Sekera dealt to the Canes

inkman

I think you have to look at it as soft D-man making $3 mil for #35...who in turn is a solid potential 2-way forward in a few years.... If anyone remembers the last time the Sabres were in the playoffs....Sekera was a timid little boy. He has improved his game in the regular season, but when the chips are down, I still can't trust him. Fine with this......and in one of the few times I will defend Darcy, he does have an eye for nimble defensemen. If he is sold on the 1st picks yet we have gone grit up front in the 2nd....I can't cry too much.

Yea well, you also compared our 1st round picks to previous Sabres defenders who they absolutely do not compare to :P

Canes fans hate the trade as well for what it's worth.

Doesn't surprise me. Plenty of Sabres fans woefully underrate Sekera, so I wouldn't expect fans of another team to know much of anything about him.

I'm still confused as to why we are taking any GM at his word today

I'm not sure what incentive Rutherford would have to blatantly lie about it after the fact. "Yea we tried to move back but the offer was rejected. Oh hi there Elias, we <3 you!" Just don't see it.

So, I will miss Sekera but I really like Compher. With Rasmus and Nikita now on the team, Sekera's time was limited. Canes fans should be happy. Reggie is a very solid top4 defender.

I just checked out letsgocanes and they have no idea who Sekera is. But noone there (all 3 of them :w00t: ) seemed heartbroken to give up McBain for an unknown. More and more it sounds like Sekera for a 2nd rd pick. McBain is roster filler until the kids are ready. "suffering"

Yea well, you also compared our 1st round picks to previous Sabres defenders who they absolutely do not compare to :P

I actually went to the arena. The reaction when they made the 1st pick was pretty much the reaction at a Bills game in Early November when the Bills are 3-6, and they are losing 20-13 in the 4th quarter with 7 minutes left....and it's 3rd and 8 at the opponent 42 yard line......then Fitz rolls out and throws an interception. It was anticlimactic resignation........

I actually went to the arena. The reaction when they made the 1st pick was pretty much the reaction at a Bills game in Early November when the Bills are 3-6, and they are losing 20-13 in the 4th quarter with 7 minutes left....and it's 3rd and 8 at the opponent 42 yard line......then Fitz rolls out and throws an interception. It was anticlimactic resignation........

I still have no idea why you're not jumping for joy, they're exactly the type of players you love.

Canes fans throwing a party to get rid of McShame had a couple of ok years and lastbyarbwas everyone's picking boy.

I just checked out letsgocanes and they have no idea who Sekera is. But noone there (all 3 of them :w00t: ) seemed heartbroken to give up McBain for an unknown. More and more it sounds like Sekera for a 2nd rd pick. McBain is roster filler until the kids are ready. "suffering"

letgocanes usually averages three visitors a day offseason and five a day during the season.

One of the problems for the Sabres last year was the PK, they were awful. They used 5 defenseman between about 50-80 minutes for the year. Thus each of the 5 end up playing about 1 mythical game shorthanded.

Sekera lost that mythical game 5-3

Ehrhoff lost that game 10-4

Regehr 13-3

Weber 15-2

Myers 16-1

Leopold 10-0

I think the best way to value defenseman is the average opponent forwards PP minutes. This means to me that the coach put you on the ice when the best opponent forwards were out there.

Regehr 6.15

Sekera 5.81

Ehrhoff 5.47

Sulzer 5.4

Myers 5.39

Weber 5.04

I believe this trade happened because 2 years ago Regier told Pegula that if we front load the Sekera contract, we can get this excellent deal in 2 years because the cash outlay to Sekera is now very small. We get to now and Regier has to make this trade to save face.

Or maybe he believes PK effectiveness doesn't matter and the coach will find someone new to put on the ice when faced with OV and Crosby.

Because he has trade value. They just happened to take the wrong trade.

Kind of surprised they traded him as well, but with McNabb and McCabe on the way and figuring 1 of the 2 picked in the 1st will pan out he was the most expendable of those listed (minus the oh too obvious 1st name on the list).

Also, kind of surprised that I don't hate this trade. I think I'm pretty numb to their moves at this point. Go figure.

The Russian is ok....but we had a decent D pipeline.....We have Ott, and Foligno up front. Horvat and Lazar would have been Peca and Gare with a little luck. You can pick up Lydman and Ference in FA and you have a better shot on D.

I think this is the kind of pain Darcy was talking about. Give up a quality, productive player who has probably not reached his potential, for a potential leader and Selke guy.

If Compher reaches the kinds of projections they have for him, it's a win in the long term. But I understand the many here who are not comfortable with Regier being given the long-term duty of building this team over again.

Hey Ghost, the wife and I were in the Lexus Club. I have to tell you that you are completely correct, the fans in there hated it. And they let KS and the other broadcasters know it.......

Hey Ghost, the wife and I were in the Lexus Club. I have to tell you that you are completely correct, the fans in there hated it. And they let KS and the other broadcasters know it.......

Maybe that's why Sylvester let ONE caller onto the show today (right after the pick) just so that he could cut him off immediately and criticize him for not liking the pick.

What a circus this team is.

Maybe that's why Sylvester let ONE caller onto the show today (right after the pick) just so that he could cut him off immediately and criticize him for not liking the pick.

What a circus this team is.

Lay off Kevin. What's he ever done wrong?

Yet he was willing to deal Sekera for McBain (who from what I know isn't anywhere near Sekera's class as far as lock-down ability goes) and a prospect with a ~20% chance of making the NHL? Ugh. Speechless if this is true.

What Sekera is today is not as valuable as a player whose ceiling is unknown. You can't get top end players by keeping holding on to your middling players and not taking risks.

I can't think of one thing he's ever done wrong. Maybe someone can tell me?

Besides talking?

He told me to smile once. I didn't want to.

Did he have that smirk of his on his face when he said it?

Archived