2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

I know this isn't going to be popular but I'd move Grigs down near the bottom of that list. I think he'll be there by seasons end anyway.

I can't speak for Inky, but no one here has seen him do a single GD thing at the NHL level. He was a complete non-factor last year. Any expectations that anyone here has for him are based solely on draft hype, not on NHL-level performance (with full respect to SFiNS and anyone else who saw him play a lot in juniors).

You are right that he's young, and that's why I'm not giving up on him yet. But there is no reason to expect him to contribute anything this year.

I tend to agree after Rookie Camp. The sad thing is in July I was saying he would tear it up this year. I think we should be very happy is Grigorenko gets 10g and 15a. I worry about him after that camp a lot more than I did before.

That being said he is 19 and only 6 months younger than our first rounder from this year Ristolainen. I think we may need to content ourselves with Grigs coming along slowly and the fact he may not "light it up" either ever or at least for 3more years.

The rookie camp is concerning, but i'll reserve judgement till i see this season

As will we all, I expect. My point is simply that there is no reason whatsoever to think that Griggy will be able to occupy a top-2 center slot in the NHL this year -- and most of the projected lineups that people here are posting have him in one of those slots. Based on last year plus rookie camp plus the fact that he's a lousy skater, I don't expect it to happen this year.

OTOH, I've heard/read enough people raving about how Zemgus's 2nd half of the season last year plus playoffs to predict that he will play more and better for the Sabres this year than Griggy will.

As will we all, I expect. My point is simply that there is no reason whatsoever to think that Griggy will be able to occupy a top-2 center slot in the NHL this year -- and most of the projected lineups that people here are posting have him in one of those slots. Based on last year plus rookie camp plus the fact that he's a lousy skater, I don't expect it to happen this year.

OTOH, I've heard/read enough people raving about how Zemgus's 2nd half of the season last year plus playoffs to predict that he will play more and better for the Sabres this year than Griggy will.

Grigorenko just sort of takes the 2nd line center slot by default, though. I don't think people are putting him there because they expect him to play to that level as a 19/20 year old, they are just doing it because Darcy doesn't have any other centers on the roster. That, and the dumb CHL-AHL age rule.

Grigorenko just sort of takes the 2nd line center slot by default, though. I don't think people are putting him there because they expect him to play to that level as a 19/20 year old, they are just doing it because Darcy doesn't have any other centers on the roster. That, and the dumb CHL-AHL age rule.

You are probably right that that is the reason people are slotting him there, but I think that if there isn't substantial improvement over last year, it's going to be 4th line or healthy scratch for Griggy and we'll see Ennis, Girgensons, Leino or Porter in that slot.

I for one am not even close to ready to proclaim Girgensons is prepared to play big time NHL minutes. Without even looking at other teams, I'd think the recent displays by Gragnani, Ennis and Foligno would be enough to heavily discount Girgensons' short hot streak to close out the year.

August Update

I'll try to do one of these at the beginning of each month to recap what's happened in the previous month. Obviously it's the offseason and nothings going on.....but hey some people aged!

Birthdays: Johan Larsson (21), Justin Bailey (18), Corey Tropp (24), Brian Flynn (25), Linus Ullmark (20)

Prospect No More: Brian Flynn lost prospect eligibility due to reaching age 25

Biggest Jump: Logan Nelson looked great in the annual Blue vs. Gold scrimmage helping lead his team to victory with 2 wonderful goals.

I can't speak for Inky, but no one here has seen him do a single GD thing at the NHL level. He was a complete non-factor last year. Any expectations that anyone here has for him are based solely on draft hype, not on NHL-level performance (with full respect to SFiNS and anyone else who saw him play a lot in juniors).

You are right that he's young, and that's why I'm not giving up on him yet. But there is no reason to expect him to contribute anything this year.

Well as season ticket holder I will tell you one thing he did last year. He provided the loudest I heard in the arena all season when he scored his first goal. I believe he will be a solid contributor and any deficiency he had should blamed on Darcy. Yes Darcy. Kid should have never been allowed to be utilized like he was and should have been sent down after the coach didn't even dress him in the fourth game if I recall. And even if he surface at the bottom of that list he will be a player for a long time I believe.

I for one am not even close to ready to proclaim Girgensons is prepared to play big time NHL minutes. Without even looking at other teams, I'd think the recent displays by Gragnani, Ennis and Foligno would be enough to heavily discount Girgensons' short hot streak to close out the year.

As many others do, I want Girgensons playing all year in Rochester, save for the occasional call-up. 1st line center duty, pk, pp, let him chew up those minutes. Please let this kid develop offensively. Please let him be better than, say, Ryan Kessler.

Edited by qwksndmonster

As many others do, I want Girgensons playing all year in Rochester, save for the occasional call-up. 1st line center duty, pk, pp, let him chew up those minutes. Please let this kid develop offensively. Please let him be better than, say, Ryan Kessler.

I understand this argument but I have a hard time accepting them using up 2 of his three year entry level deal all in Rochester.

(Hockey Prospectus) Top 10 Sabres Propects 2013: http://www.hockeypro...?articleid=1563

Buffalo Sabres Top 10 Prospects

1. Mikhail Grigorenko, Center

2. Rasmus Ristolainen, Defense

3. Nikita Zadorov, Defense

4. Joel Armia, Right Wing

5. Zemgus Girgensons, Center

6. J.T. Compher, Center

7. Mark Pysyk, Defense

8. Johan Larsson, Center

9. Jake McCabe, Defense

10. Brayden McNabb, Defense

Organizational Ranking: 3rd

System Overview

The Sabres boast an elite farm system, anchored mainly by their past two draft classes. Grigorenko is a star prospect, and Buffalo's top five or six prospects are extremely strong. The system's depth is slightly above average, and their pipeline has a lot of players who are close to NHL-ready, which the struggling Sabres sorely need.

Been a while since our system has been this stocked with legitimate prospects, although many of them are still very young. And, we have a bunch more picks again this year, which we can add to if/when we trade Miller and Vanek. As much as I despise Darcy, the new strategy of stockpiling picks and building from within just might pay off in a few years.

(Hockey Prospectus) Top 10 Sabres Propects 2013: http://www.hockeypro...?articleid=1563

Buffalo Sabres Top 10 Prospects

1. Mikhail Grigorenko, Center

2. Rasmus Ristolainen, Defense

3. Nikita Zadorov, Defense

4. Joel Armia, Right Wing

5. Zemgus Girgensons, Center

6. J.T. Compher, Center

7. Mark Pysyk, Defense

8. Johan Larsson, Center

9. Jake McCabe, Defense

10. Brayden McNabb, Defense

Organizational Ranking: 3rd

System Overview

The Sabres boast an elite farm system, anchored mainly by their past two draft classes. Grigorenko is a star prospect, and Buffalo's top five or six prospects are extremely strong. The system's depth is slightly above average, and their pipeline has a lot of players who are close to NHL-ready, which the struggling Sabres sorely need.

If i remember correctly, at the time of the trade, Larrson was minnies 3rd ranked prospect. He's slated at 8 here? is that saying more about a lack of development on his part or are we really that much better off than them in the prospect department?

Edited by BuffaloSoldier2010

If i remember correctly, at the time of the trade, Larrson was minnies 3rd ranked prospect. He's slated at 8 here? is that saying more about a lack of development on his part or are we really that much better off than them in the prospect department?

Hockey Prospectus had Minnesota at 22 in the organizational prospect rankings. I'm betting (and hoping) that in this examination, him moving from 3rd to 8th, is an indicator of the strength of our prospect pool. HP is very much by-the-numbers, as can be seen here, where the math behind the individual rankings are explained.

Do we have a link to those Hockey News rankings?

Hockey Prospectus had Minnesota at 22 in the organizational prospect rankings. I'm betting (and hoping) that in this examination, him moving from 3rd to 8th, is an indicator of the strength of our prospect pool. HP is very much by-the-numbers, as can be seen here, where the math behind the individual rankings are explained.

Do we have a link to those Hockey News rankings?

Yea they really are numbers driven. That is why I don't agree with how they rank guys. Still it is insightful.

So there is this

http://www.thegoosesroost.com/2013/08/state-run-sources/

Basically the Blue Jackets released a video in which they come very close to making several deals with the sabres during the draft. Sure would have changed our prospects up a bit.

Here is the actual draft video from CBJ

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=85098