Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

What I see when I read this is that Buffalo hasn't really missed on anyone other then Russel Wilson in the last five years. Are we really going to blame them for passing in a bunch of stiffs? There is just a real shortage of viable QB's.

Maybe, just maybe, if the league wants to be competitive, it needs to go back to its format in the 80s and 90s, when a great quarterback was important, but not essential.  I cannot imagine Trent Dilfer's Ravens today.  I also cannot imagine Marino not winning multiple SBs today--but back then, he needed a running back, too.

Maybe, just maybe, if the league wants to be competitive, it needs to go back to its format in the 80s and 90s, when a great quarterback was important, but not essential. I cannot imagine Trent Dilfer's Ravens today. I also cannot imagine Marino not winning multiple SBs today--but back then, he needed a running back, too.

Nobody wants to play defense-centric fantasy football.

It's an interesting question: Has the league gone so QB heavy that competitive balance is unattainable. If so, can the league put the genie back in the bottle?

Of course they can, I just don't think they have any interest in doing so. Offense sells.

It's an interesting question: Has the league gone so QB heavy that competitive balance is unattainable. If so, can the league put the genie back in the bottle?

Nobody wants to play defense-centric fantasy football.

Of course they can, I just don't think they have any interest in doing so. Offense sells.

Right.

But a running game is offense, too.  Maybe more likely to lead to head injuries, though?  I don't know.

Edited by Eleven

Right.

But a running game is offense, too. Maybe more likely to lead to head injuries, though? I don't know.

Sure, but the league hasn't done anything to discourage the running game directly. It's just that the passing game is so much more effective. I'm not sure there's a real way for the league to de-emphasize the pass game without all offense being stifled since defenses could just key on the run game again.

Yeah. The league is sorta charging a direction toward a game where everyone plays multiple wides and contact in secondary is limited.

Past tense. The charge has already happened ;) Edited by TrueBluePhD

TT is a spectacular playmaker who tends to bail if his first read isn't there. He will make plays but he won't make a living as a starting QB unless he can operate from the pocket. It is that simple.

I'm in no position to argue for/against, but this thread from TBD provides argument against this statement.  I'll say that it may be tough to judge based on the preseason game plan. EDIT: Forgot link http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/179939-taylor-not-a-one-read-and-run-qb-play-by-play-look/

I agree.  He'll succeed for a few games and eventually, a D-dude will get that lick on him that (a) knocks him out of the game, or (b) more seriously injures him.  The NFL has a way of beating the happy feat out of QBs that overuse it.

From what I have seem, I don't see Tyrod as haphazard or careless in this regard as, say, RGIII, or EJ when he got hurt versus the Browns in 2013.  I could bw wrong.

I missed the game Friday, just catching up.  Does anyone have anything to offer regarding the starting O-line play?  It seems Miller played well.  Was Incognito in?  Glenn look healthy/solid?  Who was at RT - Kouandijo or Seantrel or both?

Lastly, I think it is worth a mention that with limited amount of time I have been coming to SabreSpace to keep on top of Bills news, and TBD for updates on the PKane saga, rather than try to play catchup by wading through the madness the other way around. :lol:

Edited by Cereal

It'll be real interesting watching him w/ the 1's. IF he plays like he did Friday, they've found the starter.

Personally, I'm hoping they keep all 3 (assuming they all play like they previewed Friday). Would hate to have Tyrod get injured and then be left w/ Cassell & a street free agent learning a new offense. Though I'd keep all three, I expect there's something to the rumors they're shopping EJ and would not be at all surprised to see them trade him for a late round pick (5-6th round).

Too bad they didn't pick somebody mid-round in '11 or '12 when there were guys available. Sad part is, when all is said & done, they probably did choose the best of the bunch in '13. How does an entire draft class have not 1 GOOD QB? At least they traded down before picking him.

Keep telling yourself that.  It was a waste of pick then and it continues to be a waste now.  Saying he is the best of the 13 class and trying to use that as justification is dumb.  He wasn't that good, he isn't that good.  Once again the Bills do something stupid and then we ride the excuse train around for a few seasons while they claim why it was the right decision at the time.  Too bad they didn't pick somebody in round 5/6 in 2014 when half the SEC was up for grabs. 

The bills should be treating QB's like GT.  Draft one every year just about and I bet someone will surprise you. Instead they have drafted what? 4 qb's in the last 15 years or something sad like that?  The front office needs to get their together because their is now an entire generation of WNY football fans who have never even seen a Bills playoff game.

Keep telling yourself that. It was a waste of pick then and it continues to be a waste now. Saying he is the best of the 13 class and trying to use that as justification is dumb. He wasn't that good, he isn't that good. Once again the Bills do something stupid and then we ride the excuse train around for a few seasons while they claim why it was the right decision at the time. Too bad they didn't pick somebody in round 5/6 in 2014 when half the SEC was up for grabs.

The bills should be treating QB's like GT. Draft one every year just about and I bet someone will surprise you. Instead they have drafted what? 4 qb's in the last 15 years or something sad like that? The front office needs to get their ###### together because their is now an entire generation of WNY football fans who have never even seen a Bills playoff game.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but I don't think the rage is appropriate in response to what Taro said.

The line you bolded is a fine point. If you're going to make a mistake at least get SOMETHING out of it. In this case the Bills got LeSean McCoy because they traded down (acquired the pick to take Kiko, traded Kiko for McCoy).

I agree that "best of 13" means nothing (and I'm still not ready to agree with that anyways). I don't think Taro was making excuses. He seems pretty discontent with the selection, too.

Everybody should be. It was yet another poor decision at the position.

Keep telling yourself that.  It was a waste of pick then and it continues to be a waste now.  Saying he is the best of the 13 class and trying to use that as justification is dumb.  He wasn't that good, he isn't that good.  Once again the Bills do something stupid and then we ride the excuse train around for a few seasons while they claim why it was the right decision at the time.  Too bad they didn't pick somebody in round 5/6 in 2014 when half the SEC was up for grabs. 

The bills should be treating QB's like GT.  Draft one every year just about and I bet someone will surprise you. Instead they have drafted what? 4 qb's in the last 15 years or something sad like that?  The front office needs to get their ###### together because their is now an entire generation of WNY football fans who have never even seen a Bills playoff game.

Keep telling myself what? You disagree that trading down was a good thing? :huh: In what universe is getting an extra pick before taking the guy THEY thought was the best of a sad bunch a bad thing? :wacko:

We get it Liger, you hated the pick. Newsflash, none of the 3 you DID want were ANY better (Barkley, Smith, & Nassib). :doh: And, simply because you consistently shout it from the rooftop, there is no guarantee that they could have traded further back in the 1st or into the 2nd & still gotten THEIR guy. There were believable rumors that the Jests and Iggles were looking at EJ as well. Was that just noise to get the Bills to jump early? Possibly, but we won't know and Nix took the rumor seriously enough to just move back to ~15.

At the time of the announcement, I was advocating having Manuel be the 3rd stringer to start the season, drafting another QB in the 3rd/4th, AND if none of that (Kolb, Jackson, EJ, 3rd rounder, or other) panned out that year suggested that sending EJ & their '14 1st for a crack near the top of the draft would be a good thing.

And I've been on 11's (& TB's, & a couple others') bandwagon to grab a QB every year for a long time. Though I would have liked to see them draft another guy this year; picking up Taylor essentially filled that role, so I was ok w/ not drafting a guy this year. And, as stated in the post you were quoting, I'd said I'd've preferred they'd gone after a guy in '11 or '12 when there were several servicable - very good QB's to take a chance on rather that going 'all in' in the worst QB draft in, what, at least a decade?

And, lastly, lighten up Francis. Or at least switch to decaf.

Keep telling myself what? You disagree that trading down was a good thing? :huh: In what universe is getting an extra pick before taking the guy THEY thought was the best of a sad bunch a bad thing? :wacko:

We get it Liger, you hated the pick. Newsflash, none of the 3 you DID want were ANY better (Barkley, Smith, & Nassib). :doh: And, simply because you consistently shout it from the rooftop, there is no guarantee that they could have traded further back in the 1st or into the 2nd & still gotten THEIR guy. There were believable rumors that the Jests and Iggles were looking at EJ as well. Was that just noise to get the Bills to jump early? Possibly, but we won't know and Nix took the rumor seriously enough to just move back to ~15.

At the time of the announcement, I was advocating having Manuel be the 3rd stringer to start the season, drafting another QB in the 3rd/4th, AND if none of that (Kolb, Jackson, EJ, 3rd rounder, or other) panned out that year suggested that sending EJ & their '14 1st for a crack near the top of the draft would be a good thing.

And I've been on 11's (& TB's, & a couple others') bandwagon to grab a QB every year for a long time. Though I would have liked to see them draft another guy this year; picking up Taylor essentially filled that role, so I was ok w/ not drafting a guy this year. And, as stated in the post you were quoting, I'd said I'd've preferred they'd gone after a guy in '11 or '12 when there were several servicable - very good QB's to take a chance on rather that going 'all in' in the worst QB draft in, what, at least a decade?

And, lastly, lighten up Francis. Or at least switch to decaf.

They shouldn't have taken a QB, he shouldn't have been "their guy" at all.  That is the point.  They reached, they reached hard.  They should have set up their board and graded EJ appropriately, if they, they would have graded him in the 3rd round or later but instead the brain trust graded him super duper high, they panicked when "rumors" surfaced another team wanted him and then they picked EJ Manuel with a 1st round pick instead of drafting an impact player. They up.  For that alone, I would fire anyone left who went along with that decision.  That is why I am angry and when I spoke out against the pick I was shouted down by a large portion of people. 

Lastly, go get yourself a liter of cola, my anger was not and is not directed at you. Stop taking it personally, it's a little egotistical.

Also if they hadn't traded down the pick would have been even more of a disaster than it was. 

They shouldn't have taken a QB, he shouldn't have been "their guy" at all.  That is the point.  They reached, they reached hard.  They should have set up their board and graded EJ appropriately, if they, they would have graded him in the 3rd round or later but instead the brain trust graded him super duper high, they panicked when "rumors" surfaced another team wanted him and then they picked EJ ###### Manuel with a 1st round pick instead of drafting an impact player. They ###### up.  For that alone, I would fire anyone left who went along with that decision.  That is why I am angry and when I spoke out against the pick I was shouted down by a large portion of people. 

Lastly, go get yourself a liter of cola, my anger was not and is not directed at you. Stop taking it personally, it's a little egotistical.

Also if they hadn't traded down the pick would have been even more of a disaster than it was. 

to be fair, your  responses regarding this issue can be a little pointed.  Just an outsiders point of view.  

Carry on gentlemen. and ladies. 

They shouldn't have taken a QB, he shouldn't have been "their guy" at all.  That is the point.  They reached, they reached hard.  They should have set up their board and graded EJ appropriately, if they, they would have graded him in the 3rd round or later but instead the brain trust graded him super duper high, they panicked when "rumors" surfaced another team wanted him and then they picked EJ ###### Manuel with a 1st round pick instead of drafting an impact player. They ###### up.  For that alone, I would fire anyone left who went along with that decision.  That is why I am angry and when I spoke out against the pick I was shouted down by a large portion of people. 

So, you are now agreeing w/ the point to which you initially said "keep telling yourself that?!?!" :huh:

And purely out of curiosity, how are we expected to know that when you type something such as "keep telling yourself that" that you aren't actually referring to whom you quoted? :unsure:

PS - please forgive one following indulgence, just having a little fun playing English language cop. Typically, one uses "lastly" to highlight one's FINAL point; he'd use "also" to highlight a separate thought, but not necessarily his final thought. :) We're here to help. ;)

So, you are now agreeing w/ the point to which you initially said "keep telling yourself that?!?!" :huh:

And purely out of curiosity, how are we expected to know that when you type something such as "keep telling yourself that" that you aren't actually referring to whom you quoted? :unsure:

PS - please forgive one following indulgence, just having a little fun playing English language cop. Typically, one uses "lastly" to highlight one's FINAL point; he'd use "also" to highlight a separate thought, but not necessarily his final thought. :) We're here to help. ;)

'Keep telling yourself' that was directed at you. My anger over the pick is not directed at you.

Also trading down made the pick slightly less than horrendous but only slightly.  'At least' is attempting to find a silver lining and in this case not much of one exists.

'Keep telling yourself' that was directed at you. My anger over the pick is not directed at you.Also trading down made the pick slightly less than horrendous but only slightly.  'At least' is attempting to find a silver lining and in this case not much of one exists.

So your reading comprehension is improving as we get later in the day. ;) :thumbsup:

First of all, Taro isn't making excuses so he can live with the Buffalo Bills' failures (in fact, I don't think you could find somebody more level-headed in their analysis of sports).  Nobody is doing that.  Lastly, the bolded is a very rage induced way of saying you disagreed with the pick (which you have stated before a few times).  Disagreeing with a draft pick is something that most fans get over the day after the draft.  The fact that you are still able to get it up over this particular issue is hilarious.  EJ will be fine.

Also, for context: the 8th overall

pick got us a 3rd string/cut QB and one of the most explosive RBs in the league.  I'll take that over a bust. Edited by immerman

If we're talking about bad draft picks, the Spiller pick remains a quadrillion times worse in both value and logic. Why not endlessly bitch about that one? At least with EJ they tried to fill the most important position on the team, and at the time, has zilch there.

Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson?  Poo, let's squander the #9 on a scatback that isn't ready for prime time.  Then, let's misuse him when he is ready for prime time.  And then let him walk for nothing.

Edited by immerman

2006 - (8) Dante Whitner

2007 - (12) Marshawn Lynch

2008 - (11) Leodis McKelvin

2009 - (11) Aaron Maybin

2010 - (9) CJ Spiller

2011 - (3) Marcel

2012 - (10) Stephon Gilmore

2013 - (8) Traded for (16) EJ Manuel and KIKO

2014 - (9) and 2015 (22) Traded for Sammy Watkins

2006-2010: DB, RB, DB, Bust, RB...  So silly.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.