2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Why did Girgensons' contract "slide"? People (capgeek, etc.) have him listed as still

having three years left on his entry-level contract. Did he sign an AHL only contract

last year? Is there some arcane rule that I'm missing? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? SpndnChz?

Didn't play a shift in the NHL yet.

Has to play *X* number (I have forgotten ... 6 ????? maybe) of games in the NHL for the first year to kick in.

Something like that, anyway.

Thanks. I just got off my distracted butt, and did some of my own research. I found out that it's 10

*NHL* games. I thought that it was *pro* games because we normally see prospects burning contracts at

the AHL level. But I guess that most prospects are from the CHL and are already 20 years old; so their

contracts aren't eligible to slide. Also, when young CHL'ers finish their Jr. season early, they normally

sign ATO contracts to wet their feet at the AHL level; so again, they end up sliding. Girgensons is,

I suppose, a rare case, the exception which proves the rule.

Thanks. I just got off my distracted butt, and did some of my own research. I found out that it's 10

*NHL* games. I thought that it was *pro* games because we normally see prospects burning contracts at

the AHL level. But I guess that most prospects are from the CHL and are already 20 years old; so their

contracts aren't eligible to slide. Also, when young CHL'ers finish their Jr. season early, they normally

sign ATO contracts to wet their feet at the AHL level; so again, they end up sliding. Girgensons is,

I suppose, a rare case, the exception which proves the rule.

yea so if girgensons stay in the ahl again this year and plays less then 10 games, the contract will slide again. Ristolainen is in the same boat :P

Why did Girgensons' contract "slide"? People (capgeek, etc.) have him listed as still

having three years left on his entry-level contract. Did he sign an AHL only contract

last year? Is there some arcane rule that I'm missing? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? SpndnChz?

^^^

Pretty sure you can only slide once. I'll look into it.

^^^

Pretty sure you can only slide once. I'll look into it.

He signed when he was 18 so it can be extended one additional year if he doesn't get his 10 NHL games this year.

ARTICLE 9 9.2-9.3

(ii) In the event that a Player signs his first SPC at age 18 and has had his SPC

extended pursuant to Subsection (i), and such Player does not play at least

ten (10) NHL Games in the second season under that SPC, then the term

of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be

extended for one (1) additional year. Unless a Player and Club expressly

agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional

year in accordance with this Subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the

exception of Signing Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games

played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses, shall be extended; provided,

however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be extended in all

circumstances.

I'm assuming I'm doing the math right on his age. I'm too tired right now to pay much attention to it.

Yea that is correct. The way they calcualte the age is if his birthdate is before/on or after September 15th. And you can slide a contract up to 2 times, as long as you are udner 20 years old. So since girgensons was born before september 16, he is considered 19 years old this year. Meaning he can slide his contract again. Now Ristolainen is a little different. Even though he is 18 years old, he turns 19 after September 15th, so he is considered 19 years old for this year of his contract. Meaning he can slide his contract this year, but he wouldn't be able to next year (as he would be considered 20 years old).

Edited by Numark

• 2 weeks later...

@coreypronman

For ESPN Insiders: The Top 100 NHL Prospects http://insider.espn....pects-2013-14 …

Grigo #7, Risto #14, Nikita #32, Armia #63, Zemgus #73, and Compher #91

Grigorenko was a top QMJHL player and had a great WJC for Russia, but he struggled once he got to the professional level in Buffalo. He was eventually sent down by the Sabres, even though a year of his entry-level deal had already been burned based on his playing time. Grigorenko's offensive ceiling remains very high, as he is an amazing passer with a lot of skill and shiftiness in a big body. He has areas to address, and is not a perfect prospect, but he is still one of the best due to his pure offensive potential.

Ristolainen did not make headlines in 2012-13 -- as he was playing overseas and struggled at the WJC -- but his time in the SM-Liiga was very successful, especially in the second half where he took on a ton of responsibility. He is a big, tough, mobile puck mover, and he played pretty significant minutes for a player his age in a good league. He projects as a do-it-all defenseman for Buffalo and could get to the NHL pretty quickly.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I saw that one over the weekend.

Not sure what the writers credentials are, or what hes basing those rankings on.

But it sure doesn't match with my impressions.

I saw that one over the weekend.

Not sure what the writers credentials are, or what hes basing those rankings on.

But it sure doesn't match with my impressions.

It does seem like he has some of the prospects slotted incorrectly. Hackett and Makarov too high with Zemgus and Larsson too low for example.

I feel like I should start a thread for stuff about the Sabres' P.R. (in-game experience, social media, overall marketing, etc.).

Anyway, for those who follow the team on Twitter, you may have noticed that the feed has been using #Blueprint as a hashtag this summer in connection with posts regarding the team's prospects. Have a look yourself:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Blueprint&src=hash

The hashtag started to annoy me when I saw it for the 4th or 5th time and realized it was, you know, a thing. Reason being: No one has a feckin' clue whether the current stable of prospects is, in fact, a blueprint for future success. Maybe one or two of them will become top-line/pairing players in a few years. Maybe a few others will become contributors over the same period of time. Maybe some of them will be moved to bring in NHL role players who will contribute to a team looking to sneak into the playoffs. Maybe most of them won't stick in the NHL. Maybe a lot of things.

And as a guy tweeting as 3rdmanin noted:

#Blueprint = Florida Panthers marketing campaign in 2011. #Blueprint = @BuffaloSabres idea of original marketing in 2013. #goodjobgoodeffort

I feel like I should start a thread for stuff about the Sabres' P.R. (in-game experience, social media, overall marketing, etc.).

Anyway, for those who follow the team on Twitter, you may have noticed that the feed has been using #Blueprint as a hashtag this summer in connection with posts regarding the team's prospects. Have a look yourself:

https://twitter.com/...eprint&src=hash

The hashtag started to annoy me when I saw it for the 4th or 5th time and realized it was, you know, a thing. Reason being: No one has a feckin' clue whether the current stable of prospects is, in fact, a blueprint for future success. Maybe one or two of them will become top-line/pairing players in a few years. Maybe a few others will become contributors over the same period of time. Maybe some of them will be moved to bring in NHL role players who will contribute to a team looking to sneak into the playoffs. Maybe most of them won't stick in the NHL. Maybe a lot of things.

And as a guy tweeting as 3rdmanin noted:

#Blueprint = Florida Panthers marketing campaign in 2011. #Blueprint = @BuffaloSabres idea of original marketing in 2013. #goodjobgoodeffort

The Sabres really are just blowing chunks in the marketing department this offseason aren't they?

I think we should definitely have a thread dedicated to PR. I bet this forum could do the job much better.

Edited by d4rksabre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Grigorenko-esque

I would say it's better than what Grigorenko used to do because Baptiste is doing it in a league where they actually play defense.

Obviously he will not continue a 2ppg pace, but he still deserves some attention for flying out of the gates like this.

isnt the OHL known for stronger defense than the Q too? pretty impressive building off his good camp in buffalo

Zadorov plays in the OHL (he will again this year) and yes it is a better defensive league. The Q is known for being offense oriented. I saw posted I think here somewhere a guide that showed the adjusted goals for Junior players to the NHL level. The Q was like .3 or something less than the O.

I would say it's better than what Grigorenko used to do because Baptiste is doing it in a league where they actually play defense.

Obviously he will not continue a 2ppg pace, but he still deserves some attention for flying out of the gates like this.

I'm even more excited for what Possler is doing over in Sweden. Impressive stuff. Naturally that won't continue either, but hey, gotta look for *something* this year :lol: