Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

Devine was sitting in row one and Murray said his first job was to talk to Devine and get acquainted with the scouting department.

He also complimented the organization on the quality of its prospects.

I suppose the meeting could have been to put Kevin on notice, but I think it was more about "let's get down to work."

I did catch that, but I think the comment seemed to indicate he views Devine more as a head scout than an assistant GM.

All in all....this would have been a great day 3 years ago, but at least it shows that a learning curve and commitment is involved with ownership. As far as future results go....the meshing should get you to a B+. I don't know if PLF can provide the comic relief to keep Murray loose enough....but if he can, then maybe you have a shot at an A. I can't see this being a disaster however.

This is where I'm (still) at. I think a lot of us "Team Stormcloud" folks turned a corner when Regier was fired and PLF was brought it. To me, these moves today just about cement the fact that we can trust Pegula as an owner...even if he's a little slow on the uptake.

Doesn't it?

Good: We should build a hotel and a parking garage across the street.

Better: With a bar to watch games.

Pegula: WITH TWO ###### ICE RINKS ON TOP!

Good: We should replace our head coach and GM.

Better: With some good honest names in Sabres history, like LaFontaine and Nolan.

Pegula: AND THAT GUY FROM MIRACLE!

oh, bravo

Man, LaFontaine has really transformed our hockey department into arguably the best in hockey. Craig Patrick is a huge addition.

I hope so, but there is (arguably) no evidence to support your claim at this point.

The question I wish one of the "reporters" would have asked Lafontaine is, " What did you learn about your team, the Sabres, when you interviewed all these people from outside the organization?" I think this could be significant to Lafontaine since he could get an objective view of the Sabres from the candidates. During the days when Al Davis (owner and GM of the Raiders) was coherent and competitive in the NFL he would interview coaching candidates from other teams in his division to find out what he thought were the strengths and weaknesses of his team. He would then use that intelligence to improve his team. I wonder if Lafontaine learned anything about his team going through this process..

I am having a hard time getting multi-quote running, but Dudacek said it well....thanks to Taro for the Holy Trinity reference, and Jo has Murray nailed in my opinion.

This is a pretty positive day. For those that wanted guys outside of the Sabres to come in....check. I figured Dudley and Botterill were a good combo given the propensity to hire old Sabres. Patrick and Murray bring the exact same skill and people set, but in a different combo. You have the guy that has been around and has seen it all, and has plenty of contacts. You have a guy who is a workhorse and wants no part of the limelight, and who eats sleeps and breathes hockey and evaluation.

When I see Tim Murray, I see a mini-me of John Butler from the Bills. Butler was more smiley with the media and fans, but make no mistake...when the cameras were off, he was in the office smoking a carton of Marlboros and eating a bucket of wings while pouring over every little detail of the player evaluation game. He was gruff, but had a huge heart and wanted nothing more than to be right and have a champion.

I think a major concern has been resolved. If anyone is worried Pegula may want to meddle...Murray does not seem to have the social skills to allow that. He was smart enough to throw a "We want to be positive" in there in the press conference, but I think Patty gave him the briefing and between those 2 guys..there will be no Dan Snyderesque interference.

It was also great to hear Patrick wanted in because of PLF. Who knows..he may have been on the table 3 years ago, but now that Pegula has seen what "I can work with him" gets you....everyone has a better understanding of what needs to be done to build a winner. I also saw a bit of a Patty smile when they were asked if they knew each other was coming on board.....it's that "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" that a guy with the charm and ability PLF has can pull off. The good news is Patrick is probably more than willing to be the advisor and Murray the workhorse. That's why this should work.

My guess is that Murray does have other coaches in mind, but understands the situation here and is fine with Nolan given the track record. It also sounds like he was briefed Miller probably wants out and it's his job to get a decent return if possible. By having Devine at the presser, it's also a vote of confidence in the nearterm as Murray needs his input on who is in the pipeline if moves are made.

All in all....this would have been a great day 3 years ago, but at least it shows that a learning curve and commitment is involved with ownership. As far as future results go....the meshing should get you to a B+. I don't know if PLF can provide the comic relief to keep Murray loose enough....but if he can, then maybe you have a shot at an A. I can't see this being a disaster however.

WTF.....I need a drink......

Good stuff. I agree especially with the bolded parts.

I am aware of the reputation of hockeybuzz. I was just intrigued that the name sounded familiar. It's possible that he got that job once Garth went from Sabres blogger to a NHL general role... EDIT: Looks like it is the same guy I was thinking of. Small world. Sucks he's working for such a unreliable website...

kevin is a good blogger, I read him regularly. He should start his own website, I am sure he knows a couple writers who would contribute

Let's hope that we have better success than the Redskins and Cowboys in the recent past. Not sure if the open checkbook owner has always been a good thing

I still expect (& today gives some justification) that TP has far more Illitch in him than Dan Snyder.

The thing that I am most interested in is finding out if Nolan can (hopefully sooner rather than later) be effective w/ talented players throughout the team rather than just be effective w/ grinders & kids and little established talent. Hopefully he can; if not, CP's fired some good coaches through the years, so whenever TN's tenure should run its course, I expect it will.

So Murray believes in building through the draft and not making any panic moves, yet understands the need to make moves and spend money when the time is right. LaFontaine continuing to preach patience in his after-presser interview...and standing in the shadows is the guy who oversaw the mother of all tanks. I'm in!

An interesting tidbit I picked up from one of LaFontaine's interviews is he learned during the process that most teams have a three man group making the decisions, be it Pres-GM-AGM or GM with two assistants. Seems to me Patrick wasn't part of the original plan, but brought into the fold once LaFontaine learned from other organizations. Adaptability, I like it.

Doesn't it?

Good: We should build a hotel and a parking garage across the street.

Better: With a bar to watch games.

Pegula: WITH TWO ###### ICE RINKS ON TOP!

Good: We should replace our head coach and GM.

Better: With some good honest names in Sabres history, like LaFontaine and Nolan.

Pegula: AND THAT GUY FROM MIRACLE!

This made me smile. I never lost faith in TPegs. Just felt he didnt' know enough hockey ppl when he bought the team and therefore made the wrong choice to stick with Darcy. I think he's learned his lesson and look at our front office right now, wow. Look, it's still going to take a couple of years to get the on ice product turned around but boy does the future look bright. Long live Tpegs!!!!!

He is the Sabres Blogger on hockeybuzz.com AKA Hockey Lies And Crap (named that only because of the guy who owns it Ecklund who is wrong on his rumors appx 97%of the time)

I don't read hockeybuzz.com but I see his name on a lot of articles at sabreshockeycentral.com. I think he started that site.

Edited by Campy

Good moves. Three years late in coming, but good moves. I feel like now we have a fighting chance. I can't get where some of you have gotten in terms of some kind of inevitability of success, but I'm not pessimistic, either.

Kudos to Terry. Of course what I also need to see is that he's learned his lesson about meddling. I suspect he has. I also suspect that the first time he picks up the phone and tells Murray that he saw this kid in the playoffs who can really skate, and go get 'em, it'll be the last time.

I'll say it again ...

The best thing to happen in Sabreland since our first draft pick ever.

And, I will not calm down.

Better than making the finals in five seasons? Landing Bowman? Trading for Dom? 99? The Butt Goal? Stafford bending over in the fur coat?

Good moves.

nice to see you give props to TP.

Three years late in coming, but good moves.

and i would've been disappointed had you failed to put a little stank on what went down.

I can't get where some of you have gotten in terms of some kind of inevitability of success, but I'm not pessimistic, either.

man - ain't nothing inevitable, but death and taxes.

Of course what I also need to see is that he's learned his lesson about meddling. I suspect he has. I also suspect that the first time he picks up the phone and tells Murray that he saw this kid in the playoffs who can really skate, and go get 'em, it'll be the last time.

re-remind me: did he in fact do that when DR was here?

I'll say it again ...

The best thing to happen in Sabreland since our first draft pick ever.

And, I will not calm down.

Murray seems like a good fit, I'm pleased with that hire. But I'm not so sure Patrick isn't past his prime. Yes, he's in the Hall, and yes, hockey people have heard his name. And yes, hopefully I'll be proven wrong because I just don't see him being anything close to a saviour.

Tim Murray seems like a great hire. I also like the fact that he seems like a no nonsense guy who will not put up with the BS from the Buffalo News guys. He has been groomed for this day his entire life.

As an aside, except for Paul Hamilton, Tim Graham, and John W, most of the guys who cover the Bills and Sabres are horrible. To think how far the quality of the Buffalo News has gone down since guys like Jim Kelley and Vic Carucci. Bucky, Sully, and Bucky/Sully protégé Harrington are horrible.

I also absolutely love the Craig Patrick hire. Great addition to the Sabres. Miracle in Buffalo.

You would have loved Dick Johnston, from the Buffalo Evening News, and Charley Barton, from the Buffalo Courier Express. Now, there were some hockey writers!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.