Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

They offered Sobotka $1.4 million...idiots

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-daddy/vladimir-sobotka-leaves-blues-for-khl--maligned-steve-ott-back-as-plan-b-162438546.html

This implies they offered him $3M+. The $1.4M (I assume) was the qualifying offer to retain his rights into the summer.

(Also: Petr Svoboda sighting, I guess Sobotka liked the sound of his name. :))

Murray said publically that Ott was not in his plan because Ott had already told him privately that Buffalo was not in his.
I don't recall ever hearing that.

Nor I. On the contrary, I heard him allow for Ott as a possibility for the team, depending on how other potential moves shook out (or didn't).

Can we definitively say that at this point? Currently Kane a Toews make a respectable $6.3M but certainly not anything that will break the bank. The new contracts are incredibly rich. They've been able to achieve what you stated up to this point but I really wonder how they will do in the future.

Frankly, I am waiting to see if teams like the Ducks and Blackhawks get handcuffed by these contracts. You don't expect players like Getzlaf, Perry, Kane, and Toews to decline too much but it's hard to say. Even then, can you afford enough talent around those two to make it work. You might get lucky with some of the young guys you bring in but eventually there won't be money available for them.

It may be the cap keeps going up and eliminates that concern per se, but I'll be curious to see how it plays out before I call them a model. Up to this point I would definitely call them a model however.

I understand where you are coming from but ever since Andy Messersmith signed the first uber rich free agent deal I have been hearing how free agency would end pro sports as we know it. When salary caps were established, the next battle cry, championed by LQ, was how teams would implode with all these rich contracts and the smart teams would be waiting in the weeds to scoop up all these players that teams could no longer afford.

Still waiting.....

I understand where you are coming from but ever since Andy Messersmith signed the first uber rich free agent deal I have been hearing how free agency would end pro sports as we know it. When salary caps were established, the next battle cry, championed by LQ, was how teams would implode with all these rich contracts and the smart teams would be waiting in the weeds to scoop up all these players that teams could no longer afford.

Still waiting.....

:wub:

Well the first year Kane and Toews current contracts went into effect, they ate 21% of the cap. If the cap hits $75M next year, they'll be eating 28%. Seems perfectly manageable to me, especially since the only big salary increase they're due to be on the hook for soon is Saad--every other key piece is locked up already for several years at least.

Good points. I'm certainly not trying to insinuate it can't be done. I'm curious if a team will get handcuffed at some point.

Still waiting.....

Agreed. Teams have jettisoned players they couldn't afford but it's usually done before they hit free agency. I don't know otherwise, but I would think the Ducks moved Bobby Ryan because they wanted Perry and Getzlaf locked up. So move Ryan because he'd demand a high salary as well and get back some pieces to work with.

The Blackhawks have to move someone. They are over the cap right now. It has been rumored they are going to move Sharp. So, they would be giving up some talent at this point even though the Toews and Kane salaries don't hit the book until the year after.

It really depends on the cap growth rate right? Before this recent change it used to grow about $5m/year. That is fair amount to sign a player. However, back then players upper salaries were $7-$8m. The $10M salary sets a new level and I think the more skilled players will be pushing for $6-7 ranges which could pose a problem if the cap only grows at a $5m/year pace.

The Red Wings are widely and commonly held out as a model franchise.

Check out the comment (and embedded message board hearsay) left on the Deadspin write-up on the Cleary signing (of which I was unaware, and was specifically unaware that it's sort of an odd deal): http://deadspin.com/...upid-1603671213

As a once-a-lot-more-loyal-than-I-am-now Red Wings fan, it's sort of like what I imagine watching someone go senile is like. From the outside looking in, I can't fathom why on earth Ken Holland would make the moves that he has.

And maybe it's only worth a grain of salt, but I also read this on a Red Wings fan forum earlier:

"I called and canceled my half-season ticket plan yesterday over voice mail as well as gave my great displeasure, directly but professionally, over the mismanagement and lack of professionalism of this organization.

I actually received a follow up this morning from the head of ticket services telling me, 'If you don't believe in the vision or management style of the best GM in sports, perhaps you might think about following another team.'"

Edited by That Aud Smell

The Red Wings are widely and commonly held out as a model franchise.

Check out the comment (and embedded message board hearsay) left on the Deadspin write-up on the Cleary signing (of which I was unaware, and was specifically unaware that it's sort of an odd deal): http://deadspin.com/...upid-1603671213

As a once-a-lot-more-loyal-than-I-am-now Red Wings fan, it's sort of like what I imagine watching someone go senile is like. From the outside looking in, I can't fathom why on earth Ken Holland would make the moves that he has.

And maybe it's only worth a grain of salt, but I also read this on a Red Wings fan forum earlier:

"I called and canceled my half-season ticket plan yesterday over voice mail as well as gave my great displeasure, directly but professionally, over the mismanagement and lack of professionalism of this organization.

I actually received a follow up this morning from the head of ticket services telling me, 'If you don't believe in the vision or management style of the best GM in sports, perhaps you might think about following another team.'"

Detroit translation:

"Oh, you don't like that we've made the playoffs every year for the last 2 decades? Ok, go ###### yourself!"

Not sure where to put this, but Zenon Konopka is captaining Team USA in some weird-ass tournament in Perth: http://www.perthnow....e8209d6df9f026d

Weird.

He is only able to play this series because it is outside the jurisdiction of the NHL where he copped a 20-game ban in May when he tested positive for a prohibited substance contained in an over-the-counter item he unwittingly purchased.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.