Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I could do multiple pull ups when youngish but we called them chin ups ? I know. Must be a Canadian thing. Since my first rotator cuff injury I haven't tried one. Why would you ? Anyways, there are other exercises that would prolly work the same muscle group. I could care less about this kids ability to do the ahem, chin up. Its the desire to improve on something he's not so good at that worries me. Despite his stats there will be things that need improvement in the N.H.L. Does he absolutely burn up inside to be the best ? Thats what concerns me.

Chin ups = hand behind bar

Pull ups = hand in front of bar

chin-up-vs-pull-up.jpg

Pullups, not chinups, FFS. They absolutely involve the muscles needed to push someone off, and they are not even close to a curling motion. I'm worried about you two.

EDIT: And I see I've already been vindicated. Posted too quickly! Carry on, don't draft this kid.

Edited by Eleven

Pullups, not chinups, FFS. They absolutely involve the muscles needed to push someone off, and they are not even close to a curling motion. I'm worried about you two.

EDIT: And I see I've already been vindicated. Posted too quickly! Carry on, don't draft this kid.

I think a few of these guys need to get off the internet and hit a gym or something. :P

I could do multiple pull ups when youngish but we called them chin ups ? I know. Must be a Canadian thing. Since my first rotator cuff injury I haven't tried one. Why would you ?

I had a rotator cuff injury about five years ago. Once I was done with PT, I tried a pull up once and I will never attempt one again. It was excruciating.

@bodybyobrien

According to this study, the standing long jump is the best predictor of success for forwards at the NHL combine. http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/18714234

Incidentally, Bennett has the best horizontal jumping ability of any prospect I've worked with. Still raw and huge capacity for development.

FYI: Andy O'Brien is a highly regarded trainer who works with players like Crosby, MacKinnon, and Duchene.

I had a rotator cuff injury about five years ago. Once I was done with PT, I tried a pull up once and I will never attempt one again. It was excruciating.

I hope the Sabres don't draft you, either.

(PS: I would max at one, TOPS, right now. I also should not be drafted, unless by the Flyers, so I can sabotage from within.)

Edited by Eleven

I had to have a foam wedge built that I could sleep on so my shoulder was elevated when I slept otherwise blood would pool in the injury and cause excruciating ( there's simply no other way to explain it ) pain making sleep impossible. This went on for about 8 months before I was healed enough to sleep normally. This was also the second time I injured that shoulder. For anyone that hasn't suffered this injury you do not want to go through this. I am literally afraid to throw a baseball, frisbee etc to this day. It really sucks.

I definitely could not do a pull-up at 17 years old...but I could push someone around on the ice, or lay them out on the football field.

I still think Reinhart is the superior athlete/player, and I want the Sabres to draft him the most.

(I'd like Thatcher Demko too, if they get another late 1st round pick...or if he makes it to the 2nd round.)

The tooth picks were usually the kids who could do the most. The kid in my high school class who had the most pull ups was the scrawniest kid in the class. If you don't have any weight, it's easy to pull yourself up.

I was always told that growing up, but I never could do them.

Same here. I graduated a buck thirty with pipe cleaners for arms. I bulked up in college (put on Freshman 30 and then junior 30). Don't think I can do one now being 42, 210 lbs and haven't lifted a weight in a decade.

yupp...I too did the +60lbs in college thing. Finally started working out (cardio kickboxing is great for weight loss). Went from 260 to 230, and now I can do pullups...in a limited capacity lol.

I went home last night and the girlfriend had bought a door frame pullup bar. Put it in and did 7. I felt accomplished.

I was always told that growing up, but I never could do them.

This kid went on and on for what seemed like a half hour. You just know that everyone waiting in line was thinking "well this is going to make me look really bad". I'm pretty sure he did about 375 of them.

I had to have a foam wedge built that I could sleep on so my shoulder was elevated when I slept otherwise blood would pool in the injury and cause excruciating ( there's simply no other way to explain it ) pain making sleep impossible. This went on for about 8 months before I was healed enough to sleep normally. This was also the second time I injured that shoulder. For anyone that hasn't suffered this injury you do not want to go through this. I am literally afraid to throw a baseball, frisbee etc to this day. It really sucks.

I had nothing anywhere near that severe, but sleeping was a major league pain in the ass. I toss and turn a bit, so that caused a ton of trouble.

:blink:

At 18 (freshman), we used to do finger-tip pull-ups on the door jams to train for rock climbing:

hqdefault.jpg

(Closest picture I could find. Usually, the thumb wraps over the finger tips.)

Required the same arm strength, but a lot more finger strength. I was surprised to find that I could still do one twenty years later.

Ehrhoff would likely veto a trade to Edmonton. Myers would have to be the D man moved if #3 is the goal.

I don't think Edmonton would go for that.

I would trade EDM or FLO Myers but only if in return we knew we were going to be drafting Ekblad. Myers for Ekblad swap could work very nicely. I think I have already stated multiple times that I am not sure Myers can think/process the game at high enough level consistently.

That said, I am not sure if Myers alone gets you the 1 or 3 pick. Rumor has it that FLO wants a RHD with top pairing skills...

@bodybyobrien

FYI: Andy O'Brien is a highly regarded trainer who works with players like Crosby, MacKinnon, and Duchene.

Pubmed, always a good source. I will be reading this article this afternoon.

I definitely could not do a pull-up at 17 years old...but I could push someone around on the ice, or lay them out on the football field.

I still think Reinhart is the superior athlete/player, and I want the Sabres to draft him the most.

(I'd like Thatcher Demko too, if they get another late 1st round pick...or if he makes it to the 2nd round.)

I think Reinhart is currently a more complete player and a safer pick. I think he is mentally more mature. Bennett IMPO has a higher ceiling but has a higher likelihood of missing said ceiling.

Oh and you don't draft GT in the first round. If Demko is there at 31 depending on what has gone on, you might be able to convince me but it would be hard.

Edited by LGR4GM

@NicholsOnHockey

Sources at combine tell @GareJoyceNHL several teams have aggressively pursued trades w/ #FlaPanthers (No. 1 pick) and #Sabres (No. 2 pick).

http://www.sportsnet...e-at-nhl-draft/

Interesting. Looks like Murray is determined to make a splash, maybe parlay the assets from one deal into another.

I read that as two is on the table if we get a good young forward and are still able to get a relatively high pick.

Two for eight and Evander Kane and 49 is the kind of thing that fits what Murray has been saying.

Oh and you don't draft GT in the first round. If Demko is there at 31 depending on what has gone on, you might be able to convince me but it would be hard.

First-round goalies 2000-2010:

Rick Dipietro, Pascal Leclair, Dan Blackburn, Jason Bacashihua, Kari Lehtonen, Cam Ward, Hannu Toivenen, MA Fleury, Al Montoya, Devan Dubnyk, Marek Schwarz, Carey Price, Tukka Rask, Riku Helenius, Jonathan Bernier, Sergei Varlamov, Leland Irving, Chet Picard, Thomas McCollum, Jack Campbell, Mark Visentin

A lot of whiffs there, some solid players and few franchise guys.

Pick number 31 2000-2010:

Ilya Nikulin, Matthew Spiller, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers, Danny Richmond, Johannes Salmonsson, Brendan Mikkelson, Thomas Kana, TJ Brennan, Jakub Markstrom, Mikka Koskinen, Tyler Pitlick

Nothing but shiite

Based on that, if Demko is still there at 31, I take him.

Edited by dudacek

I think Reinhart is currently a more complete player and a safer pick. I think he is mentally more mature. Bennett IMPO has a higher ceiling but has a higher likelihood of missing said ceiling.

For the Sabres, I like Ekblad, Reinhart, and Bennet in that order. Of course, that could change. Some of my appreciation for Reinhart is informed by his Dad.

I think Demko will be there in the second round. I think he's the size Murray likes.

JFC on the pull-up thing. He's a kid who needs to develop his strength.

Know who else did zero pull ups at the combine? Drew Doughty. This is nonsense.

Didn't the earlier posts say that the pull ups were new this year? If that's the case, of course Doughty did zero. So did Marek Zagrapan, Artem Kryukov, and David Cooper.

Know who else did zero pull ups at the combine? Drew Doughty. This is nonsense.

Yep. It's not cross-fit. We're not looking for the guy who is the best at working out.

I posted elsewhere, this sort of thing came up prior to the 2007 NBA draft. Kevin Durant couldn't do a single bench press rep at 185, the only guy at the combine who couldn't do a single rep. The talking heads flipped out about it. ...He, of course, won MVP this year.

I would trade EDM or FLO Myers but only if in return we knew we were going to be drafting Ekblad. Myers for Ekblad swap could work very nicely. I think I have already stated multiple times that I am not sure Myers can think/process the game at high enough level consistently.

That said, I am not sure if Myers alone gets you the 1 or 3 pick. Rumor has it that FLO wants a RHD with top pairing skills...

I'd trade Myers and some other assets for the 1st or 3rd overall pick in a second. I've never been sold on him as a "franchise" defenseman. Watching guys like Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Subban and others in this year's playoffs just reaffirms that belief for me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.