Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Doesn't sound good; moral of the story boys and girls: destroy the evidence

@AP_NFL

#Deflategate judge presses NFL for direct evidence linking Brady to deflated footballs http://apne.ws/1ModlMw

There was a guy illegally live-tweeting today in the court room.

@PPVSRB

It looks like today leans in Brady's favor, but the grilling was pretty strong both ways. The judge said it's safe to assume that Brady would know if the balls were deflated because he is throwing them all game.

He also said that if the Pats are arguing that it didn't help Brady then why would the two assistants go rogue to do it.

Questioned if it even matters that it didn't help (I would think it doesn't since it's still breaking the rules. It's like using steroids in a loss, it still counts as breaking the rules).

He also questioned why Brady destroyed the cell phone.

I noticed that the story about Brady's cell phones changed today. It went from him having the phones destroyed to having his assistant "get rid of them." Much different and still doesn't explain why this phone was destroyed but he still has one of his other old phones.

There was a guy illegally live-tweeting today in the court room.

@PPVSRB

It looks like today leans in Brady's favor, but the grilling was pretty strong both ways. The judge said it's safe to assume that Brady would know if the balls were deflated because he is throwing them all game.

He also said that if the Pats are arguing that it didn't help Brady then why would the two assistants go rogue to do it.

Questioned if it even matters that it didn't help (I would think it doesn't since it's still breaking the rules. It's like using steroids in a loss, it still counts as breaking the rules).

He also questioned why Brady destroyed the cell phone.

I noticed that the story about Brady's cell phones changed today. It went from him having the phones destroyed to having his assistant "get rid of them." Much different and still doesn't explain why this phone was destroyed but he still has one of his other old phones.

The phone stories are great. I am still waiting for the explanation as to why, if he destroys them every four months, he was able to give the league the phone records from an earlier phone from November '14, but the later phone containing the records the NFL wanted, was destroyed. 

More importantly, not one of our QBs has yet completed a pass today in practice. Indeed, there is no sign of EJ anywhere near the practice field. I believe he has already been cut. 

This brings up an issue I have with reporters who tweet results from practice in real time. Specifically, I have an issue with reporters who tweet results of plays and add their own commentary to it. It's impossible to watch everything at the same time, especially from the sidelines where reporters stand at camp. A single football play has too many variables to know exactly what went wrong unless it's obvious i.e. there's good protection and a quarterback misses a receiver running all alone downfield.

If a quarterback walks up to the line, signals something to his receiver, snaps the ball, is blitzed heavy, and ends up throwing the ball 5 yards behind the receiver, a reporter could tweet "EJ under heavy pressure and doesn't connect with Harvin." or a reporter could tweet "EJ misses badly. Doesn't even give Harvin a chance. Woof." If it turns out that EJ signaled a hot route and the receiver didn't run it when the blitz was called, then it was the receiver's fault and the first tweet would be more correct because it refrained from making personal commentary. And this has nothing to do with Joe B directly, or EJ. They just happened to be involved in the play yesterday that was the receiver's fault. The point I'm trying to make is that there are so many variables to create the outcome of a play that it's difficult to inject your own commentary in real-time unless you 1. Know the playcall 2. Know the duties of each player on each play or 3. Every other variable is accounted for besides 1 or 2 that you can point to and say "THAT is exactly what went wrong with the play. The RB failed to pick up the backside end in pass protection" or "Percy failed to stick his route a few yards shorter to account for the blitz and hot throw."

All great points. 

There's a poster on Buffalo Rumblings called "LifetimeBillsFan" who only posts once in a while but always writes these really long and super-insightful posts. His opinion is similar to yours. I thought I'd share what he said (bolded the points I haven't really heard anywhere else":

All this day-to-day "horse race" commentary and analysis, including the hand-wringing about which member of the media or which poster is or isn’t biased, is a lot of nonsense.

The coaches have said that this is a competition and that they are going to give Cassel, EJ and Taylor each a shot at winning it. But, they have, rightly in my opinion, not said how they have set up the competition or what criteria they are going to use to judge it. Nor does any training camp observer know what is being called or who is actually responsible when many of the mistakes are being made that seen by observers (and you can bet that there are mistakes being made by all three of these QBs that are not being seen by observers as well). So, handicapping this competition like a horse-race based on what people in the stands are seeing from one day to the next is an exercise in futility.

If the coaches are going to be fair—and the rest of the players on the team are going to be watching to see if they are, so it is in their best interests to be fair—they are not going to make a judgement on the outcome of this competition until they have seen these three QBs each go up against "hostile opposition" at least a couple of times. I believe that the Bills are still scrimmaging against Cleveland and, if they are, the coaches are going to want to see these three QBs against them and in the first two preseason games before making a decision on who is going to be their starting QB…at the very least. Indeed, depending on how close they see the competition being, the coaches may not make up their minds until after the third preseason game.

Because each of these QBs has different strengths and different weaknesses and preseason training camp is a time when players work on improving their strengths and weaknesses, the coaches could be asking each of these QBs to be working on different things than one another each or most days. We don’t know whether that is or isn’t the case. Also, because this is a new offense and the coaches are installing and working on different sets of plays each day, the plays and even the types of plays that each QB is being asked to run on a given day may be different. For example: on a given day, one QB might be given 7 out of 10 plays that play into his strengths, while another QB might only run 2 out of 10 plays that play into his strengths with 5 that require him to do something that he really isn’t good at doing. Watching from the sidelines, a fan or even a beat writer doesn’t know that and simply cannot judge which QB did a better job or showed more improvement that day. Only the coaches and players will be able to make that call.

It’s not going to be until we get to see these three QBs going at it against a hostile opponent in a game-type setting a couple of times that we are going to have a real idea of how this competition is really going. And, even then, we may not see it the same way that the coaches are seeing it because we still won’t know what criteria they are using to judge the outcome. They might opt for the QB who is going to make fewer big plays but not turn the ball over as much, where I might prefer the QB who is going to make some mistakes but will also make some big plays, or vice versa, for example.

I’m not going to make any assessments or judgments about the Bills’ QBs until I get a chance to see them play against another team a couple of times. Once I get to see them all in a game-type situation against hostile opposition, I’ll begin to form an opinion about who I think should probably end up being the starting QB. To do so before then, IMHO would be premature. And, I think the Bills coaches are going to wait until then to make any decisions about who they believe should be the starting QB as well.

More importantly, not one of our QBs has yet completed a pass today in practice. Indeed, there is no sign of EJ anywhere near the practice field. I believe he has already been cut.

TBF they haven't thrown a a pick yet either. I'm more concerned that Clay and McCoy have been invisible out there so far today Edited by WildCard

All great points.

There's a poster on Buffalo Rumblings called "LifetimeBillsFan" who only posts once in a while but always writes these really long and super-insightful posts. His opinion is similar to yours. I thought I'd share what he said (bolded the points I haven't really heard anywhere else":

Awesome, I share many of his sentiments. And really, what is the rush for people to claim "their guy" when the coaches haven't even figured it out yet themselves? So you can say I told you so? There's just no reason to have a horse in the race when we all win if any of the horses has a great showing when the games matter. Now, going to practice and speculating which horse is in the lead is a natural thing to do being a fan of the team and wanting to see success, but denouncing the other horses because you pick your favorite prematurely doesn't really get you anywhere.

This may be bad news for he guy, though. Geno had apparently been considering filing charges against him... It probably just got a little easier for him to decide.

And the NFL will likely end up suspending him. As PFT pointed out the new NFL policies will likely apply not only to domestic violence but also workplace violence.

i think it's the bills' way of waving the middle finger way up in the air to not just the jets, but all jets' fans.

i don't like the pick-up for him actually playing, but the fact that the bills had the balls to pick him up after he *just* got released for taking out their supposing starting QB is just ... there's some large sense of satisfaction in the bills' ZFG mentality. i really kinda like it.

IF footwork is an ability? Rest assured it is and I could argue none of a QB's other abilities matter much without it; from executing handoffs and especially in timing patterns. It is vital to be fundamentally sound in this area.

EJ is a schizoid of a QB. From the waist up, he is everything you could hope for. From the waist down, a train wreck.

GO BILLS!!!

the arm is below the waist? and the brain as well?

This may be bad news for he guy, though. Geno had apparently been considering filing charges against him... It probably just got a little easier for him to decide.

And the NFL will likely end up suspending him. As PFT pointed out the new NFL policies will likely apply not only to domestic violence but also workplace violence.

Because he wants to make a living Geno will press charges?

He's got the arm strength to make throws. Accuracy with him seems to be largely related to terrible footwork. Brain seems to be a mixed bag with him. Confident but maybe not the smartest.

I haven't seen that much arm strength. If someone shows me something on film where he flings the ball 60 yards with ease like an nfl qb should do then I will recant. Accuracy has to do with the arm as well--even though not necc strength related.Improve his footwork and his accuracy will still suck. Good QBs get accurate throws off even when throwing off balance and fleeing defenders.I rarely if ever have seen him hit a receiver where he doesn't have to break stride.

Edited by calti

Because he wants to make a living Geno will press charges?

I haven't seen that much arm strength. If someone shows me something on film where he flings the ball 60 yards with ease like an nfl qb should do then I will recant. Accuracy has to do with the arm as well--even though not necc strength related.Improve his footwork and his accuracy will still suck. Good QBs get accurate throws off even when throwing off balance and fleeing defenders.I rarely if ever have seen him hit a receiver where he doesn't have to break stride.

Go to 1:00 here to watch him throw from his own 30 to inside the 5 yard line:

I'm not trying to defend him as an overall QB, but he's got arm strength. Problem is the accuracy. He leans too heavy on his back foot on deep balls essentially just throwing it as high and far as he can at times. I don't think accuracy as much of an arm thing. Leading the receiver uses your brain and muscle memory. His footwork would go a LONG way to improving his accuracy, but I agree that it's not going to cure it. His inaccuracies seem to be the type that never get better if they haven't by this point in his career.

I don't think EJ is an NFL QB. He's got a ton of the tools, but it takes more than looking the part to get it done.

the arm is below the waist? and the brain as well?

His arm, particularly his release, is elite. For such a lengthy build, there is very little wasted motion; extremely efficient.

As for his brain, he has no problem making good reads. He blew teams away in that regard while being scouted and during his interview process. He can get us in and out of the right and wrong plays and has been since his first game.

If there is an aspect of his mental game I question, it's his poise. He tends to panic and that's when his lower body mechanics breakdown most often. But even when he is collected and in command, he has a tendency be lazy with his feet. He just doesn't set them properly much of the time. I think that is the result of always being able to rely on his arm to make plays and it may be so ingrained that it is not correctable.

GO BILLS!!!

His arm, particularly his release, is elite. For such a lengthy build, there is very little wasted motion; extremely efficient.

As for his brain, he has no problem making good reads. He blew teams away in that regard while being scouted and during his interview process. He can get us in and out of the right and wrong plays and has been since his first game.

If there is an aspect of his mental game I question, it's his poise. He tends to panic and that's when his lower body mechanics breakdown most often. But even when he is collected and in command, he has a tendency be lazy with his feet. He just doesn't set them properly much of the time. I think that is the result of always being able to rely on his arm to make plays and it may be so ingrained that it is not correctable.

GO BILLS!!!

This is a great assessment

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.