Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

I can't die until we win a cup.

Strong words! Even a modern Methuselah could die before the Sabres win the Cup. LOL

If only we had a working time machine so we could check.... Bills for a Super Bowl win, and Sabres for a Cup win.

25% of the cap in 2 guys.

And totally worth it.

With the cap expected to be around $75M, next year, it should be closer to 28% of the cap in the first year, but still well worth it. The Blackhawks are proving that you can keep your stars and still compete for the Cup.

While four lines is the way everyone is going its really about 5 to 7 stars, 4 forwards, 2 defenseman and a decent goalie. Managing the rest of the roster is just a matter of being to identify talent, get value added contracts and knowing when to move those assets for other assets or promote them for one of your top 6.

Strong words! Even a modern Methuselah could die before the Sabres win the Cup. LOL

If only we had a working time machine so we could check.... Bills for a Super Bowl win, and Sabres for a Cup win.

I've considered this.....once I hit 85 I might not want them to win one. It would spell the end.

With the cap expected to be around $75M, next year, it should be closer to 28% of the cap in the first year, but still well worth it. The Blackhawks are proving that you can keep your stars and still compete for the Cup.

While four lines is the way everyone is going its really about 5 to 7 stars, 4 forwards, 2 defenseman and a decent goalie. Managing the rest of the roster is just a matter of being to identify talent, get value added contracts and knowing when to move those assets for other assets or promote them for one of your top 6.

? link

Their GM is named after the ###### Stanley Cup.

And he's got the pedigree.

And he went to Notre Dame.

They are the model post-lockout franchise.

25% of the cap in 2 guys.

And totally worth it.

I'll definitely be tuned-in to see how it works out for them over the next 5 years. Do their cap hits increase in as contract ages?

Edit: never mind. Front loaded. Good for all parties.

Edited by kas23

I'll definitely be tuned-in to see how it works out for them over the next 5 years. Do their cap hits increase in as contract ages?

Edit: never mind. Front loaded. Good for all parties.

The cap hit never changes regardless of how the contract is structured. The cap hit in every season is the average salary over the life of the entire contract.

Jeremy Rutherford@jprutherford 23s

#stlblues have re-signed Steve Ott to a two-year extension worth $5.2 million

That seems like a good deal for St. Louis.

As far as Ott and Buffalo, I'm guessing this wasn't about money here.

For context, Mezarros gets 4 million for one season. Ott was certainly affordable.

Murray must have been telling it like it was. Ott just wasn't in his plan.

That seems like a good deal for St. Louis.

As far as Ott and Buffalo, I'm guessing this wasn't about money here.

For context, Mezarros gets 4 million for one season. Ott was certainly affordable.

Murray must have been telling it like it was. Ott just wasn't in his plan.

It could have just been the pieces not falling into place with trades and whatnot, and deadlines from other offers. We'll probably never know.

For instance, STL offers what they did to Ott, with July 10 being the day that offer is taken off the table. Ott is waiting on Murray if there's some trade in the works. Since that trade hasn't happened Ott tells Murray he needs to take STL's offer. It's just like any other job interview process.

Can we definitively say that at this point? Currently Kane a Toews make a respectable $6.3M but certainly not anything that will break the bank. The new contracts are incredibly rich. They've been able to achieve what you stated up to this point but I really wonder how they will do in the future.

Frankly, I am waiting to see if teams like the Ducks and Blackhawks get handcuffed by these contracts. You don't expect players like Getzlaf, Perry, Kane, and Toews to decline too much but it's hard to say. Even then, can you afford enough talent around those two to make it work. You might get lucky with some of the young guys you bring in but eventually there won't be money available for them.

It may be the cap keeps going up and eliminates that concern per se, but I'll be curious to see how it plays out before I call them a model. Up to this point I would definitely call them a model however.

Sad to lose Otter but happy to see he gets to be on a contender. At least now I don't have to figure out a way for Ott to fit in the lineup which was next to impossible barring a massive trade.

I wonder if this ends Weber's tenure here to? Not this season but in the future.

Can we definitively say that at this point? Currently Kane a Toews make a respectable $6.3M but certainly not anything that will break the bank. The new contracts are incredibly rich. They've been able to achieve what you stated up to this point but I really wonder how they will do in the future.

Frankly, I am waiting to see if teams like the Ducks and Blackhawks get handcuffed by these contracts. You don't expect players like Getzlaf, Perry, Kane, and Toews to decline too much but it's hard to say. Even then, can you afford enough talent around those two to make it work. You might get lucky with some of the young guys you bring in but eventually there won't be money available for them.

It may be the cap keeps going up and eliminates that concern per se, but I'll be curious to see how it plays out before I call them a model. Up to this point I would definitely call them a model however.

Well the first year Kane and Toews current contracts went into effect, they ate 21% of the cap. If the cap hits $75M next year, they'll be eating 28%. Seems perfectly manageable to me, especially since the only big salary increase they're due to be on the hook for soon is Saad--every other key piece is locked up already for several years at least.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.