Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

So TM talks about making bold moves. I have only done a cursory scan on his credentials. What exactly has he won or done in his career to back up such talk?

Hopefully he doesn't wait for the market to set itself. Ala Regier. Go for it Tim. Set it yourself.

Edited by bunomatic

Well, maybe it's because TPegs expressed a desire to emulate the Red Wings when he bought the team.

He did. But saying you want to emulate an organization and then actually walking that talk don't necessarily go hand in hand. And, just because the organization is well run, doesn't preclude the owner from being a d-bag. (e.g. late '90's Yankees / Steinbrenner)

So TM talks about making bold moves. I have only done a cursory scan on his credentials. What exactly has he won or done in his career to back up such talk?

TM has never been in position to really make bold moves as it has never been his call. It's like getting mad at a player for not scoring a goal when he hasn't played a game yet. Have to put him in the position to do so first.

The Bobby Ryan example is the main and basically the only one that can be used to show what type of bold move he might look for, considering he was probably a big part of bringing him to Ottawa.

I am so excited, and I know my Father is partying tonight...up in heaven. <3

My Pops passed away on June 18th, 2008...just shortly before the Sabres drafted Tyler Myers and Tyler Ennis. (My name is Tyler)

My Father was a business man, he lived in Pennsylvania, he loved Penn State...his name was Terry, he is buried in his Sabres attire.

I believe it is destined to happen...and I believe the odds got that much better today, and we are on our way! And when it happens, I will cry my eyes out...as it will be the most bitter-sweet moment of my entire life. (Some of my Father's last words to me were about how he could not stop thinking about how he would never get to see the Sabres play for a Cup, let alone another game, at all.)

But, I know he is watching now... ;)

Wonderful post. Thank you for sharing.

###### I'm actually really excited, might still be all the gin tonics i had last night but the culture change PLF has brought to the sabres in two months.

He has made it so that people actually want to be working for the sabres.

The statement from PLF that stood out to me is that he wants to bring in players from the area.

Does this mean they'll be going after Callahan in the summer, and kane in a couple of summers ?

Edited by Heimdall

Murray's interview on WGR has posted to the on demand page.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/85962030/1-10-tim-murray-joins-wgr.htm

Between 3:00-4:00, he mentioned the role of "suffering." when DR said it, he wasn't wrong - he just didn't have the capital with the fans to use the term.

~8:00 says that the market for Miller (or any pending UFA #1 goalie) is, at present, a soft one.

Edited by That Aud Smell

http://audio.wgr550....y-joins-wgr.htm

Between 3:00-4:00, he mentioned the role of "suffering." when DR said it, he wasn't wrong - he just didn't have the capital with the fans to use the term.

~8:00 says that the market for Miller (or any pending UFA #1 goalie) is, at present, a soft one.

Yep. PLF's "patience" = DR's "suffering"

http://audio.wgr550....y-joins-wgr.htm

On "suffering," very intelligent observation.

On Miller, he's right. That's the problem with trading Miller.

On "suffering," very intelligent observation.

On Miller, he's right. That's the problem with trading Miller.

Which is why I think he stays. If he sees that there aren't any teams out there who want to take him on as a rental, then he is going to be choosing to either re-sign or test free agency. I really really really don't want to let him go to FA.

Which is why I think he stays. If he sees that there aren't any teams out there who want to take him on as a rental, then he is going to be choosing to either re-sign or test free agency. I really really really don't want to let him go to FA.

I'm sure murray will get what he can for him, but it might not be as much as most expect.

I'm sure murray will get what he can for him, but it might not be as much as most expect.

Gotta remember that Miller has to provide a list of teams he doesn't want to be traded to. That limits our options as far as moving him. The best deal might not be a team Miller wants to go to.

Gotta remember that Miller has to provide a list of teams he doesn't want to be traded to. That limits our options as far as moving him. The best deal might not be a team Miller wants to go to.

I'd imagine the type of teams Miller wouldn't want to go to are not the type of teams that would be renting a goalie anyway.

I'd imagine the type of teams Miller wouldn't want to go to are not the type of teams that would be renting a goalie anyway.

We just don't know that though. There's a few teams out west that might want him, but they don't have much to spare in return. Minnesota isn't getting the offense it needs so they aren't going to give up more of it. Nashville isn't scoring goals either. I don't see either team going deep in the playoffs anyway.

Then you come back East. The only team there that might have some interesting return for us is Detroit. Lot's of good young kids on their team right now due to injuries and retirements and their goaltending hasn't been too good this year. Miller makes them a better team, but do we want to make a move in-division? Does Detroit want to throw in the towel on Howard and Gustavsson? Philly might want Miller, but are they really built for a deep playoff run? I'm not sure. They're probably happy with Mason anyway knowing that team. No one else in the East really needs a goalie as much as they need scoring talent.

I think Miller is going to look at the teams out there he'd want to play for as a rental and realize that none of them need a goalie anyway.

It really begs the following question: what if Miller won't sign an extension before the deadline and the best they can get for him is a 2nd-rounder from a contender (i.e. a low 2nd-rounder)? Would you rather keep him for the rest of the year and try to re-sign him at the end of the season, which risks him leaving for zero return?

By, say, July 10, he and the team will know what's happened in the draft, which FAs they've brought in, any other moves, general direction of the franchise, and, most importantly, what Miller's options are in terms of cash and location.

I'm not sure what I would do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.