatory.

Predatory: "seeking to exploit or oppress others."

I don't think there's any element missing there. He's exploiting the desires of women who he knows want a night with a rich and famous professional football player.

Yea, I fully understand the word.

Just to be clear: I'm not referring to him as a sexual predator. I'm referring to him as a predator. There's a difference. Others here seem to be making a jump that I simply have not.

Edited by Hoss

I don't think there's any element missing there. He's exploiting the desires of women who he knows want a night with a rich and famous professional football player.

Just to be clear: I'm not referring to him as a sexual predator. I'm referring to him as a predator. There's a difference. Others here seem to be making a jump that I simply have not.

You can't say he's going to exploit them and not clarify what that exploitation is. What is the act of exploitation? 

But again, these women aren't in some kind of compromised position--they're not drunk, or drugged, or being blackmailed into this. Hell, he's not even targeting specific women--it's an open invite that women themselves have to volunteer to be a part of. Your position is coming off such that having some sort of fame/celebrity precludes relations with women who are attracted to those qualities because it would be de-facto predatory behavior. What if he (or anyone of similar status) is out at a club and a woman recognizes him and approaches because of that. Is he supposed to tell her to go away because accepting her company would mean he's taking advantage of her natural inclinations? That's basically what you're arguing: McCoy cannot have sex with women who want to have sex with him due to his money/celebrity, because that would be predatory behavior by default. 

Edited by TrueBluePhD

You can't say he's going to exploit them and not clarify what that exploitation is. What is the act of exploitation?

He's exploiting their desires to have a night with a rich professional football player (which I pointed out earlier).

There will inevitably be one or a select few that ultimately get what they came for. He is creating a large pool and will be weeding his way through that crowd to pick those "winners" of his night.

It's different when there's an encounter that wasn't staged. There's no doubt that these guys go out at night knowing that they will encounter women or men who desire to be with them because of who they are... But they didn't strategically place them at a location that they can walk into already knowing what they look like and who they are on social media. The invite restricts it to women who want to be around McCoy, are good looking and are willing to be quiet about it.

By definition of the word as it is: this is predatory. Obviously the negative connotations of the word that you seem to have in mind here make it seem more harsh than I'm actually making it...

But again, these women aren't in some kind of compromised position--they're not drunk, or drugged, or being blackmailed into this. Hell, he's not even targeting specific women--it's an open invite that women themselves have to volunteer to be a part of. Your position is coming off such that having some sort of fame/celebrity precludes relations with women who are attracted to those qualities because it would be de-facto predatory behavior. What if he (or anyone of similar status) is out at a club and a woman recognizes him and approaches because of that. Is he supposed to tell her to go away because accepting her company would mean he's taking advantage of her natural inclinations? That's basically what you're arguing: McCoy cannot have sex with women who want to have sex with him due to his money/celebrity, because that would be predatory behavior by default.

See above.

He's exploiting their desires to have a night with a rich professional football player (which I pointed out earlier).

There will inevitably be one or a select few that ultimately get what they came for. He is creating a large pool and will be weeding his way through that crowd to pick those "winners" of his night.

It's different when there's an encounter that wasn't staged. There's no doubt that these guys go out at night knowing that they will encounter women or men who desire to be with them because of who they are... But they didn't strategically place them at a location that they can walk into already knowing what they look like and who they are on social media. The invite restricts it to women who want to be around McCoy, are good looking and are willing to be quiet about it.

By definition of the word as it is: this is predatory. Obviously the negative connotations of the word that you seem to have in mind here make it seem more harsh than I'm actually making it...

See above.

There's nothing predatory about it. It's an open oopportunity for all parties involved to get what they want.

Hoss,

You got this liberal, save the world mentality. You speak about the right of woman to be treated equal, to wear what they choose, to act the way they want, (all things are agree with, by the way) but you want to be their protector as well. You refuse to believe that a segment of the female population is just like Shady. When you are exploiting someone, by definition these people don't know they are being exploited. The woman that are sending rsvp's know exactly what they are signing up for.

I know you hate any reference to your profession, but when you start hanging around locker rooms and athletes you will see these for yourself.

Another word of advice, just because everyone you follow believes the same thing, it doesn't mean that "everyone" believes the same way. There are very few topics where you can get the whole of the population to form a unanimous opinion.

Hoss,

You got this liberal, save the world mentality. You speak about the right of woman to be treated equal, to wear what they choose, to act the way they want, (all things are agree with, by the way) but you want to be their protector as well. You refuse to believe that a segment of the female population is just like Shady. When you are exploiting someone, by definition these people don't know they are being exploited. The woman that are sending rsvp's know exactly what they are signing up for.

I have not said anything that shows that I don't believe women can be just as predatory (In fact, I believe that they often are). And there is nothing in the definition of exploitation that requires that the victimized party is unaware of it.

Maybe predatory isn't the right word because, despite my insisting otherwise, you can't ignore the negative connotations that come with the word in this setting. Maybe "abuse of power" is more appropriate for what I'm getting at.

Edited by Hoss

Hoss,

I know you hate any reference to your profession, but when you start hanging around locker rooms and athletes you will see these for yourself.

Another word of advice, just because everyone you follow believes the same thing, it doesn't mean that "everyone" believes the same way. There are very few topics where you can get the whole of the population to form a unanimous opinion.

I believe the word you are looking for is idealistic.  And yes, he's idealistic in spades.  I suppose most all of us were at one time.

I believe the word you are looking for is idealistic. And yes, he's idealistic in spades. I suppose most all of us were at one time.

I'll get old and crotchety eventually. :p

It's kind of like Eleven's point back in the politics thread: will my generation and the generation after fight and do something to help improve the country or will we just get complacent as we get older and more comfortable?

I have not said anything that shows that I don't believe women can be just as predatory (In fact, I believe that they often are). And there is nothing in the definition of exploitation that requires that the victimized party is unaware of it.

Maybe predatory isn't the right word because, despite my insisting otherwise, you can't ignore the negative connotations that come with the word in this setting. Maybe "abuse of power" is more appropriate for what I'm getting at.

Is it though? Who is abusing who in this scenario? 

I'll get old and crotchety eventually. :P

It's kind of like Eleven's point back in the politics thread: will my generation and the generation after fight and do something to help improve the country or will we just get complacent as we get older and more comfortable?

It isn't complacent.  It's the realization that there is too much grey to expend much energy fighting over black and white.

Edited by weave

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.