Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

Guhle, Ullmark, Asplund, Bailey, Baptiste, CJ Smith, Casey Nelson, Pu, Borgen, Olofsson, etc..

His drafts and undrafted FA signings weren't terrible... there's probably at least 5 future significant NHL players in that group... and none of them 1st round picks.   That's pretty good over a 3 year period. 

Edit: OK, not all of those guys were drafted/signed by TM, but I'm too lazy to look them all up.

Edited by pi2000

As I look back on things... I wonder how much influence Patrick had on the entire process. 

Interesting history note if you begin looking at it.  Patrick of course was the GM in Pittsburgh.  He then worked with Sawyer and then ultimately for Sawyer and was not renewed by Sawyer.  He ends up in Buffalo and of course Sawyer is a consultant to Pegula (just as he was to Lemieux).  

The Pittsburgh ties are mind boggling.. and I wonder how much the Sabres suffered through some different factions from the Pittsburgh days as they sorted through their front office items.

Of course it's still on going...

As I look back on things... I wonder how much influence Patrick had on the entire process. 

Interesting history note if you begin looking at it.  Patrick of course was the GM in Pittsburgh.  He then worked with Sawyer and then ultimately for Sawyer and was not renewed by Sawyer.  He ends up in Buffalo and of course Sawyer is a consultant to Pegula (just as he was to Lemieux).  

The Pittsburgh ties are mind boggling.. and I wonder how much the Sabres suffered through some different factions from the Pittsburgh days as they sorted through their front office items.

Of course it's still on going...

Don't forget Ted Black, who was hired by Sawyer in Pittsburgh, then hired Sawyer in Buffalo. And the man who begat it all, Cliff Benson, accountant for the Pens and Terry's buddy. And Sid Pegula. Yup, we have no idea how to put together a winning franchise, so we'll just copy Pittsburgh. That should work. No? Then try to win the McDavid sweepstakes. No? Copy Pittsburgh again.

Don't forget Ted Black, who was hired by Sawyer in Pittsburgh, then hired Sawyer in Buffalo. And the man who begat it all, Cliff Benson, accountant for the Pens and Terry's buddy. And Sid Pegula. Yup, we have no idea how to put together a winning franchise, so we'll just copy Pittsburgh. That should work. No? Then try to win the McDavid sweepstakes. No? Copy Pittsburgh again.

Why do you follow a team owned by people you seem to have no use for and a team supposedly patterned after a team you think no more of.

Why do you follow a team owned by people you seem to have no use for and a team supposedly patterned after a team you think no more of.

Why should owners matter in what team someone follows? Root for the laundry, no?

Well, I think it's more than just copying Pittsburgh.  I think there are factions inside that group that helped cause problems.  Enter in Russ Brandon who is not part of that group and it only exacerbates the issue.

It would seem that a lot of that riff raff has settled out at this point so it might actually pave the way for a greater stability in the front office.

Incredible at scouting, outstanding at drafting , acquired O'Rielly, aptly skillful at 'accidentally' tanking.

But overall, a train-wreck at asset management.

B-

If he had another GM job I'm sure that he'd learn his lesson, and would probably be a great GM.

There isn't really evidence of this here during his tenure.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.