Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Joe B is the least impartial member of the media when it comes to Manuel. He's held a steady drumbeat against EJ since the moment we selected him. 

I agree EJ is inaccurate, but I disagree that it can't be improved if the problem lies in something that is correctable. I feel in Manuel's case it is. Specifically, his lower body mechanics which break down too easily when he hurries too much in the pocket. And I think that's correctable with patience, which will come if he regains confidence and TRUSTS what he sees developing in front of him.

My question is, if EJ Manuel is inaccurate, what does that make Tyrod Taylor? When we last saw him play regularly, he was a train wreck of accuracy in college. Simply terrible. There's a lot to like about his athleticism, but that's not what gives QBs a long career.

GO BILLS!!!

you cant learn to be an accurate passer after the age of 10. by then its ingrained. yes he can learn to be less inaccurate--and if the playcalling is extremely limited then he can be a decent back-up in this league because of his size/running ability.

you cant learn to be an accurate passer after the age of 10. by then its ingrained. yes he can learn to be less inaccurate--and if the playcalling is extremely limited then he can be a decent back-up in this league because of his size/running ability.

I disagree for reasons already explained. 

Age 10? I'm afraid to ask where you pulled that number from. 

GO BILLS!!!

He could have done the honorable thing and moved to a new market in search of legitimate work after the fallout at WKBW.

Instead, he chose to sell out his journalistic integrity, whatever of that he had, and become a corporate spokesperson for the Bills.

To each his own.

Wat8.jpg

This is nonsense, it's like saying that you can never hit a baseball better, never shoot a basketball better, never improve your golf swing, etc, It's about the mechanics of how you do these things, which can all be improved. There is muscle memory which could be difficult to change after a person has done something the same for a long time, but it's not something that can't be changed or reconditioned.

I rarely post in this thread, but ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/michael-sam-nfl-s-1st-openly-gay-draftee-signs-with-cfl-s-montreal-alouettes-1.3083647

Not so much for the news, although it is good news, but for the why the heck do news sites feel the need to have his sexual preference in the headline still?

I rarely post in this thread, but ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/michael-sam-nfl-s-1st-openly-gay-draftee-signs-with-cfl-s-montreal-alouettes-1.3083647

Not so much for the news, although it is good news, but for the why the heck do news sites feel the need to have his sexual preference in the headline still?

Because, no matter how hard some want to act like it doesn't matter, it's important. What he did was definitely bold, brave and important. If a female were to play in the NFL would you have a problem with it being referenced in the headline the first time she signed with the CFL?

Because, no matter how hard some want to act like it doesn't matter, it's important. What he did was definitely bold, brave and important. If a female were to play in the NFL would you have a problem with it being referenced in the headline the first time she signed with the CFL?

I agree that it was very important and a bold step for him, but at some point don't we all need to move on with it and just have it be a normal thing.

I agree that it was very important and a bold step for him, but at some point don't we all need to move on with it and just have it be a normal thing.

Sure, it's probably going to be sometime around the time where they are assured basic civil rights with the rest of us and more than one or two openly gay players in the league. He just signed with the CFL. I'm sure it won't be in the headline if he gets another contract.

He could have done the honorable thing and moved to a new market in search of legitimate work after the fallout at WKBW.

Instead, he chose to sell out his journalistic integrity, whatever of that he had, and become a corporate spokesperson for the Bills.

To each his own.

You are either inaccurate or missing my point entirely, and I'm going with the latter.

He was a really good color guy.  He's just not a great play-by-play guy.

With the "corporate spokesperson" stuff, I think you mean his new stint on WGR from 7-9 or whatever.  That far, FAR post-dates his debut as the play-by-play man.  

I disagree for reasons already explained. 

Age 10? I'm afraid to ask where you pulled that number from. 

GO BILLS!!!

well 8 is more accurate...but I didn't want to upset anyone

This is nonsense, it's like saying that you can never hit a baseball better, never shoot a basketball better, never improve your golf swing, etc, It's about the mechanics of how you do these things, which can all be improved. There is muscle memory which could be difficult to change after a person has done something the same for a long time, but it's not something that can't be changed or reconditioned.

sports are learned very early on. ball skills being the main thing. you can learn to be a great LB or DE or OL. But some things have to be learned at a very young age.

Show me a pro tennis player who didn't start playing when they were practically toddlers

well 8 is more accurate...but I didn't want to upset anyone

sports are learned very early on. ball skills being the main thing. you can learn to be a great LB or DE or OL. But some things have to be learned at a very young age.

Show me a pro tennis player who didn't start playing when they were practically toddlers  

That's got nothing to do with being able to improve or change the way you learned to do something. You can always change, the way you threw a football at 10 years old is not going to be the same way you throw a football at 23 years old. You said you can't learn how to be an accurate passer after the age of 10 and I say that is ridiculous to think that is true.

That's got nothing to do with being able to improve or change the way you learned to do something. You can always change, the way you threw a football at 10 years old is not going to be the same way you throw a football at 23 years old. You said you can't learn how to be an accurate passer after the age of 10 and I say that is ridiculous to think that is true.

Brain develops over time and eventually reaches a capping point. If you haven't learned the proper mechanics at a some what early age, there will be little room for progression.

Brain develops over time and eventually reaches a capping point. If you haven't learned the proper mechanics at a some what early age, there will be little room for progression.

Again, for reasons already explained, I disagree. 

But taking EJ Manuel as a specific example, are you suggesting there is no hope for his mechanics to improve? And I ask this because in the scouting community, it's unanimous that his mechanics from the waist up are nearly flawless and not something you want to tinker with. But his lower body mechanics are a mess. So are you saying there is little room for progression for Manuel regarding his lower body mechanics? 

Think hard before you answer because virtually EVERY quarterback that enters the league nowadays has to master new lower body mechanics. It's amazing how screwed up their footwork is coming out of college. 

GO BILLS!!!

We needed to move on a long time ago. 

Here's a fun little experiment:  Google Image Search for "flashes of competence."  Anyone look familiar?

Norman Schwarzkopf? 

I wouldn't go as far to say there's no chance Manuel's mechanics permanently improve, but I think the chances are low. I can't even begin to name the number of QBs I've heard "just need to work on mechanics...it's all footwork and release point...it can be coached up" and yet I can name one that I've actually seen it happen: Aaron Rodgers. I honestly cannot name another QB who had mechanics issues early in their NFL career who went on to fix them. 

And yes, I still think Manuel is a better option than Cassel...whatever that means :lol:

Bills awarded Matt Simms off waivers, release Jeff Tuel

Interesting. I always thought he deserved a chance with the Jets. He couldn't have been worse than Geno and even Vick last year.

Sorry to see Tuel gone, though I know his time was pretty much up. I might be the only one to miss him, though.

This guy breaks down all of EJ's game last season. He's pretty biased, but he does provide some good angles to view the play. It becomes very clear that although EJ definitely has faults, our line was absolutely terrible last season. It's also become very clear that Hackett tried to make up for the line play with run-heavy plays that were meant to open up the play-action and screens. After awhile this doesn't work, and every short play-action/screen is sniffed out very quickly by the opposing team. 

Here's game 1, FWIW

Edited by WildCard

This LeSean McCoy-Chip Kelly stuff is pretty embarrassing.

For those unfamiliar with what happened... Worst and most disgraceful reporter in sports (Stephen A. Smith) claimed that Chip Kelly was a racist when he traded McCoy. McCoy echoed the thought in an interview where he said like 20 stupid things. Now McCoy got asked about it and said he won't talk about it anymore and threatened to walk away when another question came up about it.

Look, you said something that could be damaging to a professional in your field but are just going to leave it at that? I haven't liked anything McCoy has said since coming here. I hate the "shut up and play" crowd but... Shut up and play.

This LeSean McCoy-Chip Kelly stuff is pretty embarrassing.

For those unfamiliar with what happened... Worst and most disgraceful reporter in sports (Stephen A. Smith) claimed that Chip Kelly was a racist when he traded McCoy. McCoy echoed the thought in an interview where he said like 20 stupid things. Now McCoy got asked about it and said he won't talk about it anymore and threatened to walk away when another question came up about it.

Look, you said something that could be damaging to a professional in your field but are just going to leave it at that? I haven't liked anything McCoy has said since coming here. I hate the "shut up and play" crowd but... Shut up and play.

Well, it seems likely that McCoy realized that he said something stupid and simply doesn't want to repeat it -- but also doesn't want to retract it or apologize to Kelly b/c he's still PO'd about being dumped by Philly.  Not the best reaction, but kinda understandable and definitely better than continuing the race-baiting BS.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.