Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I guessed all five players before i even open the article. It's always the same players. Stewart should be on the list, but he isn't a whipping boy yet, so doesn't make the cut

Guessing before I read:

Myers

Ehrhoff

Ennis

Stafford

Weber

Because you know no one is trading for Leino.

Now, let's see how I did...

EDIT: Three out of five. Not very good.

Edited by Eleven

That's way too much to give up in this draft and the Sabres don't have a pick in the 20s.

Oops, got 2014 and 2015 mixed up, my bad. I guess it'd be the Sabres 2nd rounder (#31). In any case, I don't think I'd make the trade as a Sabre, but it would be temping for EDM.

Interesting take on Reinhart.

http://canucksarmy.c...-s-sam-reinhart

Thanks, interesting read. The "why you tank graph"

post-61-0-80310900-1402494585_thumb.png

The thing about the entry draft is that talent is not distributed in a linear fashion. That is to say that each prospect is not just a little worse than the guy before him. Instead, talent tends to decline exponentially from the 1st overall pick onwards, and draft picks in the 5-10 range tend to be closer in value to 3rd round picks than they are to guys taken just 2 or 3 picks ahead of them:

Much of the article is excellent. Where he/she? fails, I think, is worrying too much about the price being paid. For instance, Ekblad could go first, my model thinks he should go 5th, that's not going to change how Ekblad plays. Bo Horvat is either going to be a difference maker, or not, and because he's a 9th overall pick, doesn't change that.

As my model evolves, my model and the writer agree on one thing, Reinhart is going to be really good.

Just caught some video of this prospect named Ehlers. I forget who does the drive-by postings in threads on Ehlers, I have to say, I'm on board. I'd like Buffalo to trade back up into the top 10 and get him, he seems like the perfect player to bring into this organization. Here is the link where I saw the video of him.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Nikolaj-Ehlers

He is quick, reminds me of a Briere/Afino cross breed with work ethic.

Who ever the poster is that was on this guy from the get go, way to stay ahead of the curve here.

Just caught some video of this prospect named Ehlers. I forget who does the drive-by postings in threads on Ehlers, I have to say, I'm on board. I'd like Buffalo to trade back up into the top 10 and get him, he seems like the perfect player to bring into this organization. Here is the link where I saw the video of him.

http://www.mynhldraf.../Nikolaj-Ehlers

He is quick, reminds me of a Briere/Afino cross breed with work ethic.

Who ever the poster is that was on this guy from the get go, way to stay ahead of the curve here.

Don't tell Sabres Fan in NS that, his head will swell up. :)

(he's ahead of the curve partially because Ehlers places for his local QMJHL team, and he's a giant homer! :) :))

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/31442/rumblings-spezzas-value-panthers-coach

Sabres GM Tim Murray says he’d like to pick up another first-round draft pick to add to the second overall pick he already has.

"I can’t imagine I would trade the second overall pick," Murray said. "I’d like to get a couple of more first-round picks and I have those three third-rounders to us. I certainly know you can’t trade a second for a first, but you might take some money back in a deal to do that and I do have to get to the (cap) floor. There are different ways to get to the floor so I’m exploring all that."

Where is that big head emoticon I asked chz to add?

EHLERS!!

5 on 5 - Ehlers generally plays on the first line with Drouin.

On the PP Ehlers usually camps on the wing with Drouin on the point for that big *PP Slapper*.

PP Slapper ... pink courtesy phone ... pink courtesy phone ... PP Slapper.

Strong rumours the Canucks are trying to move up to get Reinhart make me realize how badly I want Reinhart.

I hope Florida's shopping of the top pick ends the same way most of those auctions do, with them keeping the pick.

In my fantasyland, they take Ekblad, we take Reinhart, move up to take Barbashev, and have Ho-Sang and/or Demko fall into our laps in the second.

Reinhart will make his linemates better, be a first-line NHL player for a long time, a versatile leader, and the perfect complement to the franchise centre we (fingers crossed) get next year.

Barbashev is a warrior with smarts and talent. His floor will be a good second or third liner for a dozen years and he will be there in the big games. I trade Ehrhoff to move up to get him.

Ho-Sang is boom or bust, but the Sabres are desperate for talent and you don't usually get his kind of talent in the second round. We have a good stable of grit and character in the system. With the number of picks we have, we can afford to swing for the fences.

I know all the anti-goalie arguments, the fact remains, we do not have blue-chip goalie in the system. Demko is a blue-chipper. If we can get the best goalie in the draft with our third or fourth pick we take him.

Edited by dudacek

Strong rumours the Canucks are trying to move up to get Reinhart make me realize how badly I want Reinhart.

I hope Florida's shopping of the top pick ends the same way most of those auctions do, with them keeping the pick.

In my fantasyland, they take Ekblad, we take Reinhart, move up to take Barbashev, and have Ho-Sang and/or Demko fall into our laps in the second.

Reinhart will make his linemates better, be a first-line NHL player for a long time, a versatile leader, and the perfect complement to the franchise centre we (fingers crossed) get next year.

Barbashev is a warrior with smarts and talent. His floor will be a good second or third liner for a dozen years and he will be there in the big games. I trade Ehrhoff to move up to get him.

Ho-Sang is boom or bust, but the Sabres are desperate for talent and you don't usually get his kind of talent in the second round. We have a good stable of grit and character in the system. With the number of picks we have, we can afford to swing for the fences.

I know all the anti-goalie arguments, the fact remains, we do not have blue-chip goalie in the system. Demko is a blue-chipper. If we can get the best goalie in the draft with our third or fourth pick we take him.

I'd be very happy with Reinhart and Demko (not that I'd chase him)

Ho Sang I'd be okay with - but not in the first round. I'd want Scherbeck, Milano, Bleakley, Kempe, Tuch, Larkin, or Karlsson first.

I'm not advocating Ho-Sang in the first either.

I see him as similar but riskier to Milano and Scherbak. But I don't see either of those guys lasting into the 30s.

One of Kempe, Karlsson, Tuch and Bleackley may be available in the 30s, and I like them.

But I think I'd take Ho-Sang over each at that point for his home-run potential.

Our team has Fasching and Girgensons and Carrier and Baptiste coming for glue guy roles already.

For Larkin, we'd have to trade into the teens for sure.

I'm not advocating Ho-Sang in the first either.

I see him as similar but riskier to Milano and Scherbak. But I don't see either of those guys lasting into the 30s.

One of Kempe, Karlsson, Tuch and Bleackley may be available in the 30s, and I like them.

But I think I'd take Ho-Sang over each at that point for his home-run potential.

Our team has Fasching and Girgensons and Carrier and Baptiste coming for glue guy roles already.

For Larkin, we'd have to trade into the teens for sure.

There is plenty of ammo to do that with all the picks, and perhaps a player.

I'd be happy if we traded up for Larkin, but happier if we traded up for Barbashev.

I expect Tim to have a number of potential deals in place that may or may not happen depending on the boards of the trade partners and how the draft falls.

Should be an exciting draft day.

I can't wait for draft day I think Murray has some players he wants and will move up to get them. Draft day can't come fast enough!

That's all we are reduced to. Because if they tank a second year in a row, all we will be waiting for is the trade deadline, the lottery and the draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.