Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Take Ekblad, trade Myers.

We think alike in this regard. And, I think Big Tyler could get us a pretty good return in trade.

:blink:

Anyways, as for the draft, I'd rather take Drasaitl than Ekblad. Am I the only one in this camp?

I like the Deutschland Dangler!

I think Buffalo will stay at 2 but move two of those seconds to get another player they want in the first. Now refresh my memory I know we have the Islanders first next year but don't we have their second as well?

Yep. And the Blues first.

There is a good chance we will have five of the top 40 picks next year.

This year we have four of the top 50.

Last year we had six of the top 70, then traded for number 57 (Carrier).

For the next two seasons we have:

2014:

1st round (Buffalo; 2nd overall)

2nd round (Buffalo; 31st overall)

2nd round (From WPG via MIN; 39th overall)

2nd round (Minnesota; 49th overall)

3rd round (Buffalo; 61st overall)

5th round (Buffalo; 121st overall)

6th round (Buffalo 151st overall)

7th round (Buffalo 181st overall)

2015:

1st round (Buffalo)

1st round (New York Islanders)

1st round (St. Louis)

2nd round (Buffalo)

2nd round (New York Islanders)

4th round (Buffalo)

5th round (Buffalo)

6th round (Buffalo)

7th round (Buffalo)

May I ask why is Myers still being shopped by half the forum?

Also, I don't care what Ottawa would give me for Myers (aside Karlsson), I wouldn't trade him within the division and preferably the conference if possible.

I wouldn't really want to move him either, but I'm sure it'll be considered. He's not the type of player that I would worry about moving within the division/conference. I don't think you can restrict yourself like that anymore.

Edited by Tankalicious

For the next two seasons we have:

2014:

1st round (Buffalo; 2nd overall)

2nd round (Buffalo; 31st overall)

2nd round (From WPG via MIN; 39th overall)

2nd round (Minnesota; 49th overall)

3rd round (Buffalo; 61st overall)

5th round (Buffalo; 121st overall)

6th round (Buffalo 151st overall)

7th round (Buffalo 181st overall)

2015:

1st round (Buffalo)

1st round (New York Islanders)

1st round (St. Louis)

2nd round (Buffalo)

2nd round (New York Islanders)

4th round (Buffalo)

5th round (Buffalo)

6th round (Buffalo)

7th round (Buffalo)

I wouldn't really want to move him either, but I'm sure it'll be considered. He's not the type of player that I would worry about moving within the division/conference. I don't think you can restrict yourself like that anymore.

I totally agree about the trading within your conference/division. If it improves your team you make the deal. That goes for futures too imo.

There was a hotly discussed one between Buffalo and Vancouver not too long ago.

Sort of. It was forward for forward, rather than forward for defense...and it wasn't blue chip prospect for blue chip prospect, both Hodgson and Kassian were at least a step and a half below that level. Personally, I would not be satisfied if we drafted Ekblad and then traded Myers/Ehrhoff for a second line player/prospect.

I totally agree about the trading within your conference/division. If it improves your team you make the deal. That goes for futures too imo.

Not only that...if you think you are pulling the wool over someone....it works great. Look what Bledsoe did to the Bills!

Myers in Toronto would be perfect.

Not only that...if you think you are pulling the wool over someone....it works great. Look what Bledsoe did to the Bills!

It's a story for another thread, but how great is it that those Bledsoe teams were actually our best teams over the past 10 years?

Three weeks!!

@WellsFargoCtr

We're ready for the #NHLDraft June 27-28!

Bpcs4lYCAAAEU9X.jpg

Forward corps is the strength of this year's draft

The forward group is the clear strength — and really, the only strength — of this year's draft class, and at Red Line Report, we believe that 18 of the top 20 overall selections will come from a relatively deep crop.

With that said, the top-end grouping is still not as sexy as last year's star-studded class that included Jonathan Drouin, Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov and Valeri Nichushkin. Frankly on pure talent alone, there's no one this year we would take over any of those four.

So while it might not be a class for the ages, at Red Line, we're giving Sam Bennett the slight nod as the top dog.

6/6 CRAIG BUTTON ON WGR <17:41>

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Sort of. It was forward for forward, rather than forward for defense...and it wasn't blue chip prospect for blue chip prospect, both Hodgson and Kassian were at least a step and a half below that level. Personally, I would not be satisfied if we drafted Ekblad and then traded Myers/Ehrhoff for a second line player/prospect.

I beg to differ. It may have played out that way, but at the time both were their respective teams' top prospects.

I beg to differ. It may have played out that way, but at the time both were their respective teams' top prospects.

Their teams, yes. But in the grand scheme of prospects, they weren't close to blue chip. This wasn't like trading Doughty for Toews (before they developed, obviously).

Their teams, yes. But in the grand scheme of prospects, they weren't close to blue chip. This wasn't like trading Doughty for Toews (before they developed, obviously).

OK, but the original proposal involved trading Risto or Zadorov, presumably for a good forward prospect of similar vintage and potential. That's closer to Kassian-for-Hodgy (albeit sans a defenseman) than it is to Doughty for Toews.

Myers in Toronto would be perfect.

I'd like to see Buffalo leak out that they are leaning Ekblad.

Use it as leverage with an Edmonton deal. I'd like Yak, but they'd probably dangle Eberle. Not sure though. Wouldn't be opposed to a 2nd overall and Ehrhoff for 3rd overall and Eberle. But, like I said, I'd prefer Yakopuv.

DRAFT DAY RADIO COVERAGE

WGR 550 will air 17 consecutive hours of live hockey talk on June 27

When the first day of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft rolls around on Friday, June 27, Sabres fans will be able to listen to an entire day of hockey talk on WGR 550. The flagship station of the Sabres Radio Network will air 17 consecutive hours of live programming that day beginning with the Howard Simon Show at 6 a.m. Sabres Hockey Hotline will extended from 10 a.m.-2 p.m., and there will be a live three-hour draft special from 6:30-9:30 p.m. hosted by Kevin Sylvester at First Niagara Center.

Here’s a look at the complete schedule for June 27:

6-10 a.m. – Howard Simon Show

10 a.m. – 2 p.m. – Sabres Hockey Hotline w/ Kevin Sylvester & Andrew Peters

2-6:30 p.m. – Schopp and the Bulldog

6:30-9:30 p.m. – 2014 Draft Show hosted by Kevin Sylvester, with analysis from Kris Baker, Andrew Peters, Rob Ray and Danny Gare. In addition, Paul Hamilton and Brian Duff will call-in live from Philadelphia.

9:30-11 p.m. – Post-Draft coverage with Matthew Coller

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.