Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

2014 NHL Draft Rankings: Top 30 OHL Players

No. 1 – Sam Bennett ©, Kingston Frontenacs

Bennett is an elite skater who has great acceleration and goes from 0-100 very quickly. He’s an excellent puck handler, and he has the ability to rush the puck end-to-end to create a scoring opportunity when necessary. He has a very high hockey IQ, makes smart decisions with the puck, and plays the game very fast. Bennett has a great release, and is his shot is both hard and accurate. He’s also a good playmaker, has great puck skills, and without the puck plays with a fiery edge. He plays a 200-foot game, and has potential to be a No. 1 center that many teams crave.

Just did some pull-ups. Thought I'd let everyone know.

Show off, I can't do any (or at least couldn't last time I tried (and I can't imagine that has changed)). For awhile I was getting close (40% of body weight with one arm), but ended up hurting my left tricep and fell off the workout wagon. I like to "blame" my long arms for making the leverage less advantageous; I'm 6'2" (74") but my wingspan is something like 81". Go go Monkey Arms.

Show off, I can't do any (or at least couldn't last time I tried (and I can't imagine that has changed)). For awhile I was getting close (40% of body weight with one arm), but ended up hurting my left tricep and fell off the workout wagon. I like to "blame" my long arms for making the leverage less advantageous; I'm 6'2" (74") but my wingspan is something like 81". Go go Monkey Arms.

You and I are like the same proportions. No more excuses :P

2014 NHL Draft Rankings: Top 30 OHL Players

No. 1 – Sam Bennett ©, Kingston Frontenacs

Bennett is an elite skater who has great acceleration and goes from 0-100 very quickly. He’s ...

Not sure the word "and" is appropriate in that first line. Last I checked, the only way to have a rapid change in velocity is by having great acceleration.

Wow. I'm about 74" in both and if my arms were 3 1/2 inches longer, my finger tips would end at my knee caps. Do you have very broad shoulders?

Not sure the word "and" is appropriate in that first line. Last I checked, the only way to have a rapid change in velocity is by having great acceleration.

Wow. I'm about 74" in both and if my arms were 3 1/2 inches longer, my finger tips would end at my knee caps. Do you have very broad shoulders?

BOLD: you could even say acceleration is the definition of a rapid change in direction.

Fairly, even in high school when I was 175 lbs I wore a 44 long jacket (I'm more like a 46-48 now, although that's determined more by my middle than shoulders). My finger tips are around 3" from my knee caps.

BOLD: you could even say acceleration is the definition of a rapid change in direction.

Fairly, even in high school when I was 175 lbs I wore a 44 long jacket (I'm more like a 46-48 now, although that's determined more by my middle than shoulders). My finger tips are around 3" from my knee caps.

Change in speed yes, but not necessarily direction.

I think they should report on jerk factor. The amount/how quickly that they can change their acceleration.

"We proudly select..** ***....due his high jerk factor.

As a physicist, I understand and appreciate this.

Drivers that stomp on the gas and brakes have high jerk factor.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

NHL DRAFT VIEWING PARTY PLANNED FOR JUNE 27

Live, on-site panel discussion with Sabres broadcast personalities begins at 6:30 p.m. at FNC

The Buffalo Sabres have announced plans to host an NHL Draft viewing party on Friday, June 27 at First Niagara Center. Fans will be able to watch live coverage of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft while taking in a live round-table discussion on the arena floor. Sabres broadcast personalities, including Kevin Sylvester, will be joined by Kris Baker of SabresProspects.com to provide expert analysis leading up to and during the Draft. Doors for the event will open at 6 p.m. and the panel discussion begins at 6:30 p.m.

TSN’s coverage of the Draft will be shown on the high-definition video board beginning at 7:15 p.m. and Sabres broadcaster Brian Duff will provide exclusive on-site interviews with Sabres personnel and draft picks from Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia. The panel discussion will also air on WGR 550.

Admission to the draft viewing party is free and family-friendly activities and concessions will be available throughout the night. The team is also offering complimentary parking in the arena ramp.

Fans unable to attend the draft party festivities at First Niagara Center can follow all of the Sabres draft coverage on Sabres.com and with the official Buffalo Sabres mobile app.

@hfialkov: Panthers source tells Sun Sentinel if they don't like offers for No. 1 pick then most likely they'll go for D Aaron Ekblad #FlaPanthers

I hope so. I don't want to end up like Nashville and be much better on defense than offense. Give me whichever forward Murray feels is the best. Personally I lean towards Reinhart but I'd definitely love to find out who Murray prefers with Ekblad off the board.

Edited by Drunkard

I'm guessing they really like him because he was the first of a half dozen or so mid-1st to early 3rd round guys they were on the beat of. I honestly don't know enough of him to figure what it would take to get him. His name alone sounds imposing.

Well its someone i noticed alot in juniors, and if you can get a 1st rounder lets say 14 - 16 he should drop around there.

He has some talent, but also competes on the ice from what i saw at juniors. but wouldn't excpect him to become more than a 2nd liner though.

Most likeley ehlers and virtanen will be gone by then, Barbashev is kind off the the dark horse in this draft for me.

That being said i was a fan off bennet untill i saw the combine video, not so much the pull ups , but his balance and composure that seemed to worry me.

Reinhart and Draisaitl are now ahead of him for me.

That being said he could just be a kid who still needs to learn his limitations.

Edited by Heimdall

Well its someone i noticed alot in juniors, and if you can get a 1st rounder lets say 14 - 16 he should drop around there.

He has some talent, but also competes on the ice from what i saw at juniors. but wouldn't excpect him to become more than a 2nd liner though.

Most likeley ehlers and virtanen will be gone by then, Barbashev is kind off the the dark horse in this draft for me.

If the Sabres get one of the Sams at two and also Barbashev, I'll be ecstatic. :beer:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I hope so. I don't want to end up like Nashville and be much better on defense than offense. Give me whichever forward Murray feels is the best. Personally I lean towards Reinhart but I'd definitely love to find out who Murray prefers with Ekblad off the board.

I am thinking just the opposite... for this year. I would love to see 6 SOLID D-men. Without addressing scoring, Buffalo could be in a similar position again next year and lock up the #1 or #2 in 2015 and then they can take all the O they want, beginning with McDavid.

Sam Bennett still living failed pull-up nightmare from NHL Combine

Attention hockey world: Sam Bennett can now do a pull-up.

Two, actually.

This is significant because Bennett, the top rated hockey prospect in North America ahead of June’s NHL Entry Draft in Philadelphia, couldn’t do one at the NHL Scouting Combine last month. And this became news. National news.

“Really didn’t think it was that big a deal until the next couple of days when it went crazy,” said Bennett on Monday, attending the Stanley Cup Final with other top prospects.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.