Sekera dealt to the Canes

inkman

McBain scored this OT Winner in March 2011 to beat the Sabres in Raleigh. I know that Canes fans were pretty high on him at the time, because I was at the game and my buddy predicted a McBain goal earlier in the game.

He has lost his way. If we can get him back on track we win this trade hands down. He was mediocre two years ago and awful this year. However, i'm hoping Ronny shows him the error of his ways.

Are there many Mcdonald's in Buffalo?

I know nothing of McBain's training issues, but with Carolina's depleted blueline he was forced into shutdown minutes and he looked out of place - - he's got a pretty decent shot - - but he's not a shutdown guy.

I'm open minded. A change of scenery could do wonders for him.

Canes fan here.

McBain started out looking like the real deal, but he was a slow starter every year because he came in to camp out of shape. He got in the coach's dog house and has been a healthy scratch at times. As for his play, he isn't exactly what you would call defensively responsible nor does he hit anything except for the buffet. As far as him on the PP, have you seen the Canes PP? He is still young and may bounce back. Every GM thinks they can fix the player.

JR was trying to move him to clear the salary and it looks like he packaged that with the pick to pry loose a dependable D-man that is an upgrade over McBain. Some Canes fans are upset because they though JR was going to grab a flashier name, but it wasn't in the cards or the budget. We are all still sitting here hoping that he doesn't bring back Joe Corvo again.

[/size]

that one stings.

He's a big enough guy to be a hitter, but he shies away from contact. As for the buffet, I don't know if he gets fat or just out of shape in the off season. He is always a slow starter because of his conditioning.

i appreciate the insight, super dave. i had hoped that mcbain was more of a solid if unspectacular 6th d-man, rather than an unfocused under-achiever. but clearly the sabres think they can get something out of him -- this wasn't a 2nd for sekera and "here, we'll take the dough boy off your hands."

IMO, sekera is a solid piece of a second D pairing (the mobile, offensively minded one). the sabres haven't had a guy who could skate like sekera since (brian) campbell went to san jose.

Just got back into phone/computer range after being away on a cruise since Friday morning. So the Sabres did not trade Vanek or Miller, but did trade arguably their 2nd best defenseman who has a decent contract. I truly am coming back to reality.

Vacation done...back to suffering!!!

IMO, sekera is a solid piece of a second D pairing (the mobile, offensively minded one). the sabres haven't had a guy who could skate like sekera since (brian) campbell went to san jose.

Canes need that. Currently they have Pitkanen, who is spectacular at times and chases shiny objects in the corner at times. Gleason, who is steady, but not the fleetest of foot. The best of the bunch is Faulk, who is young, but the real deal. Harrison is a steady, solid, 3rd pairing guy. After that...not much. Sekera fills out that top 4.

Maybe a wake up call is what McBain needs...that...and Buffalo wings.

Sekera is an upgrade for CAR. McBain is ok in the offensive zone, but he is a trainwreck when he gets close to his own net. CAR fans were screaming for his hide by the end of the season. CAR lost Justin Faulk and Joni Pitkanen to injury for parts of last season. McBain got a lot more minutes than he would have normally. He did not step up. While he was a plus player for the Canes, his dumb defensive zone mistakes probably cost the team at least 3-4 games.

As a CAR season ticket holder, I'm glad he's gone. This team's defense is horrific. Sekera will see plenty of minutes and can only improve what is one of the worst defenses in the league. People here are still blown away be the rumor that the Sabres offered us Sekera and the #8 pick in exchange for the #5. We probably could have had Sekera and Risto. Instead we get another forward that we dont really need right now. Teams with no defensive size or depth rarely make the playoffs let alone succeed in them. BUF is moving in the right direction. CAR is not.

McBain is similar to Sekera... Quick, good with puck, decent shot, not overly physical. He was a stud with Wisconsin, had a few good years in Carolina, then fell apart last year.

I get the feeling McBain was a throw-in. IMHO, this move was all about getting another draft pick and clearing space for the youngsters to fight for a roster spot on D.

From the outside looking in, I'd say that at worst, McBain is a one year place holder until one of the drafted D-men get a little seasoning. He's a RFA next summer and will be cheap to re-sign if he works out. At least your organization can see the writing on the wall and committed to the rebuild instead of nibbling around the edges forever.

Archived