Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I will say that the one awesome thing Facebook has done recently is the option to Unfollow people without Unfriending them. You can now maintain your link to them but you don't have to see any of the sh*t they post all day long. It's a nice middle ground.

You can also block content from particular websites. So if someone loves sharing content from buzzfeed you can block that now.

Agreed. It's helped me tolerate family on Facebook.

Agreed. It's helped me tolerate family on Facebook.

I've got a lot of friends who I generally consider nice people but who are absolutely intolerable when it comes to posting stupid political memes and generally shallow and pedantic misinformation. It's not their fault that they don't know any better and it's unfair to them that I should develop dislike of them because of it. They're still good people. Just...not overly discerning. I like that I can put them in the same comfort zone online that I can put them in real life.

I just got the sweetest email from one of my professors from undergrad. He was passing on some syllabus advice to me and offering his help if needed. I had a meeting last week with everyone and it was the strangest feeling- everyone acts so differently when not in "teacher mode". I was walking down the hall with all these people who were big heroes to me, realizing that I'm working alongside them now.

The head of the department does gorgeous sports illustration, and we were just hanging out talking about his hockey playing days and the Sabres and man... it's such an odd, awesome feeling.

oh, and Happy Draft Day! May the odds be ever in your favor :)

I will say that the one awesome thing Facebook has done recently is the option to Unfollow people without Unfriending them. You can now maintain your link to them but you don't have to see any of the sh*t they post all day long. It's a nice middle ground.

You can also block content from particular websites. So if someone loves sharing content from buzzfeed you can block that now.

I'm far from an avid Facebook user, and I don't need up on most changes. You, sir, have made my day. :beer:

woah woah woah...thank you for this!!

I've got a lot of friends who I generally consider nice people but who are absolutely intolerable when it comes to posting stupid political memes and generally shallow and pedantic misinformation. It's not their fault that they don't know any better and it's unfair to them that I should develop dislike of them because of it. They're still good people. Just...not overly discerning. I like that I can put them in the same comfort zone online that I can put them in real life.

My FB issue is mostly family. I "friended" you only because we are related and it would be awkward to at family gatherings if I unfriend you. But I really don't give a flying ###### about your cat fascination or all those stupid meme's you post. Not following saves me from having to scroll past their mindless crap AND saves holiday gatherings.

Since the Friday thread is locked...

I'm packing up the family truckster and heading up to Buffalo for a week after work today. If all goes as planned I should hear our #2 selection somewhere in the mountains of West Virginia. It will indeed be awesome to escape this brutal NC heat and humidity for a week.

I'm packing up the family truckster and heading up to Buffalo for a week after work today. If all goes as planned I should hear our #2 selection somewhere in the mountains of West Virginia. It will indeed be awesome to escape this brutal NC heat and humidity for a week.

If you do, please stop on your way up and give him a ride.

If my memories of trips between Cincinnati and Baltimore are serving me correctly, there are no communication tools that require electricity to transmit. You will hear nothing in the mountains of West Virginia.

except maybe banjos...

Going to look at a potential wedding venue tonight with the lady. Thinking about the Ramada in Geneva on Seneca Lake. It's right in the middle for our families (mine being in the 716, her's out here in Ithaca area).

Belhurst Castle (also in Geneva) is supposedly very reasonable if you do a Friday wedding.

If my memories of trips between Cincinnati and Baltimore are serving me correctly, there are no communication tools that require electricity to transmit. You will hear nothing in the mountains of West Virginia.

except maybe banjos...

XM radio?

No good. No TV's in the rooms, what would they do all night. :unsure:

;)

hahaha!

Belhurst Castle (also in Geneva) is supposedly very reasonable if you do a Friday wedding.

She looked into that. It was a little pricier, and they are booked solid next year. Would have to look out 2 years, but her sister gets married in 2 years, so we would have to look out 3. :thumbdown:

If Belhurst got your attention try Geneva on the Lake. Similar venue just up the road (closer to Geneva), still has Seneca Lake as a gorgeous backdrop. Got married 2 years ago on Seneca at my parents residence (across from Fox Run Vineyards) and would recommend anywhere on the lake for a wedding :-)

I think Glenora Winery further down 14 also does weddings as well.

If Belhurst got your attention try Geneva on the Lake. Similar venue just up the road (closer to Geneva), still has Seneca Lake as a gorgeous backdrop. Got married 2 years ago on Seneca at my parents residence (across from Fox Run Vineyards) and would recommend anywhere on the lake for a wedding :-)

I think Glenora Winery further down 14 also does weddings as well.

My friends got married at Glenora, and it was great, but she wanted a different venue.

We really liked the Ramada Lakeside. Probably the place.