Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Didn't the earlier posts say that the pull ups were new this year? If that's the case, of course Doughty did zero. So did Marek Zagrapan, Artem Kryukov, and David Cooper.

I misspoke. Doughty could not perform a single pull-up in his first year of camp with the Kings (I had said the combine).

Here is where I saw it reported. Not a sterling source, but, like I said, I've heard it and read it enough to make me think it has credibility.

https://twitter.com/...783043300958209

Plus, take a look at McKee saying in reply (or at the start of the exchange?) that he couldn't complete one bench press in his first camp.

The player in question IS A BOY. He needs to add muscle mass. BFD.

Edited by That Aud Smell

At 18 (freshman), we used to do finger-tip pull-ups on the door jams to train for rock climbing:

hqdefault.jpg

(Closest picture I could find. Usually, the thumb wraps over the finger tips.)

Required the same arm strength, but a lot more finger strength. I was surprised to find that I could still do one twenty years later.

Finger ups. F*ck that.

That said, as between the Sam's, I like the sound of Bennett more.

Reinhart is characterized as "cerebral" and (yes I know these kinds of comparisons are useless) akin to players like Francis and Oates. That's all well and good.

Bennett is being described as the edgier sort of player and is compared to a guy like Gilmour. Umm, yes, please.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Oh and you don't draft GT in the first round. If Demko is there at 31 depending on what has gone on, you might be able to convince me but it would be hard.

Says who?

I'd trade Myers and some other assets for the 1st or 3rd overall pick in a second. I've never been sold on him as a "franchise" defenseman. Watching guys like Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Subban and others in this year's playoffs just reaffirms that belief for me.

Not every dman has to be a franchise defenseman. He's not being paid like one either.

Says who?

Me. It is a complete waste of a 1st round pick when you can get the same quality of goaltender in the 2nd and beyond. Sure there is an exception to rules, Lundqvist might be one of them. Look at the 2003 Entry Draft for example. Marc Andre Fleury or just about any other forward taken in the first round.

Not every dman has to be a franchise defenseman. He's not being paid like one either.

He makes 5.5mil against the cap, he is pretty much paid like a top defender. He is 16th highest paid player for the upcoming season using cap number. Tied for 21st using actual salary.

Updated TSN Craig's List Top 100 Prospects: http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=49649

Craig's List: Bennett's Stock Falling? <2:26>

After Sam Bennett wasn't able to do a single pull up at the NHL Combine, does that make a difference to the scouts? Craig Button weighs in on this and more.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Me. It is a complete waste of a 1st round pick when you can get the same quality of goaltender in the 2nd and beyond. Sure there is an exception to rules, Lundqvist might be one of them. Look at the 2003 Entry Draft for example. Marc Andre Fleury or just about any other forward taken in the first round..

2003 was an exceptional draft.

Look above at the calibre of players taken at pick 31 and tell me why it would be a bad gamble to take Demko in that slot.

2003 was an exceptional draft.

Look above at the calibre of players taken at pick 31 and tell me why it would be a bad gamble to take Demko in that slot.

Never said it was a bad gamble. I said "you might be able to convince me but it would be hard." in regards to taking Demko at 31. It really depends on what forwards are still on the board.

Edited by LGR4GM

So, Presidential Fitness Test debate aside, I think I've finally settled on who/what I want GMTM to do with the #2 overall pick.

Draft Sam Reinhart. And here's why:

First off, he's smart; his highlights show that he has a genuine ability to know exactly when to shoot and when to pass. He's not afraid to pull the trigger, and he sees the ice very well. Secondly, as the article below writes, he can adapt, and he isn't afraid of the limelight. Also, he has the size to buy him some time. By the time he gets into NHL conditioning, he'll be about Toews height/weight, and we've all seen how Toews fairs along the boards.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=453554

Finally, what has really kept me from separating the Sam's, is Bennett's apparent skating ability; besides his 'tenacity' the only real thing Bennett has going for him over Reinhart is how well he skates Well, you know who else skates well? Linus Omark, Afinogenov, Ennis, etc. All of them probably skate better than Toews, but we'd all take Toews 10/10 times.

TL;DR: Reinhart reminds me of Toews and I don't care how well Bennett can skate, Reinhart seems poised for the big stage and I like that.

ISS posted a sneak peak at there draft guide... Sam Reinhart.

ISS Hockey @ISShockey

2014 ISS NHL Draft Guide now available. Bigger & Better than ever - GET WHAT THE PROS USE! http://ISShockey.com/nhldraftguide

"What makes Reinhart so dangerous is his ability to dominate a game without the flash or constant barrage of risky plays that tend to stick out with other high potential offensive players"

NHLDraftGuideSample.jpg

Edited by LGR4GM

ISS posted a sneak peak at there draft guide... Sam Reinhart.

ISS Hockey @ISShockey

2014 ISS NHL Draft Guide now available. Bigger & Better than ever - GET WHAT THE PROS USE! http://ISShockey.com/nhldraftguide

"What makes Reinhart so dangerous is his ability to dominate a game without the flash or constant barrage of risky plays that tend to stick out with other high potential offensive players"

NHLDraftGuideSample.jpg

For comparison purposes, guess who this writeup is on:

Size/Strength Good

Skating Excellent

Puck Skills Excellent

Shot Very Good

Offensive Play Very Good

Defensive Play Very Good

Physical Play Very Good

Competitiveness Excellent

Hockey Sense Excellent

Strengths

1. Hockey Sense

2. Skating edge work

3. Stickhandling

Weaknesses:

1. Needs to bulk up

2. Takes bad penalties

Skill: A dynamic two-way forward that can score goals from anywhere in the OZ.

Scouting Report:

A magician with the puck who always brings creativity on offence. As equally adept at scoring goals as he is at passing the puck. A well-rounded talent on offence with many weapons in his arsenal. Can play either on the perimeter or around the net thanks to his evasiveness and unpredictability with the puck. Deceptively quick release and strong wrist-shot. Boasts a full repertoire of skills in all areas of the game. Possesses explosive speed with the puck and loves to attack the net. Very shifty & elusive skating ability that allows him to transition in no-time and get to open ice. Have really liked this player for a number of years. Needs to add more strength, but always plays with a mean edge and never backs down physically.

ISS Scout P. Myre: “Speed, Smarts & Skill. Very competitive, chippy at times. Plays 200 foot game. Not much down side to this player. Top two line player”.

D. Mac’s Quote: “Very skilled and talented, can play the game any way you want – durability is my only concern”.

NHL Potential: Franchise Center

Style compares to: Logan Couture

That would be Sam Bennett's

I like both Reinhart and Bennett very much. From the tape I have seen on them, Reinhart reminds me a little bit of Drury the way he can see plays develop, Bennett reminds me of Max Pacioretty with the way he skates and drives to the net with his shot.

Mike Morreale Interview (5/31/14) <5:54>

NHL.com staff writer Mike Morreale speaks with Sabres.com at the NHL Draft Combine.

Summer Podcast Series: Combine and draft day trading <29:58>

Matthew Coller and Kris Baker of SabresProspects.com and Sabres.com discuss Sam Bennett's pull-up struggles, the interviewing process at the combine and options for the Sabres if they want to move up to the No. 1 spot in the draft.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Been thinking about that #2 a lot lately. If Ekblad is gone, i gotta go Reinhart. Kids vision and sense is supposedly phenominal. With CoHos recent move to wing i really wanna see what those two could do together. Both great passers with great sense. Could probably pull some defenders groins if they got some pretty passing going.

Been thinking about that #2 a lot lately. If Ekblad is gone, i gotta go Reinhart. Kids vision and sense is supposedly phenominal. With CoHos recent move to wing i really wanna see what those two could do together. Both great passers with great sense. Could probably pull some defenders groins if they got some pretty passing going.

I like Reinhart too and agree with what you say about him. The reason I still favor Bennett is that he has a higher ceiling. Also he is a shooter and amazingly driven to succeed. Again just to clarify that is just my opinion on the issue.

They basically said during this that Zack Kassian didn't have the hockey intelligence to succeed regularly in the NHL. Fascinating.

I like Reinhart too and agree with what you say about him. The reason I still favor Bennett is that he has a higher ceiling. Also he is a shooter and amazingly driven to succeed. Again just to clarify that is just my opinion on the issue.

They basically said during this that Zack Kassian didn't have the hockey intelligence to succeed regularly in the NHL. Fascinating.

"The lights are on and no one is home". HA!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.