Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Anyone else see the tweet that Goodell contract is for 7 years at 308 million!!!

@walsha: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is currently on a 7 year, $308 million contract. According to NFL filings, he made $44M last year.

What's frightening is that it's in line with what other CEOs of giant corporations are paid:  http://www.aflcio.org/Corporate-Watch/Paywatch-2014/100-Highest-Paid-CEOs

no longer need to disclose their finances.

I'm guessing that move is about some form of protection against all the concussion law suits to come?

And so congress stops threatening to pull their status if they don't force the Washington ###### to change their name.

Goodell will hear the Brady appeal despite publicly signing off on the discipline previously and the Pats asking him to step away from the appeal process in this case... This stinks of Goodell preparing to lessen or completely erase Brady's suspension. He can claim that, while he signed off on it, he disagreed with the discipline handed down by Vincent since Roger's name wasn't on the head of the letters as well as possibly getting Kraft to back off on any potential lawsuits.

Goodell will hear the Brady appeal despite publicly signing off on the discipline previously and the Pats asking him to step away from the appeal process in this case... This stinks of Goodell preparing to lessen or completely erase Brady's suspension. He can claim that, while he signed off on it, he disagreed with the discipline handed down by Vincent since Roger's name wasn't on the head of the letters as well as possibly getting Kraft to back off on any potential lawsuits.

The potential for them to press a lawsuit evaporated the minute they posted their 20k word diatribe of a response to the Wells report. Nobody thinking about bringing a lawsuit outlines their entire case online for everyone to analyze. It's too bad, too because I was hoping they would be dumb enough to bring a lawsuit against the league.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The potential for them to press a lawsuit evaporated the minute they posted their 20k diatribe of a response to the Wells report. Nobody thinking about bringing a lawsuit outlines their entire case online for everyone to analyze. It's too bad, too because I was hoping they would be dumb enough to bring a lawsuit against the league.

GO BILLS!!!

I've already seen this being argued on social media. It makes sense, but we'll see.

Well CEO's do a lot more work than their free loading 8$ an hour employees who just want more money for being lazy... #sarcasm

Maybe not, but their decisions can have multi-million $ effects on the company's bottom line.   Bob flipping burgers?  Not so much (other than doing something that bring a seven-figure lawsuit against the company.)  The NFL generates ~$10 Billion in revenue; if you had a company pulling in $10 Million in revenue, would you question paying the CEO $44,000 a year?  (The answer is yes, but not because it is too high.)  #devilsadvocate

(Note: don't get me wrong, there are plenty of issues with golden parachutes and cronyism, which lead to overpaid CEO's who take undue risks.  However, paying the guy/gal at the top a lot isn't about how hard they work ... though, most work much, much more than 40 hours/week.)

Edited by carpandean

I'm almost certainly setting myself up for disappointment, but my initial take on this was 180 degrees opposite. I think Goodell is fed up with the Patriots arrogance, the ridiculous Super Bowl press conferences, the now official rebuttal insulting our collective intelligence, and just the overall approach to this entire matter. I think Goodell is personally taking the appeal so he can make sure there is no meaningful reduction in penalty.

I'm almost certainly setting myself up for disappointment, but my initial take on this was 180 degrees opposite. I think Goodell is fed up with the Patriots arrogance, the ridiculous Super Bowl press conferences, the now official rebuttal insulting our collective intelligence, and just the overall approach to this entire matter. I think Goodell is personally taking the appeal so he can make sure there is no meaningful reduction in penalty.

Agreed.  They swept spygate under the rug and now they've cheated again, embarrassed the league and are being defiant.  Goodell has to be furious.

There's a chance that Goodell is looking to make nice, as another speculated, but I agree with the idea that Goodell must be in an absolute lather over this. You don't become a $40+ million executive without having a massive (MASSIVE) ego. I am betting he wants to make personally sure that the appeal is procedurally airtight so that there's no basis for attacking the thing in court.

We are talking about deflated footballs. :wallbash:

In part, yes.

I think we are more so talking about bald-faced lies, deception, and the frustration of an investigative process.

There's a chance that Goodell is looking to make nice, as another speculated, but I agree with the idea that Goodell must be in an absolute lather over this. You don't become a $40+ million executive without having a massive (MASSIVE) ego. I am betting he wants to make personally sure that the appeal is procedurally airtight so that there's no basis for attacking the thing in court.

Or ... or ... is Goodell setting this up to be taken out of his hands entirely? I read a post moments ago to the effect that the NFLPA is objecting to him as the appellate authority because he'll be a witness. (It is weird that appeals involve the submission of new evidence, btw.)

I'm open to the idea that Goodell wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Edited by That Aud Smell

If I were a New England fan, I would be absolutely furious with the team right now.

No. If you were a New England fan you'd be jumping right on the bandwagon. You'd be one hundred percent on your team's side and you'd believe everything they say.

No. If you were a New England fan you'd be jumping right on the bandwagon. You'd be one hundred percent on your team's side and you'd believe everything they say.

This is why he's not a New England fan. He can think for himself.

Yeah, some of the defensive posts I've seen on the subject... got me a big ol' bucket of popcorn. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.