2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Hockeysfuture had the Sabres with the #8 prospect pool in the league before this draft. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us move into the top 5 when they update it. I'll also be curious to see Hockey Prospectus' organizational rankings, which should be out this week.

With 1 glaring hole a top flight center...

Been saying it now since Briere and Drury left.

Edited by North Buffalo

We need one franchise guy to be the one we build everything around.

It could be Grigorenko, it might even be Girgensons (based on how strong he came on last year), or it might be someone we still have to draft if we really tank this coming year.

We need one franchise guy to be the one we build everything around.

It could be Grigorenko, it might even be Girgensons (based on how strong he came on last year), or it might be someone we still have to draft if we really tank this coming year.

Problem is Sabres are hanging their hats on lets call it a "Wish Sandwich" "There could be some meat coming, but I only see two pieces of bread right now...."

Nice job Numark. Looking at the list, Sabres have a lot of centers projected to be 3rd shift guys... Yet Darcy didn't think to draft a first line guy. Hopefully Locke or one of the 2nd round centers surprises us. ? So the Sabres are going live with a bunch of 3rd line centers for the next 5 years. That will work... not..

Darcy didn't "think" to get into the top 2 picks? That's where the only projected #1 scoring line centers were drafted.

Really nice job on your write up, and it looks like you put a lot of time and effort into this.

I disagree with a few of rankings but most of my views are only slightly different from yours. After the first ten to fifteen players I don’t think a rank number means much. The top 4 have the highest end potential, and the only top 2 defensemen/top line player. The rest of the top 15 show top 4 defensive potential or top 9 forwards, skilled third line players are extremely valuable and necessary.

(1) Mikhail Grigorenko

(2) Joel Armia

(3) Jake McCabe

(4) Rasmus Ristolainen

(5) Mark Pysyk

(6) Johan Larsson

(7) Zemgus Girgensons

(8) Matt Hackett

(9) Nikita Zadorov

(10) Brayden McNabb

(11) Daniel Catenacci

(12) Corey Tropp

(13) Justin Kea

(14) Chad Ruhwedel

(15) Brady Austin

I don't think Drury was ever a #1 center, and Briere while he was a favorite of mine was a tweener #1/2. If the Sabres can find two guys who would be classified as #2 centers between Hodgson, Grigs, Girgensons, and Larsson, I'll be happy.

Really nice job on your write up, and it looks like you put a lot of time and effort into this.

I disagree with a few of rankings but most of my views are only slightly different from yours. After the first ten to fifteen players I don’t think a rank number means much. The top 4 have the highest end potential, and the only top 2 defensemen/top line player. The rest of the top 15 show top 4 defensive potential or top 9 forwards, skilled third line players are extremely valuable and necessary.

(1) Mikhail Grigorenko

(2) Joel Armia

(3) Jake McCabe

(4) Rasmus Ristolainen

(5) Mark Pysyk

(6) Johan Larsson

(7) Zemgus Girgensons

(8) Matt Hackett

(9) Nikita Zadorov

(10) Brayden McNabb

(11) Daniel Catenacci

(12) Corey Tropp

(13) Justin Kea

(14) Chad Ruhwedel

(15) Brady Austin

Jake McCabe is becoming the "Next One" on this board. I haven't seen him rated as highly anywhere but this board. He is a decent prospect who still may develop into a top pairing guy, but right now the betting money is against it.

I don't think Drury was ever a #1 center, and Briere while he was a favorite of mine was a tweener #1/2. If the Sabres can find two guys who would be classified as #2 centers between Hodgson, Grigs, Girgensons, and Larsson, I'll be happy.

True in many respect, but those two could score, play together or on separate lines and they had magic at end of the game with it on the line. A young Roy was the third center and they had guys like Sanderson and Plante who could flat out fly and score. Toughness was an issue but hustle wasn't. The Sabres now have some toughness especially on D... much improved. But potentially losing Vanek and a dirth of scoring... Stafford is still here, why that head case is still around, just can't figure. The near future is going to be tough to digest. My only really hope is that again they finish dead last and get the number 1 pick, though I doubt it.

Gonna be a long season.

Edited by North Buffalo

True in many respect, but those two could score, play together or on separate lines and they had magic at end of the game with it on the line. A young Roy was the third center and they had guys like Sanderson and Plante who could flat out fly and score. Toughness was an issue but hustle wasn't. The Sabres now have some toughness especially on D... much improved. But potentially losing Vanek and a dirth of scoring... Stafford is still here, why that head case is still around, just can't figure. The near future is going to be tough to digest. My only really hope is that again they finish dead last and get the number 1 pick, though I doubt it.

Gonna be a long season.

You are mixing up eras. Sanderson and Plante never played with Drury and Briere.

The draft, to me, read like the Sabres stocked up on D (obvs) and hard-working 2-3 line forwards. My guess is they expect to pick those 1st line guys through FA (somewhat unlikely) or in the draft next year (expecting a lean year this year). I'm OK with that. If we pick and trade for two 1-15 picks in 2014, seems like a decent plan as D take longer to develop.

Knowing the Sabres, they'll be plucky upstarts enough to pick around 10 again and screw it up.

@BuffNewsVogl

Mikhail Grigorenko will be on Sabres' roster all next season. Regier says he won't be returned to juniors and not eligible for AHL.

This is good news and I really expected as much.

Lets hope it's not a *meet the new coach, same as the old coach* situation.

And he better not be on the third and / or fourth line the whole damn season.

Makes sense. The guy has nothing to learn in the Q

Absolutely agree....Time for him to start the payoff on the potential.

This x 100.

Makes sense. The guy has nothing to learn in the Q

Absolutely agree....Time for him to start the payoff on the potential.

Baptism by fire for all the youngsters. DR said suffering so let's bring on the pain.

I doubt we're that high anymore after trading Riley Boychuck.

Hey, how many blue chip prospects does a team need?

edit: I also edited the rankings a little and added this bad boy

Prospect Overview

5 Star Players: 0

4 Star Players: 5 (1 of which is 4½)

3 Star Players: 9 (5 of which are 3½)

2 Star Players: 12 (8 of which are 2½)

1 Star Players: 8 (4 of which are 1½)

Nationalities: 14 Americans, 11 Canadians, 3 Russians, 3 Swedes, 2 Finns, 1 Latvian

Edited by Numark