2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Nice article on Grigs:

@BillHoppeNHL

My story on Mikhail Grigorenko's summer and his expectations for next season w/a roster spot secured http://tinyurl.com/onlawld

#Sabres #Buffalo

Not that there's anything wrong with this but these articles are all auto linked and can be found on the main page http://www.sabrespace.com/

Mikhail Grigorenko, I think he will light it up this year. Maybe he won't be what some want but I think we will see a different player come the start of the season. I hope Zadorov makes the team but I think he really needs to go back to the OHL for 1 more season. Hearing how much they get along gives me a good feeling. We forget sometimes that players are people and they need some friends. I think Zadorov will be good for Grigs.

“I’ve been skating a lot with the skating coach,” Grigorenko said. “Just everything, I was running a lot on the treadmill. We did a lot of core stuff for upper body and lower body.”

“I was actually hoping (Zadorov) would be drafted by Buffalo,” Grigorenko said. “When Buffalo didn’t pick him at the eighth spot, I thought somebody else would pick him, so I was really excited for the 16th pick.”

Mikhail Grigorenko, I think he will light it up this year. Maybe he won't be what some want but I think we will see a different player come the start of the season. I hope Zadorov makes the team but I think he really needs to go back to the OHL for 1 more season. Hearing how much they get along gives me a good feeling. We forget sometimes that players are people and they need some friends. I think Zadorov will be good for Grigs.

“I’ve been skating a lot with the skating coach,” Grigorenko said. “Just everything, I was running a lot on the treadmill. We did a lot of core stuff for upper body and lower body.”

“I was actually hoping (Zadorov) would be drafted by Buffalo,” Grigorenko said. “When Buffalo didn’t pick him at the eighth spot, I thought somebody else would pick him, so I was really excited for the 16th pick.”

Regardless if Zadorov makes the team this year, he's Sabres "property" now so Grigs knows he'll return. Zadorov probably needs 1 or 2 years worth of honing still and seeing how our depth chart looks, I can see a problem with him making the team regardless.

• 3 weeks later...

(Hockey Prospectus) Top 10 Sabres Propects 2013: http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1563

Buffalo Sabres Top 10 Prospects

1. Mikhail Grigorenko, Center

2. Rasmus Ristolainen, Defense

3. Nikita Zadorov, Defense

4. Joel Armia, Right Wing

5. Zemgus Girgensons, Center

6. J.T. Compher, Center

7. Mark Pysyk, Defense

8. Johan Larsson, Center

9. Jake McCabe, Defense

10. Brayden McNabb, Defense

Organizational Ranking: 3rd

System Overview

The Sabres boast an elite farm system, anchored mainly by their past two draft classes. Grigorenko is a star prospect, and Buffalo's top five or six prospects are extremely strong. The system's depth is slightly above average, and their pipeline has a lot of players who are close to NHL-ready, which the struggling Sabres sorely need.

I know this isn't going to be popular but I'd move Grigs down near the bottom of that list. I think he'll be there by seasons end anyway.

Hoping youre not just going to quote his play last year, despite the fact he was the youngest guy in the entire NHL. Why do you say that?

Hoping youre not just going to quote his play last year, despite the fact he was the youngest guy in the entire NHL. Why do you say that?

I can't speak for Inky, but no one here has seen him do a single GD thing at the NHL level. He was a complete non-factor last year. Any expectations that anyone here has for him are based solely on draft hype, not on NHL-level performance (with full respect to SFiNS and anyone else who saw him play a lot in juniors).

You are right that he's young, and that's why I'm not giving up on him yet. But there is no reason to expect him to contribute anything this year.

I can't speak for Inky, but no one here has seen him do a single GD thing at the NHL level. He was a complete non-factor last year. Any expectations that anyone here has for him are based solely on draft hype, not on NHL-level performance (with full respect to SFiNS and anyone else who saw him play a lot in juniors).

You are right that he's young, and that's why I'm not giving up on him yet. But there is no reason to expect him to contribute anything this year.

Grigo was a non-factor playing for 4 minutes a game on a line with Scott (but i do appreciate he didn't domiante to earn more ice time. Girgenson has never played in the NHL and had a pretty mediocre AHL season (especially the first 48 games) by all accounts - yet people think he will be a stud? Grigo has proven more than Girgs

He also did nothing to stand out at rookie camp

That is the part that concerns me. I can put behind me what I saw last season. He was an overwhelmed 18 yr old. But he should've been a monster at rookie camp.

Grigo was a non-factor playing for 4 minutes a game on a line with Scott (but i do appreciate he didn't domiante to earn more ice time. Girgenson has never played in the NHL and had a pretty mediocre AHL season (especially the first 48 games) by all accounts - yet people think he will be a stud? Grigo has proven more than Girgs

Girgensons proved he can at the very least compete with professionals. Grigorenko has proved nothing. Is he being judged unfairly? Probably but he literally showed nothing. Not one shift, not one deke, not one stride. We saw nothing.

Girgensons proved he can at the very least compete with professionals. Grigorenko has proved nothing. Is he being judged unfairly? Probably but he literally showed nothing. Not one shift, not one deke, not one stride. We saw nothing.

The last game of the season (i think - near the end anyway), he was a beast - best guy on the ice. Proving you can play against professionals is meaningless, there are professional players in the UK, doesn't mean they would hold a candle to the AHL, likewise the AHL doesn't hold a candle to the Finnish league, and SM-liiga o the NHL

The rookie camp is concerning, but i'll reserve judgement till i see this season

In the final game against the Isles last season Grigs was very good. Gives me some hope for the upcoming season.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

And in Regiers wisdom he saw fit to guarantee a roster spot to the kid who apparently won't have to battle to make the team. On the one hand they are trying to foster competition for jobs and on the other they guarantee this guy a spot. Not sure I agree with this.

And in Regiers wisdom he saw fit to guarantee a roster spot to the kid who apparently won't have to battle to make the team. On the one hand they are trying to foster competition for jobs and on the other they guarantee this guy a spot. Not sure I agree with this.

On the roster doesn't mean he'll be handed ice time. No way RR is going for that.

Also, what more is there for the guy in the Q? He tore it up this year. There is no challenge for him there. Guarantee him a roster spot, let him then fight to get ice time