Sekera dealt to the Canes

inkman

One other thing that I don't think you guys have considered is that whenMcBain does anything this year, he is on the last year of his deal and at the least will be a perfect trade deadline rental to get another pick for next year. This is of course if WHEN your guys are in rebuild mode and out of the hunt.

Why yes, yes we are.

Why yes, yes we are.

I was trying to be a nice guest.

Canes GM put all his eggs in the forward basket and has ignored the defense. Even though these contracts all look like Monopoly money to me, it seems like JR has overpaid about $1M a year on all of his big deals and many of those have NTC's attached to them.

EStaal - $8.25M (good player, but 8.25 good?)

Semin - $7M (who was JR bidding against?)

JStaal - $6M (and gave up Sutter, a high 1st, and our best defensive prospect for 48 games since he was to be UFA)

Skinner - $5.725M (way too much for a 2nd contract)

Ruutu - $4.75M (hits everything but the back of the net)

Pitkanen - $4.5M (chases shiny objects)

Gleason - $4M (seems to have regressed in his prime)

Ward - $6.3M (I really like Ward, but that's big money)

Some of those deals may look better in a couple of years, but it really puts the clamps on what JR is able to do now. Take about a million off each of those and they look about right (to me, an internet GM). I know it's worth something to lock up your core, but then what?

As for the Sabres, looking at your contracts on capgeek shows that your GM has a lot more leeway to operate. Vanek and Miller are in the last year of their deals and he has options. Other than Myers, those are the only contracts that have any sticker shock value.

Canes GM put all his eggs in the forward basket and has ignored the defense. Even though these contracts all look like Monopoly money to me, it seems like JR has overpaid about $1M a year on all of his big deals and many of those have NTC's attached to them.

JStaal - $6M (and gave up Sutter, a high 1st, and our best defensive prospect for 48 games since he was to be UFA)

Some of those deals may look better in a couple of years, but it really puts the clamps on what JR is able to do now. Take about a million off each of those and they look about right (to me, an internet GM). I know it's worth something to lock up your core, but then what?

As for the Sabres, looking at your contracts on capgeek shows that your GM has a lot more leeway to operate. Vanek and Miller are in the last year of their deals and he has options. Other than Myers, those are the only contracts that have any sticker shock value.

LMAO!

As for the Sabres contracts Leino and Stafford we consider overpayed but I see what you mean. The Canes have major issues with their defense. Reggie definitely helps you and is a good player. But I was very surprised they drafted Lindholm instead of Nurse. It was the right move to do but I was still surprised.

That does explain why Corvo keeps coming back.

Love the "chases shiny objects" comment.

LMAO!

Reggie definitely helps you and is a good player. But I was very surprised they drafted Lindholm instead of Nurse. It was the right move to do but I was still surprised.

He'll be a big help, and his sweetheart contract was what JR really covetted. I said early on that I wanted the Canes to take the best available D-man with every pick this year, throw it all at the wall, and see if anything stuck. You just can't ignore defense forever. It takes a while to develop them and I think JR (and many fans) are too impatient. JR has said before that he doesn't like to take them high in the draft because by the time they develop, you lose them to free agency. Okay, fine. That leaves the only way to get a stud defenseman is to trade for one or sign one. Who is going to trade away a stud defenseman? What does a stud defenseman bring on the open free agent market? Do you see a problem with JR's philosophy? I do.

Your GM took 2 highly regarded defensemen high in the draft. I like that approach.

As for Joni and the shiny objects, I have often said that if I were on the opposing team, I'd bring a laser pointer to the game to distract Joni. Just keep shining it in the corner.

Regier on McBain in press conference, verbatim: "He's a good puck mover and can play on your powerplay unit, probably the second one. He had a tough year last year, and he's someone that Ron knows from the National (Team Development) Program. John Hynes (former coach of the U-17 NTDP, now coach of Wilkes-Barre Scranton), whom Ron worked with, had very good things to say about him, and we look for him to get back on track career-wise."

Regier on McBain in press conference, verbatim: "He's a good puck mover and can play on your powerplay unit, probably the second one. He had a tough year last year, and he's someone that Ron knows from the National (Team Development) Program. John Hynes (former coach of the U-17 NTDP, now coach of Wilkes-Barre Scranton), whom Ron worked with, had very good things to say about him, and we look for him to get back on track career-wise."

And Ales Kotalik is an NHL player who will have every opportunity to make the team :P

And Ales Kotalik is an NHL player who will have every opportunity to make the team :P

Beat me to it.

That Kotalik BS was the first thing I thought of when I heard DR ramble on about McBain. Maybe DR is truthful this time, but I have my doubts.

EDIT TO ADD:

Of course, he may be talking about getting his career back on track in Rochester, or on another NHL team.

So now you're suggesting that GMs will say whatever they have to in order to make themselves good, but a few days ago you were willing to take Rutherford at his word on this deal? ;)

So now you're suggesting that GMs will say whatever they have to in order to make themselves good, but a few days ago you were willing to take Rutherford at his word on this deal? ;)

I was pissed we didn't trade up, and then pissed we passed on Nichushkin. Leave me alone! :bag:

• 2 months later...

i do sort of wonder precisely what he meant by this.

does he mean everything related to hockey is better in carolina?

that the weather is better?

that the tax burdens are better than in nys?

that the night life is better?

that the preponderance of euro douche bags is higher in the research triangle?

No. Not when you play in an arena where you play second fiddle to NC State basketball.

It is, but not by as much as you'd think. I hate the summers here as much as I did winter in WNY.

It is, but he'd have to get traded to Anaheim or LA for it to be worse. NC is catching up though.

Glenwood south vs. Chippewa is a draw.

It is without question. I have two euros with high doiuchebaggery quotients sitting within 15 feet from me as I type this.

Who needs context when we want to rant about one single quote? That's what the internet is all about.

@BNHarrington

Sekera's agent. RT @walsha Sekera was responding to a question about the weather. @JoeYerdonPHT

Well he probably will spend his summers over in Europe so he won't have to endure that brutal part of the year here, but Andrej you play for the Hurricanes now, let's hope that one day you don't encounter a real one. No fun.

Well he probably will spend his summers over in Europe so he won't have to endure that brutal part of the year here, but Andrej you play for the Hurricanes now, let's hope that one day you don't encounter a real one. No fun.

In the end, no big deal:

@BNHarrington

Canes PR head. Rt @MikeSundheim Andrej Sekera’s quote was about weather. Hear the full context at 1:40 mark here: http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio1314/sekera091213.mp3 …

Archived