2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Interesting video. I'm a bit surprised the Sabres were interested in Domi.

What struck me watching the video was how agreeable they were. Had half of this board been in the room, we would have said "Wennberg? You jokin?" with Lazar and Gauthier on the board.

Interesting video. I'm a bit surprised the Sabres were interested in Domi.

What struck me watching the video was how agreeable they were. Had half of this board been in the room, we would have said "Wennberg? You jokin?" with Lazar and Gauthier on the board.

...Actually I would have been like Wennberg???? YES YES YES!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

RANKINGS!!!!!

http://www.sabrespro...-preseason.html

I found the Ullmark ranking interesting.

Also Zadorov has higher potential than McCabe... if Zadorov became solid like McCabe with is size... I'd be happier than a augustus gloop at a candy factory.

Good read. I wish I were as optimistic as he is about Griggy, though.

I found the Ullmark ranking interesting.

It has him about 4 spots below the start of the guys that probably won't make the NHL. Did you think his ceiling was higher? (I have no idea how good he has looked)

Good read. I wish I were as optimistic as he is about Griggy, though.

It looked like a PR piece for the Sabres. He had an up and down season. Isn't that like saying the titanic had an up and down voyage? Come on, he was awful. It may click for him, I'm hoping but not liking his chances, but to call his rookie season anything but a complete disaster is erroneous.

It looked like a PR piece for the Sabres. He had an up and down season. Isn't that like saying the titanic had an up and down voyage? Come on, he was awful. It may click for him, I'm hoping but not liking his chances, but to call his rookie season anything but a complete disaster is erroneous.

Not liking his chances based on the amount of games he played and the situations he was put in last year is the real erroneous thing here IMO.

It has him about 4 spots below the start of the guys that probably won't make the NHL. Did you think his ceiling was higher? (I have no idea how good he has looked)

Not liking his chances based on the amount of games he played and the situations he was put in last year is the real erroneous thing here IMO.

I think I'm in between "complete disaster" and "it wasn't his fault -- he didn't get a chance." I think he got multiple chances and did exactly zero with them. However, I also think it's not really fair to expect much more from an 18-year-old. What I really want is for people to stop kidding themselves that he's going to be a factor this year and to stop pretending that he showed anything last year.

Anything they get from him this year is a bonus.

While I understand and respect your opinion, I just wish I saw anything. A dangle, a dipsy doo, top shelf where momma hides the cookies. Just something. All I saw was a deer in the head lights.

I will clarify. I was interested in the ranking because many on this board love Makarov who was ranked below Ullmark. I however really love Ullmark so I just found it interesting someone else ranked him above Makarov. The juxtaposition was the reason for my comment.

While I understand and respect your opinion, I just wish I saw anything. A dangle, a dipsy doo, top shelf where momma hides the cookies. Just something. All I saw was a deer in the head lights.

This is basically where we differ. I saw some things. Some of the passes, some of the reads in the offensive zone. I'm not saying it was overwhelming, and there was definitely lots of deer in the headlights, but I did see some glimpses of his innate talent. Ultimately I think Freeman's assessment is pretty good, although I do have some expectations for him this year.

I think I'm in between "complete disaster" and "it wasn't his fault -- he didn't get a chance." I think he got multiple chances and did exactly zero with them. However, I also think it's not really fair to expect much more from an 18-year-old. What I really want is for people to stop kidding themselves that he's going to be a factor this year and to stop pretending that he showed anything last year.

Anything they get from him this year is a bonus.

This.

I know the league is trending in this direction -- teams need more production sooner from younger and younger guys -- but the fact that an 18 year-old from the QMJHL looked overwhelmed in the NHL was not at all surprising to me. Like freeman, I am expecting little from him this year as well.

I think Freeman's take is bang on too.

But don't forget that as bad as Grigs was in Buffalo, that was more management's fault for rushing him. He looked good when I watched him in the world juniors and was among the best players in Junior hockey last year - dominant among his peers.

When ranking prospects, that has to count for something.

Edited by dudacek

To pile on... I think Rolston will do a much better job of showing Grigorenko what his role is and how to execute it better.

God I hope so. I did see moments of brilliance with his passing, but only few, he looked lost and appeared to lack aggressiveness. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for a short time and hope he doesn't turn into another Luke Adam. The Sabres need a number 1 center.

The kid is 18.

He will be a very good NHL player in 5 to 7 years.

By that time the Sabres will either be ready for the next rebuild, or still working on finishing this one.

Oof and traded him for more draft picks or let him go free agent and sign for another team without any return... wash... rinse and repeat... oof.

The kid is 18.

He will be a very good NHL player in 5 to 7 years.

By that time the Sabres will either be ready for the next rebuild, or still working on finishing this one.

Kids drafted in the top half of te first round should at the very least be noticeable on the ice...for good reasons. Not because he's the worst player on the ice.

Kids drafted in the top half of te first round should at the very least be noticeable on the ice...for good reasons. Not because he's the worst player on the ice.

How many drafted outside the top 10 make the NHL as 18 year olds? Most look like they belong because they're not there until their 20s.