2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

I'm even more excited for what Possler is doing over in Sweden. Impressive stuff. Naturally that won't continue either, but hey, gotta look for *something* this year :lol:

Possler is off to a terrific start too. When I first saw the numbers, I assumed it was a minor league in Sweden but he's leading MoDo in the top league over there.

One piece of good news tonight:

@SabresProspects

Nick Baptiste scores to give him 10 goals in 11 OHL games. Sudbury leads Mississauga 4-3 in the third period.

@SabresProspects

Nick Baptiste scores another. That's 11 goals in 11 games. Kid is doing work. SUD/MISS off to OT tied 5-5. #Sabres

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

One piece of good news tonight:

@SabresProspects

Nick Baptiste scores to give him 10 goals in 11 OHL games. Sudbury leads Mississauga 4-3 in the third period.

@SabresProspects

Nick Baptiste scores another. That's 11 goals in 11 games. Kid is doing work. SUD/MISS off to OT tied 5-5. #Sabres

Baptiste is 5th is goals scored, 15th in scoring in the OHL.

Kid was a top-ranked bantam who disappointed somewhat in his early junior career.

Given that he plays with grit and edginess suitable for a third-liner, those numbers are a huge bonus.

May be getting a look for Team Canada in the upcoming WJC.

Is there any word on Armia yet? I had thought he'd be back right around this week

Sounds like a couple of weeks of Armia.

More Sabres' Prospect news:

Anthony Florentino, D – Providence College Friars (Hockey East)

The Friars fended off a dangerous Miami squad with a win and a tie over the weekend and Florentino is part of a solid Providence product. The freshman has three points in four games, but more importantly was trusted with penalty-kill time and shifts against the RedHawks’ insane Riley Barber line. Drafted 143rd overall by Buffalo in 2013.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

U.S. Select Team Dominates WJAC Opener

Schmaltz, Hurley, and Knutson lead opening victory

The U.S. Select Team, made up entirely of USHL players, earned a dominating 8-3 win over Russia in the opening game of the 2013 World Junior A Challenge in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.

Karson Kuhlman (Dubuque Fighting Saints) started the scoring just over a minute after the opening faceoff, and then the U.S. Team exploded for five goals in the second period, including two each from Nick Schmaltz (Green Bay Gamblers) and Zeb Knutson (Sioux Falls Stampede).

Kyle Connor (Youngstown Phantoms) and Shane Eiserman (Dubuque Fighting Saints) netted goals in the third period to round out the scoring. Connor Hurley (Muskegon Lumberjacks) finished the night with four points (1g, 3a) to go along with the four-point game for Schmaltz (2g, 2a). Eleven different skaters recorded at least one point for the United States.

Goaltender Cal Petersen (Waterloo Black Hawks) made 22 saves to record the victory. Russian goaltender Maxim Tretiak, the grandson of legendary goaltender Vladislav Tretiak, suffered the loss after entering the game in the second period in relief of starter Sergei Korobov.

If you want to watch that WJAC game go to the link 26CB provided and select Boxscore, they have the video of the game.

Back in action tonight:

@SabresProspects Connor Hurley and Cal Petersen in action tonight as U.S. Jr. Selects take on Switzerland in the semifinals of the World Junior A Challenge.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@SabresProspects

Connor Hurley w/ 2+2, his second 4-point game of tourney, as USA downs SUI 7-4 to advance to final of WJAC. Cal Petersen stops 15/19 for W.

@SabresProspects

Justin Bailey scores his fifth goal of the year as Kitchener claws back to a 4-4 tie with Kingston. Rangers looking to end seven-game skid.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@SabresProspects

Baptiste and Locke leading the way with 1.42 p/g. #Sabres prospects stats through Friday's action >> http://www.sabresprospects.com/2008/01/sabres-prospects-statistics.html …

Most of the guys seem to be producing pretty well.

Catenacci, Hackett have to have the most disappointing numbers.

Baptiste and Ullmark are the biggest positive surprises.

Possler has to rate as "positive" surprise so far as well. As far as Catenacci, I felt all along he was just another internet creation and never expected much.

Possler has to rate as "positive" surprise so far as well. As far as Catenacci, I felt all along he was just another internet creation and never expected much.

I knew a poster had this take on Catenacci bu couldn't remember who. He has some talent but its going to take a lot of work for him to get past the AHL.

I look at Baptiste as an overage player who is beating up on younger kids now. This happens with a whole slew of players in major junior after their draft year. I hope he continues this in the AHL and then in the NHL, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I look at Baptiste as an overage player who is beating up on younger kids now. This happens with a whole slew of players in major junior after their draft year. I hope he continues this in the AHL and then in the NHL, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Please explain how Baptiste is over-aged at 19 when he's not yet eligible to play in the AHL?

Please explain how Baptiste is over-aged at 19 when he's not yet eligible to play in the AHL?

Actually, Baptiste just turned 18 in August. We drafted him the first year he was eligible.

He's cooled down a bit in November but he's still looking like a pretty solid prospect.