Sekera dealt to the Canes

inkman

I'm not sure what incentive Rutherford would have to blatantly lie about it after the fact. "Yea we tried to move back but the offer was rejected. Oh hi there Elias, we <3 you!" Just don't see it.

He's essentially saying "we really wanted Sekera and we were prepared to pay much more for him". It's the same exact thing as when each team says they drafted exactly who they targeted.

What Sekera is today is not as valuable as a player whose ceiling is unknown. You can't get top end players by keeping holding on to your middling players and not taking risks.

Holding onto middling players like Stafford? And not taking risks on guys like Nichushkin?

What Sekera is today is not as valuable as a player whose ceiling is unknown. You can't get top end players by keeping holding on to your middling players and not taking risks.

You can't possibly mean that as you typed it. By that logic Sekera may as well have been traded for a 7th round pick and you'd still be okay with it. It also appears I think more highly of Sekera than you do, as I don't think rock solid #3 Dmen grow on trees.

http://nhl.si.com/2013/06/30/nhl-draft-habs-nab-fucale-oilers-blunder-bolland-trade-more-notes/

• Sure feels like Buffalo won the deal that got them Jamie McBain and the 35th overall pick (JT Compher) in exchange for Andrej Sekera. The Hurricanes were looking for a veteran capable of playing a dependable, top-four role. Not sure Sekera is up to that task on a consistent basis–he’s always been one of those players who’s fine, but leaves you wanting more.

McBain’s development had stalled in Carolina, so the chance to play under his former USNTDP coach Ron Rolston, could be what he needs to kick start the process. He’s thought to have a higher sealing than Sekera, so this will be a real test for Rolston to get the best out of the 25-year-old.

Add in Compher, “a leader who makes his team go” according to NACS, and this could turn out to be a seriously lopsided swap.

Looking at the stats:

McBain and Sekera fairly similar

About the same net giveaway/takeaway, slight edge to McBain

Sekera actually hits a bit more.

McBain blocks more shots.

McBain shoots a lot more. 258 to 209 over three years.

McBain also shoots righty. More balanced at the blueline.

McBain's been a disappointment, but did he not have power play potential at one point?

Rolston should have a pretty good insight into whether he was worth taking a chance on.

To me though, he looks more like someone the Canes wanted to dump.

I think this is the kind of pain Darcy was talking about. Give up a quality, productive player who has probably not reached his potential, for a potential leader and Selke guy.

If Compher reaches the kinds of projections they have for him, it's a win in the long term. But I understand the many here who are not comfortable with Regier being given the long-term duty of building this team over again.

Are you the new social media guy for the Sabres?

Here's a trade offer:

Sekera and Compher for McBain and Nurse.

Any takers?

I do not understand this equation

It is more like Ristolainen and Compher for Nurse.

I like what we have.

On the other hand i could have been ( with a different GM)

Ristolainen and Compher for Lindholm/Monahan

This would have been more difficult to decide.

Looking at the stats:

Thanks Chz, you often clear up thinking. This was a Corsi trade, the key number from Regier's point of view is the number of shots taken.

Thanks Chz, you often clear up thinking. This was a Corsi trade, the key number from Regier's point of view is the number of shots taken.

Then Regier truly is an idiot, because this season was the only year in the past 3 where McBain has a better Corsi, all while Sekera has faced significantly harder competition.

McBain really fell out of favor here last season. He was absolutely brutal. He was kind of like theCanes Stafford, albeit without the albatross of a contract. He had worn out his welcome in Raleigh and was going to be moved one way or another.

Yeah, he was really pretty bad from the get go last season. It's been widely reported he came out of the lockout in bad shape and never recovered. A few years back he showed some real promise as a puck moving d-man who played well on the PP. I think it's worth a gamble for the Sabres to bring him in and see if Rolston (his former coach) can get him back on track. If not, then move along.

Looking at the stats:

Then Regier truly is an idiot, because this season was the only year in the past 3 where McBain has a better Corsi, all while Sekera has faced significantly harder competition.

In addition, the additional number of shots over the three year period is not statistically significant. It works out to one more shot every four games.

Its about player Development. The Buffalo Sabres couldn't develop a photo from a insta-matic camera, let alone develop a hockey player. This whole regime couldn't pour urine out of a boot, if the instructions were printed on the bottom. I seriously wonder, what the chances are of any of these draft picks, becoming the next Chris Pronger / Chris Chelios? They might of had a chance, if they were drafted by another team.

Let's assume for the moment that the hype is correct, and this really is a deep draft. That 35 pick could theoretically be equivalent to a late first rounder other years, depending on where the "drop offs" are.

So then you're looking at:

Sekera <-> McBain + Late 1st round pick (JT Compher)

That seems alright to me, especially with the pick being JT Compher, a kid that played great for the USNTDP (55GP, 18G, 31A, +12, 53PIM, 2nd leading scorer). And you know Kevin Devine, et al, got a realy good look at this kid. Was Reggie underrated? Of course,but while Reggie gets to go be a top 4 guy on a bad defensive team, we get a defenseman that showed a lot of promise, stalled a little, and could find his way back with his former coach AND a late first rounder.

It's a fair trade considering the risk of a 35 pick, but if Compher plays a full season in the NHL, I think we easily got our money's worth.

EDIT: And if you go back and look at the trade deadline value thread, most of us had Sekera at a 2nd round pick plus a roster/3rd/4th. I guess if the trade is fair, half of us would like it and the other half would dislike it.

Archived