Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

Murray is GM. Thoughts?

I'm waiting on the Grumpy Dwarf memes.

Not because he's short. But because he's apparently famously grumpy.

Vogl got a quote to that effect, and Google yielded this Sens blog from the 2011 draft:

http://www.blackacesottawa.com/2011/06/sens-draft-new-first-line.html

But no, what fascinated me was the strange behaviour of Senators assistant GM Tim Murray, who looked like the pressure of draft week had finally snapped something crucial in his mind.

Not normally a pleasant fellow, Murray strode the stage for the first pick and without any pleasantries that is the norm for these things, went right ahead and picked Zibanejad in as few syllables possible. No congratulating Boston. No thanking the fans in Ottawa or Minnesota. No smiling.

Fair enough. Murray is all business all the time and as Dean Brown said on the Team 1200 the other day, he doesn't feed reporters crap and he doesn't take any either. God bless him. We can all appreciate a man like that, because they're so completely rare as to seem like aliens.

Then he was back at the microphone to pick Noesen but he could barely bring himself to spit out the words before pulling away from the microphone and scowling all the way back over to the line of scouts waiting for the kid to make his way from the stands.It was a bravura performance, borderline disrespectful, and completely dismissive of the demands of television. I've been watching NHL drafts since at least 1992 and I've never seen someone so pissed off and curmudgeonly, and I've watched the all-time greats likeBobby Clarke and Harry Sinden mumble their way through many a pick, mangling names and grinding their teeth.

Somebody must have talked to Tim before the Senators third pick, maybe his media savvy uncle, because when he went to the microphone to pick Puempel, he was like Mr. Rogers all of a sudden, thanking everybody in sight, smiling and generally acting likeAlan Thicke at a banquet.

I will say this: Tim Murray is a hell of a hockey department guy. He's just as responsible as his uncle for rebuilding the Senators farm team and watching them win an AHL championship. But you can see why he's going to have some limitations if he wants to be a GM in the NHL. There's just no Hollywood in him.

You have to wonder why the Senators would send him out to represent the team on television. It's a bit like being the Gambino crime family but instead of the "Dapper Don" John Gotti meeting the press, you send out Sammy "The Bull" Gravanoand inevitably a cameraman gets tossed to the pavemen

I'm waiting on the Grumpy Dwarf memes.

Not because he's short. But because he's apparently famously grumpy.

Vogl got a quote to that effect, and Google yielded this Sens blog from the 2011 draft:

http://www.blackaces...first-line.html

But no, what fascinated me was the strange behaviour of Senators assistant GM Tim Murray, who looked like the pressure of draft week had finally snapped something crucial in his mind.

Not normally a pleasant fellow, Murray strode the stage for the first pick and without any pleasantries that is the norm for these things, went right ahead and picked Zibanejad in as few syllables possible. No congratulating Boston. No thanking the fans in Ottawa or Minnesota. No smiling.

Fair enough. Murray is all business all the time and as Dean Brown said on the Team 1200 the other day, he doesn't feed reporters crap and he doesn't take any either. God bless him. We can all appreciate a man like that, because they're so completely rare as to seem like aliens.

Then he was back at the microphone to pick Noesen but he could barely bring himself to spit out the words before pulling away from the microphone and scowling all the way back over to the line of scouts waiting for the kid to make his way from the stands.It was a bravura performance, borderline disrespectful, and completely dismissive of the demands of television. I've been watching NHL drafts since at least 1992 and I've never seen someone so pissed off and curmudgeonly, and I've watched the all-time greats likeBobby Clarke and Harry Sinden mumble their way through many a pick, mangling names and grinding their teeth.

Somebody must have talked to Tim before the Senators third pick, maybe his media savvy uncle, because when he went to the microphone to pick Puempel, he was like Mr. Rogers all of a sudden, thanking everybody in sight, smiling and generally acting likeAlan Thicke at a banquet.

I will say this: Tim Murray is a hell of a hockey department guy. He's just as responsible as his uncle for rebuilding the Senators farm team and watching them win an AHL championship. But you can see why he's going to have some limitations if he wants to be a GM in the NHL. There's just no Hollywood in him.

You have to wonder why the Senators would send him out to represent the team on television. It's a bit like being the Gambino crime family but instead of the "Dapper Don" John Gotti meeting the press, you send out Sammy "The Bull" Gravanoand inevitably a cameraman gets tossed to the pavemen

So he has a little Bill Polian in him. Not a bad thing

So he has a little Bill Polian in him. Not a bad thing

agreed.

his success will dictate whether or not that personality tendency will play well in buffalo.

i will say this: he's coming from a market where the media and locals presumably provided serious scrutiny to the front office's machinations.

i will say this: he's coming from a market where the media and locals presumably provided serious scrutiny to the front office's machinations.

One of the interesting things that I kept reading on the Sens HF thread was that he'd be going from a job with more scrutiny to one with less in Buffalo. I'm not so sure that will be the case.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.