Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Does explain several things about him and again helps me refine my Myers theory.

The legend of Zack Kassian... "What? Were you guys talking to me?"

I've been one of his biggest supporters on his physical ability and talent, but even I had to concede he is a lunkhead after his last suspension. He's still young and can refine some things, but like you say with Myers....there's only so much you can do to make up for it....whether it be underthinking or overthinking.

What worries me about Ekblad is his body. Has he been dominating because he has a man's body in a boy's league. Note I know he is good had has skill but I am talking about his domination. Will he be another E Johnson?

The kid has an NHL shot, huge reach, NHL body. He's a sure bet.

Dominant? You never really know. But I'd bet on that wingspan of his.

What worries me about Ekblad is his body. Has he been dominating because he has a man's body in a boy's league. Note I know he is good had has skill but I am talking about his domination. Will he be another E Johnson?

I'll have to wait for GoDD's physical breakdown of Ekblad before commenting. Ghost checks their teeth and everything.

GO SABRES!!!

I would trade EDM or FLO Myers but only if in return we knew we were going to be drafting Ekblad. Myers for Ekblad swap could work very nicely. I think I have already stated multiple times that I am not sure Myers can think/process the game at high enough level consistently.

That said, I am not sure if Myers alone gets you the 1 or 3 pick. Rumor has it that FLO wants a RHD with top pairing skills...

Pubmed, always a good source. I will be reading this article this afternoon.

I think Reinhart is currently a more complete player and a safer pick. I think he is mentally more mature. Bennett IMPO has a higher ceiling but has a higher likelihood of missing said ceiling.

Oh and you don't draft GT in the first round. If Demko is there at 31 depending on what has gone on, you might be able to convince me but it would be hard.

Well, that is why I said "unless he makes it to the 2nd round." Even then you take him if you think he can be an elite goalie, and won't make it to the 2nd round, and you have a pick to spend on an elite goalie prospect. I'd much rather get the best goalie in a couple years, instead of the 28th-31st best skater in a relatively weak draft class. If you want him, and don't think he is going to make it to your next pick...you take him.

(Not to mention, every mock draft I've seen has him going in the top-20...but you don't want him at the end of round #1?)

First-round goalies 2000-2010:

Rick Dipietro, Pascal Leclair, Dan Blackburn, Jason Bacashihua, Kari Lehtonen, Cam Ward, Hannu Toivenen, MA Fleury, Al Montoya, Devan Dubnyk, Marek Schwarz, Carey Price, Tukka Rask, Riku Helenius, Jonathan Bernier, Sergei Varlamov, Leland Irving, Chet Picard, Thomas McCollum, Jack Campbell, Mark Visentin

A lot of whiffs there, some solid players and few franchise guys.

Pick number 31 2000-2010:

Ilya Nikulin, Matthew Spiller, Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers, Danny Richmond, Johannes Salmonsson, Brendan Mikkelson, Thomas Kana, TJ Brennan, Jakub Markstrom, Mikka Koskinen, Tyler Pitlick

Nothing but shiite

Based on that, if Demko is still there at 31, I take him.

How many of those were actually rated as the best goalie in their draft class and a top-20 draft pick? That is the question.

Edited by Bob Malooga

Not sure the ISS rankings got posted...

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

Reinhart, Ekblad, Dal Colle, Bennett, Nylander, Draisaitl

And this also happened:

Chris Nichols@NicholsOnHockey

Brian Burke on Sam Bennett: "This kid's a mean little bastard. I don't give a ###### if he can do pull-ups." #Flames Via @theryanleslie

Edited by LGR4GM

Not sure the ISS rankings got posted...

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

Reinhart, Ekblad, Dal Colle, Bennett, Nylander, Draisaitl

And this also happened:

Chris Nichols@NicholsOnHockey

Brian Burke on Sam Bennett: "This kid's a mean little bastard. I don't give a ###### if he can do pull-ups." #Flames Via @theryanleslie

McKeens on Bennett:

Best Skaters

Kingston center Sam Bennett brings power, quickness and agility to his skill reportoire.

Best Stickhandlers

Sam Bennett’s speed, lateral agility and puck skills make him a defenceman’s nightmare on many nights.

Best Hockey Sense

Sam Bennett - coach’s dream, playing intelligently and working diligently in all three zones.

Best Playmaker

Bennett - great hands and reach, and can saucer a pass with the best of them.

Best Character

Bennett gives an honest effort at both ends every night, and has drawn comparisons to former OHLer Doug Gilmour with his on-ice leadership.

I disagree with some of McKeen's assessment. Best Hockey Sense is Sam Reinhart. Best Skater is Jake Virtanen. That being said I think Bennett has the highest ceiling and potential in this draft class and he is a nightmare for opposing defenders.

I disagree with some of McKeen's assessment. Best Hockey Sense is Sam Reinhart. Best Skater is Jake Virtanen. That being said I think Bennett has the highest ceiling and potential in this draft class and he is a nightmare for opposing defenders.

They're not saying Bennett is the best in each of those categories. I just posted their assessment of Bennett in each one.

Man. I really want Ekblad. I just don't think he makes it to #2.

I'm torn because we really need offense cause I don't want to end up like Nasville before with great defense, great goaltending but no offense. This team defense would be unbelievable if you add Ekblad to it problem is who is gonna score. This is already the teams biggest issue and we lack offensive depth in the system. Me personally I like Reinhart. Playmaking center who is just solid in all aspects of the game.

They're not saying Bennett is the best in each of those categories. I just posted their assessment of Bennett in each one.

Ah okay. Basically they are saying he has great skills in all the areas. I'd agree with that. He again has the most potential.

The reason I continue to favor Bennett over Reinhart is that Bennett is younger and is some areas already better. There is just so much potential there that could exploit other teams. His shot is great, his skating is great, hes smart, and he hasn't reach his full playing weight yet. It is a close race but I still slightly favor Bennett.

Man. I really want Ekblad. I just don't think he makes it to #2.

It is unpopular on this board, but I'd take Ekblad. Big, physical and can skate and shoot. The rational for "best player available" is it opens up trade options.

I'm also in the clear minority in that I don't want a cerebral, play making non-physical center (Reinhart). I see him as a slightly better CoHo. IMHO, we need size and physicality up front to compete with the big boys. The Kings' smallest forward is 6'1 190 (Justin Williams) and he is gritty as hell. Their entire roster, for the most part, is guys over 200 lbs. and all of those guys are capable of playing a physical rough-and-tumble game without getting worn down. If Murray really wants to pattern the team after the Kings then we need big forwards who can possess the puck and forecheck with reckless abandon. For that reason, I like Draisaitl and (to a lesser extent) Bennett over Reinhart.

We are going to pick a damn good player at #2. I really don't care which one it is.

This is kinda where I am, although I have real reservations about taking Ekblad. At that point, the Sabres would almost need to trade a defenseman -- and everyone would know it, which would hurt their trading leverage. That, combined with the fact that the Sabres are dying for offense but would've taken a defenseman anyway, would put a lot of pressure on Ekblad to be a franchise player.

It's great if it works out, but everyone is going to be PO'd if it doesn't.

Freeman raises a good point on Ekblad being burdened by expectations.

Fans already have Risto and Zads. Most expect Ekblad to be similar, and that won't be the reward the fans want for tanking - they want a flashier toy.

@X, do you see Ekblad as Doughty? Because he would need to be. Chris Phillips won't be good enough for this crowd.

And I like Ekblad a lot.

Freeman raises a good point on Ekblad being burdened by expectations.

Fans already have Risto and Zads. Most expect Ekblad to be similar, and that won't be the reward the fans want for tanking - they want a flashier toy.

@X, do you see Ekblad as Doughty? Because he would need to be. Chris Phillips won't be good enough for this crowd.

And I like Ekblad a lot.

I think he'll be a more physical pro than Doughty in his own end. I think their slapshots are comparable.

Doughty is the better skater.

I think Ekblad is a potential rock in the lineup of whoever drafts him for the next 15 years. I think he might be the only one in this draft that steps right into the NHL.

I think at this point a right-handed Ryan Suter is the better comparison. (but bigger!)

Edited by X. Benedict

I could live with Suter. Or Toews, Gilmour or Jagr lite, which seems to be the upsides of our other choices.

I like all four of those kids and I think they will all be good NHLers.

There will be hand-wringing if we miss the one that becomes the true stud, but I seriously don't think there is a dud in the bunch.

I expect whatever guy we pick to become a very good player.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.