Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Ok here's my idea:

Trade our 2nd rounder to Pittsburgh for the 22nd overall and Rob Scuderi(cap dump)

Trade Winnipeg's 2nd rounder and our 3rd rounder to San Jose for the 20th overall and Havlat (cap dump)

Trade Ehrhoff, Buf's 5th rounder, and the Pittsburgh pick to Anaheim for Ottawa's 10th pick, and Anaheim's 24th overall and a conditional 4th that could become as high as a 2nd in the 2015 draft.

That'd give you 2,10, 20, and 24

Edited by thewookie1

I like Barbashev as much as some others. If we end up with him and two then that's a very good first round in a mediocre draft. If we could pull off having three firsts to land Sonny Milano, too, I'd be ecstatic. I think he'll turn into a very good offensive winger. I still really like the idea of bringing in Demko.

On Demko, it's worth noting that Murray took three goalies (Hogberg 3rd round 2013, Driedger 3rd round 2012 and Lehner 2nd round 2009) in the first three rounds while in Ottawa. Those guys are 6'4, 6'3 and 6'5 respectively. Demko is listed at 6'3 with potential to grow still.

Edited by Tankalicious

I like Barbashev as much as some others. If we end up with him and two then that's a very good first round in a mediocre draft. If we could pull off having three firsts to land Sonny Milano, too, I'd be ecstatic. I think he'll turn into a very good offensive winger. I still really like the idea of bringing in Demko.

On Demko, it's worth noting that Murray took three goalies (Hogberg 3rd round 2013, Driedger 3rd round 2012 and Lehner 2nd round 2009) in the first three rounds while in Ottawa. Those guys are 6'4, 6'3 and 6'5 respectively. Demko is listed at 6'3 with potential to grow still.

Look for Alex Tuch to fall, and the sabres either trade up late in first to grab him or take him with their first pick in the second. Prototypical TM pick - big kid, a banger, quality kid through and through. Doesn't have elite offensive talent but he is good enough for a second/third line checking role. He's Foligno with actual offensive talent.

To boot, He's a Syracuse kid.

Edited by korab rules

Look for Alex Tuch to fall, and the sabres either trade up late in first to grab him or take him with their first pick in the second. Prototypical TM pick big kid, a banger, quality kid through and through. Doesn't have elite offensive talent but he is good enough for a second/third line checking role. He's Foligno with actual offensive talennt.

He's heading to BC this fall, right?

And hey, good to see you around here. It's been a while.

Look for Alex Tuch to fall, and the sabres either trade up late in first to grab him or take him with their first pick in the second. Prototypical TM pick - big kid, a banger, quality kid through and through. Doesn't have elite offensive talent but he is good enough for a second/third line checking role. He's Foligno with actual offensive talent.

I really like Tuch

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nhl-prospect-hot-list-boston-college-commit-alex-tuch/

But check out this sentence:: :lol:

Alex Tuch, RW – U.S. NTDP (USHL)

Coming in at 6-foot-3, 215 pounds with a heavy power game, Tuch may have had the oddest choice for favorite player growing up: finesse pivot Tim Connolly. Of course, it makes a bit more sense when you know that Connolly’s parents lived next door to Tuch outside of Syracuse, N.Y. and seeing Connolly suit up for the Islanders and Sabres had an effect on young Tuch. And while Connolly played major junior, Tuch is looking forward to playing at Boston College next season.

Anyone like my idea?

Not bad, but I mentioned elsewhere that I doubt San Jose will need to dump Havlat. Seems like they've already committed to buying him out. If a GM has the go-ahead to use the compliance buyout on him then there's no reason to let a team consider taking him on as added value to a trade.

I think the 22 and Scuderi for 31 idea really has potential. Pittsburgh NEEDS to dump him.

Then, maybe:

Christian Ehrhoff and 49 to Detroit for 15 and 106 (4th round).

That leaves Buffalo with 2, 15, 22 and 39 in the first two rounds.

I would love to land Reinhart, Barbashev, Milano and Demko with those picks.

Didn't realize how many others were on the Barbashev train.

Do you give up Ehrhoff to get him? Because that might get it done.

Absolutely. It hurts us short term for the lottery next draft and helps us in the long run. Plus we have a good amount of top 4 d hopefully coming up soon.

You should be used to it by now.

I don't think the cap dump idea is going to get much traction, but if it did, taken individually those aren't ridiculous notions.

Not bad, but I mentioned elsewhere that I doubt San Jose will need to dump Havlat. Seems like they've already committed to buying him out. If a GM has the go-ahead to use the compliance buyout on him then there's no reason to let a team consider taking him on as added value to a trade.

I think the 22 and Scuderi for 31 idea really has potential. Pittsburgh NEEDS to dump him.

Then, maybe:

Christian Ehrhoff and 49 to Detroit for 15 and 106 (4th round).

That leaves Buffalo with 2, 15, 22 and 39 in the first two rounds.

I would love to land Reinhart, Barbashev, Milano and Demko with those picks.

That's even better than my fantasyland scenario.

This ###### draft can't come soon enough.

I keep thinking Philly is the target for trade. Take on Vinny Lecavier for buyout or trade while keeping cash. They are deep in young forward depth and could also be a possible destination for Erhoff or Hackett.

Vinny has a no-trade clause. He won't be moving as a pure salary dump.

Vinny has a no-trade clause. He won't be moving as a pure salary dump.

He would need to approve it but a buyout as opposed to staying in Philly may be better option for him. He could also approve as part of a three team trade where Buffalo retains salary.

He would need to approve it but a buyout as opposed to staying in Philly may be better option for him. He could also approve as part of a three team trade where Buffalo retains salary.

He knows that there will be interested teams that are ready to give him a relevant role and compete. Don't see any reason for him to take the move. Especially before the draft.

I say Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Draisaitl, Ehlers, Dal Colle and Nylander.

Yes please to the 2 in red.

Haha you realize your list is the same as his, right? I think the top five are clear: Ekblad, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Bennett. The next two could be from a large pile: Ehlers, Tuch, Virtanen, Nylander, Ritchie, Perlini, and even guys like Barbashev, Fiala, McCann and Fleury could be in there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.